Re: [Scouter_T] Patrol Camping

  • Charles Seltenright
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
      Your missing the point of patrol camping and the
      reasons behind it if you make too much of it.It
      doesent require 2 deep if a group of kids go camping
      as long as the Scoutmaster approves it.The idea is
      they can prove themselves if you can trust them.You
      wouldnt send a bunch of trouble makers out camping on
      there own as a SM would you??If a patrol has proven
      themselves to be capable there is nothing wrong with
      it.Why make it more complicated than it really is??I
      have allowed it many times and never was disappointed
      by the results.It really comes down to the SM's
      judgement if its allowed and whether they can do it
      under the scouting framework.Do you trust those that
      want to go camping??Are they capable of handling it
      and responsible enough??Those are the only questions
      you need to ask yourself and your scouts.
      Charles Seltenright
      Crew 308 Advisor
      Troop 337 ASM

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Alpvalsys@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
        In a message dated 1/18/2008 5:51:13 PM EST, Trish wrote:

        there should be two-deep leadership on hand. This is for everyone's safety
        and protection >

        Back when I was a Scout, shortly after the disappearance of the dinosaurs, we
        didn't camp overnight as a patrol, but we did go afield for a day with no
        adults. Used all kinds of woods tools, without and axe yard, to cut down (green)
        trees. Ahhh! The days before personal injury lawyers. ;-)

        Ralph V. Balfoort, UC
        I used to be a beaver (NE III-135)
        In the Beaver Patrol as a Scout
        And still Ktemaque (Beaver) Chapter,
        Kittan Lodge #364, OA

      • NeilLup@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
          In a message dated 1/18/08 11:59:14 PM, deutche01@... writes:

          > Sorry, but you missed the entire point of Patrol
          > camping. The idea is for them to get AWAY from all the
          > adults and do their own thing. Let 'em go, they can
          > handle it!
          > Yours in Scouting and Service,
          > Doc Marshall

          Sadly, in today's Scouting, the question is not whether kids can handle
          it. (They can.)

          The problem is that if, God forbid, something should happen, the legal
          position of the boys, the unit's adults and the BSA could be exceedingly
          difficult. What has changed since the earlier days of Scouting is societal
          expectations, standard of care and supervision expected by parents, etc. plus the
          exceedingly high level of financial burden caused by settlements, judgements,
          etc.

          Having said that, patrol activities are permitted by the guide to safe
          scouting. What is never permitted is to have an activity with one and only one
          adult.

          Best wishes,

          Neil Lupton

        • Michael Homrighaus
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
            If only it were simply up to the leaders and the boys. Back in the dark
            ages, this was an acceptable practice; not today. The leader campsite
            nearby works, but under no circumstances can we permit a patrol of
            Scouts to camp without 2-deep leadership. It has nothing to do with
            trusting the Scouts; it is solely about liability of the leadership.
            With a many nut cases as there are out there, and as many bad things as
            can happen, there is no choice. Independent patrol camping died with
            the dinosaurs. Sorry.

            Mike Homrighaus
            AA, Venturing Crew 88
            Cortland, NY
            Baden-Powell Council
          • Kevin Pate
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
              > ... there is no choice. Independent patrol camping
              > died with the dinosaurs. Sorry.

              As to the above, I'll agree to disagree, pet Dino,
              wave to Fred and Wilma, and amble on along the trail
              8^)

              Kevin in Norman, America

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Don Wilson
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                Now I am not from Missouri, but this time you gotta show me. Where
                in available literature have you found anything that indicated that a
                patrol may camp without two deep ADULT leadership? A day hike or
                special service project - yes -- but that is the extent of the
                activities that a patrol may practice without required adult
                leadership. Please, tell me I am wrong.

                Don Wilson

                -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
              • Jamie Niss Dunn
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                  Two-Deep Leadership

                  Safe Scouting requires adequate adult leadership. For camps, trips, and outdoor activities, this means having at least two adult leaders, one of whom is at least 21 years old. It is unacceptable to have a camp, trip, or outdoor activity with only one adult present. If only one adult is able to attend, the trip must be cancelled. Ideally, at least three adults will accompany the troop on Scouting on trips. ***(Note that for properly trained Boy Scout patrols, it is acceptable to have outdoor patrol activities with no adults present. Such activities do require Scoutmaster approval.)***

                  http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=promoi&c=http://www.scouting.org/healthandsafety/index.html

                  Emphasis added.

                  Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                  Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                  Cub Scout Training Coordinator

                • Jamie Niss Dunn
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                    "Patrol activities—A Boy Scout patrol or Varsity Scout squad may hike or camp with other patrols or squads in the unit or, with the permission of their Scoutmaster and parents or guardians, may hike or camp on their own."
                    http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-954/index.html

                    Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                    Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                    Cub Scout Training Coordinator

                  • Robert Wilson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                      On Jan 19, 2008 1:06 AM, Don Wilson <don-wilson@...> wrote:

                      > I guess I could say "Way back when....". There was a time when
                      > patrols were able to have a "patrol camp" without two deep
                      > leadership. We spend years training Scouts, a patrol of 15-16-year
                      > old boys and rather than allow them to put that training to the test,
                      > they must have two leaders to camp overnight? If you were in that
                      > patrol, would you feel that the leaders trusted them? Our Scouts are
                      > not feeble minded, if they want to get together and camp they will do
                      > just that, but outside the parameters of Scouting. Could or would
                      > you forbid them to do that?

                      I would hope that older Scouts have the skills to take care of themselves
                      and I could see where they could feel that the adults don't trust them. I
                      would also hope that they would understand policies and rules.

                      What do we teach new Scoutmasters about how patrol camping works? If the
                      policy is that two deep leadership is required, that is what we should
                      teach. If folks deviate from that, it shouldn't be based on what they are
                      taught.

                      Robert

                    • Don Wilson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                        I am glad to be proven wrong -- even when the Scoutmaster Handbook
                        states that "Every campout and short term camp must have a qualified
                        adult leader, at least 21 years of age, in charge and at least one
                        more responsible adult participating.....Scouts may not depart for a
                        camping trip unless a two-adult minimum of leadership is assured."
                        And further: "Two registered adult leaders or one registered adult
                        leader and a parent or guardian of a participant, one of whom must be
                        at least 21 years of age, are required on all trips and outings.
                        .....This requirement also applies to the activities of provisional
                        troops and of the Order of the Arrow."

                        Thanks, Jamie.

                        Don Wilson

                        To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                        From: Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...>
                        Date sent: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:25:28 -0500
                        Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Patrol Camping/Charles
                        Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

                        > "Patrol activities-A Boy Scout patrol or Varsity Scout squad may hike or camp with other patrols or squads in the unit or, with the permission of their Scoutmaster and parents or guardians, may hike or camp on their own."
                        > http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-954/index.html
                        >

                        > Jamie Niss Dunn
                        > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                        > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                        > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                        > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                      • doc marshall
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                          Thanks, Jamie.My guys will cntinue to do Patrol
                          activities (including campouts) with my permission and
                          without any adults present. As to the weirdos, I'd
                          hate to tackle these guys if they got riled up. They
                          are as well-trained in First Aid/CPR as I am, have
                          some means of communication with the outside world,
                          parents have signed waivers AND, they'd probably shoot
                          me if I didn't let 'em go camping. Prepare for the
                          worst (train the boys) then put some trust in them.
                          They are, aftter all, young men.
                          --- Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

                          > "Patrol activities—A Boy Scout patrol or Varsity
                          > Scout squad may hike or camp with other patrols or
                          > squads in the unit or, with the permission of their
                          > Scoutmaster and parents or guardians, may hike or
                          > camp on their own."

                          http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-954/index.html

                          > Jamie Niss Dunn
                          > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                          > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                          > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                          > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

                          > removed]

                        • Charles Seltenright
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                            Ditto thanks Jamie!!
                            You will find you gain stronger leaders and a better
                            troop if you do allow patrols to camp.As young scouts
                            they elect by popularity as they gain age and
                            experience they elect by leadership and
                            experience.With patrol camping they learn this on
                            there own and apply it in the troop without a single
                            leader (adult)having anything to do with it.
                            Trust is huge in patrol camping but if anyone has any
                            doubts, whether leader or parent, it shouldnt be
                            allowed.BP designed scouting to raise young boys into
                            young men.It still works today as it did back then.

                            Charles Seltenright
                            Crew 308 Advisor
                            Troop 337 ASM

                            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                          • corinnajones@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                              You might want to consider that the wilderness area of a council camp could
                              be safer than a state park, considering that we pretty much know who enters
                              a Boy Scout camp, but a public park is a different story. Also, at least in
                              our council we don't need a tour permit for that, but I agree about getting
                              a waiver signed by the parents showing that they're aware of what's being
                              done and the potential risks - this is 2008 after all.
                              Corinna
                            • Robert Wilson
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                I've the #33009B version of the Scoutmaster Handbook and it states at the
                                bottom of page 22, "However, patrols may also set out on day hikes, service
                                projects, and overnighters independent of the troop and free of adult
                                leadership as long as they follow two rules:
                                - The Scoutmaster approves the patrol activity.
                                - The patrol activity does not interfere with any troop function"

                                It goes on to explain about things being well planned and within their
                                ability and stuff like that. The current handbook is version #33009C. I
                                wonder if it has the same statements. I understand the value of giving folks
                                the freedom to do things on their own, after all, we are moving them from
                                dependence to independence. What I'm trying to get straight is what the BSA
                                policy is now on the subject so that when I'm asked, I can tell them what
                                the official policy is. It looks like the documentation contradicts itself.

                                YIS,
                                Robert

                                On Jan 19, 2008 6:26 PM, Don Wilson <don-wilson@...> wrote:

                                > I am glad to be proven wrong -- even when the Scoutmaster Handbook
                                > states that "Every campout and short term camp must have a qualified
                                > adult leader, at least 21 years of age, in charge and at least one
                                > more responsible adult participating.....Scouts may not depart for a
                                > camping trip unless a two-adult minimum of leadership is assured."
                                > And further: "Two registered adult leaders or one registered adult
                                > leader and a parent or guardian of a participant, one of whom must be
                                > at least 21 years of age, are required on all trips and outings.
                                > .....This requirement also applies to the activities of provisional
                                > troops and of the Order of the Arrow."
                                >
                                > Thanks, Jamie.
                                >
                                > Don Wilson
                                >
                                > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                > From: Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...>
                                > Date sent: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:25:28 -0500
                                > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Patrol Camping/Charles
                                > Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                >
                                > > "Patrol activities-A Boy Scout patrol or Varsity Scout squad may hike or
                                > camp with other patrols or squads in the unit or, with the permission of
                                > their Scoutmaster and parents or guardians, may hike or camp on their own."
                                > > http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-954/index.html
                                > >

                                > > Jamie Niss Dunn
                                > > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                > > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                > > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                > > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Don Wilson
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                  The version I have is #33009A, where on page 3 states that: "These
                                  are the minimum requirements for becoming a Scoutmaster or assistant
                                  Scoutmaster: Be at least 21 years of age. I will replace my copy on
                                  Monday.

                                  Yes, I am finding more and more contradictions which might depend on
                                  which version one is reading. The largest problem is Guide to Safe
                                  Scouting. It certainly would be nice if the right hand knew what the
                                  left hand is doing.

                                  Don Wilson

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                    And that, folks, is a classic introduction to BSA
                                    National!