Promoting Scouting

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2008
      I would like to conduct an experiment, and I am going to need your help to do it. As most
      of you know, February 8th is the 98th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. I would
      like your help to celebrate it in a unique way.

      Currently, there are a few thousand videos on Youtube that feature Scouts or are about
      Scouting. Most of these videos never receive more then a couple hundred views, if they
      even get that many. Only a few have ever hit the 10.000 views mark. I do not think a
      Scouting video has ever made it to the daily top five pages.

      There are millions of Boy Scouts in the USA, and tens of thousands of adult leaders and
      professionals. Add the Scouts and leaders from around the world and we have a
      staggering membership. Even if we get a small percentage of the Scouts and leaders with
      internet access to participate in this I think we could make this work.

      So here is my idea. Let's make a "Youtube Scouting Video Day" on February 8th. Let's try to
      get as many Scouts, adult leaders, friends, and family members to watch Boy Scout videos
      as we are able. Let's see if we can get a video or two to appear on the Youtube front pages
      and really help to promote Scouting to the internet masses, or at least the Youtube
      viewers.

      To make this the most effective I think we need to concentrate our efforts on just a few
      videos, but I encourage you to watch as many as your time table allows. Here are the
      videos I would suggest we watch:

      In The Scout Zone Video (2:24)
      at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKFnGDRaMQU
      The BSA Commercial featuring Jim Lovell (0:30)
      at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNq6WsYIAFI
      A Cub Scout Commercial featuring Steve Young (0:30)
      at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqnkjBArjUo
      and finally, the "What Parents Say About Scouting" (5:52)
      at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1axj3lNc0Q

      This would amount to approximately ten minutes of your time if you watched all four
      videos, ten minutes to help promote Boy Scouting and Cub Scouting on a popular internet
      site. Would you be willing to spend ten minutes trying to bring Scouting videos to the light
      of day for one day?

      So, I ask that you spread the word about "Youtube Scouting Video Day". Copy this
      message and send it to other Scouts and leaders. Let's see if we can't get these videos
      highlighted to the internet masses and promote Scouting on February 8th.