Re: [Scouter_T] Patrol Camping

  • doc marshall
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 17, 2008
      Been there, done that. In fact, I strongly encourage
      Patrols to do not just campouts but all sorts of
      activites. You just need to insure that the activity
      matches the maturity level of the Scouts involved and
      then let them go at it. Been doing this for years with
      no problems and great results. Trust yoour youth and
      empower them - you'll be surprised!
      Yours in Scouting and Service,
      Doc Marshall
      --- joedet <joedet@...> wrote:

      > In going over the YPT video we came upon the Patrol
      > Camping comment.
      >
      > The question I have is.
      >
      > Does anyone know of a Scoutmaster that has approved
      > this and how did it work
      > with only the Patrol Camping without adults?
      >
      > joedet

      > removed]

    • Robert Wilson
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 18, 2008
        How does this work with Tour Permits and the requirements for that?

        Thanks,
        Robert

        On Jan 17, 2008 5:20 PM, joedet <joedet@...> wrote:

        > In going over the YPT video we came upon the Patrol Camping comment.
        >
        > The question I have is.
        >
        > Does anyone know of a Scoutmaster that has approved this and how did it
        > work
        > with only the Patrol Camping without adults?
        >
        > joedet

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Don Wilson
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 18, 2008
          I cannot see a case where a tour permit would be required. The idea
          of Patrol Camping would be for the patrol to either travel by foot or
          be dropped of by a parent -- the camp out should not be that far away
          from the area that the troop serves, and be in a location that
          assistance could be provided should any emergency occur.
          Requirements for drivers would limit the scouts from driving as a
          group, and the two-deep adult leadership would have to be addressed
          in the event that transportation would be required.

          Don Wilson

          To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
          From: "Robert Wilson" <fishnscout@...>
          Date sent: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:36:26 -0500
          Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Patrol Camping
          Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

          > How does this work with Tour Permits and the requirements for that?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Robert
          >

          > On Jan 17, 2008 5:20 PM, joedet <joedet@...> wrote:
          >
          > > In going over the YPT video we came upon the Patrol Camping comment.
          > >
          > > The question I have is.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know of a Scoutmaster that has approved this and how did it
          > > work
          > > with only the Patrol Camping without adults?
          > >
          > > joedet

          > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
          > >
          > > Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
        • Lady T
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 18, 2008
            I can see where tour permit is needed. Here in Texas, it doesn't take much to get pretty far from your normal serving area. When my son was in a relatively new patrol, we took their patrol camping to a State park about an hour and a half away. It was a great place, but we did get a tour permit. And we had more than two deep leadership. Regardless of where the boys camp, even if it's in someone's backyard, there should be two-deep leadership on hand. This is for everyone's safety and protection, not just the boys.

            Make it fun and rewarding, have a great time, but follow BSA policy if you are going as a patrol.

            Trish

            From: "Robert Wilson" <fishnscout@gmail. com>
            Date sent: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:36:26 -0500

            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 18, 2008
              Sorry, but you missed the entire point of Patrol
              camping. The idea is for them to get AWAY from all the
              adults and do their own thing. Let 'em go, they can
              handle it!
              --- Lady T <eagleladyt@...> wrote:

              > I can see where tour permit is needed. Here in
              > Texas, it doesn't take much to get pretty far from
              > your normal serving area. When my son was in a
              > relatively new patrol, we took their patrol camping
              > to a State park about an hour and a half away. It
              > was a great place, but we did get a tour permit.
              > And we had more than two deep leadership.
              > Regardless of where the boys camp, even if it's in
              > someone's backyard, there should be two-deep
              > leadership on hand. This is for everyone's safety
              > and protection, not just the boys.
              >
              > Make it fun and rewarding, have a great time, but
              > follow BSA policy if you are going as a patrol.
              >
              > Trish

            • Robert Wilson
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 18, 2008
                Thanks for your response Don. I'm curious about this because the tour permit
                says ya have to have two leaders on campouts. The way I'd do patrol camping
                is have two deep leadership and have the adults camp in their own patrol a
                short distance away, but close enough to help with safety issues.

                Robert

                On Jan 18, 2008 5:37 PM, Don Wilson <don-wilson@...> wrote:

                > I cannot see a case where a tour permit would be required. The idea
                > of Patrol Camping would be for the patrol to either travel by foot or
                > be dropped of by a parent -- the camp out should not be that far away
                > from the area that the troop serves, and be in a location that
                > assistance could be provided should any emergency occur.
                > Requirements for drivers would limit the scouts from driving as a
                > group, and the two-deep adult leadership would have to be addressed
                > in the event that transportation would be required.
                >
                > Don Wilson
                >
                > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                > From: "Robert Wilson" <fishnscout@...>
                > Date sent: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:36:26 -0500
                > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Patrol Camping
                > Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > > How does this work with Tour Permits and the requirements for that?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Robert
                > >

                > > On Jan 17, 2008 5:20 PM, joedet <joedet@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > In going over the YPT video we came upon the Patrol Camping comment.
                > > >
                > > > The question I have is.
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone know of a Scoutmaster that has approved this and how did
                > it
                > > > work
                > > > with only the Patrol Camping without adults?
                > > >
                > > > joedet

                > > > For subscription and delevery options send a message to:
                > > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
                > > >
                > > > Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/
                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Don Wilson
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 18, 2008
                  I guess I could say "Way back when....". There was a time when
                  patrols were able to have a "patrol camp" without two deep
                  leadership. We spend years training Scouts, a patrol of 15-16-year
                  old boys and rather than allow them to put that training to the test,
                  they must have two leaders to camp overnight? If you were in that
                  patrol, would you feel that the leaders trusted them? Our Scouts are
                  not feeble minded, if they want to get together and camp they will do
                  just that, but outside the parameters of Scouting. Could or would
                  you forbid them to do that?

                  Present standards state emphatically that every campout must have two
                  deep leadership with one of the two being 21 years or older.
                  However, patrols may have a hike or service project without that two
                  deep leadership. This is possible only with approval from the
                  Scoutmaster and when it does not interfere with troop activities.

                  As a Scoutmaster in the 90's (1989 - 1998), my leaders and I had a
                  separate campsite but close enough to take care of problems. In
                  fact, the leaders formed a patrol, the Chow Hounds, and we did
                  everything that a patrol should do, from menu to duty roster,
                  assisting each in putting up tents and shelters, even our own wood
                  lot. From the patrol name, one would guess that we ate well. One of
                  our goals was to demonstrate that it required no more time or effort
                  to eat well than not. Mystery meat or foil packs were not acceptable
                  in the leaders camp. One memorable meal was Frogmore Stew and
                  Cherries Jubilee (we did have to forgo the flaming brandy). I was
                  cook and served 8 leaders (Chow Hounds and guests) Fettichini
                  Alfredo, candied carrots, steamed broccoli, with garlic bread sticks
                  along with a Cherry-Pineapple Cobbler. I have a Dutch oven recipe
                  for Orange Glazed Breakfast Buns that will make you the hero of your
                  district (or even council) if anyone is interested. There were times
                  when there were leftovers, but always a line of boys (we called them
                  "camp dogs") insured that we did not have to waste food.

                  After my first long-term camp another standard was established. I
                  learned that some Scouts took more snacks than clothing summer camp,
                  resulting in boys not being hungry for meals in the dinning hall
                  because they had just eaten half-dozen candy bars and one or two soft
                  drinks and then bouncing off the walls until the wee hours. That plus
                  black animals with a white strip resulted to a "no personal snacks"
                  policy. If it was not on the patrol menu, it would not be in the
                  campsite. Scouts could eat leftovers from a previous meal, but could
                  not break into the stores for the next meal. Anything purchased at
                  the Trading Post at summer camp had to be eaten before Taps. The
                  rule included the leaders patrol. After a year or so, it became the
                  norm and little had to be said.

                  I digress. Back to the original question, if the Scouts learn that
                  they are not trusted, then why should they participate?

                  Don Wilson

                  -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
                • Charles Seltenright
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                    Your missing the point of patrol camping and the
                    reasons behind it if you make too much of it.It
                    doesent require 2 deep if a group of kids go camping
                    as long as the Scoutmaster approves it.The idea is
                    they can prove themselves if you can trust them.You
                    wouldnt send a bunch of trouble makers out camping on
                    there own as a SM would you??If a patrol has proven
                    themselves to be capable there is nothing wrong with
                    it.Why make it more complicated than it really is??I
                    have allowed it many times and never was disappointed
                    by the results.It really comes down to the SM's
                    judgement if its allowed and whether they can do it
                    under the scouting framework.Do you trust those that
                    want to go camping??Are they capable of handling it
                    and responsible enough??Those are the only questions
                    you need to ask yourself and your scouts.
                    Charles Seltenright
                    Crew 308 Advisor
                    Troop 337 ASM

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                  • Alpvalsys@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                      In a message dated 1/18/2008 5:51:13 PM EST, Trish wrote:

                      there should be two-deep leadership on hand. This is for everyone's safety
                      and protection >

                      Back when I was a Scout, shortly after the disappearance of the dinosaurs, we
                      didn't camp overnight as a patrol, but we did go afield for a day with no
                      adults. Used all kinds of woods tools, without and axe yard, to cut down (green)
                      trees. Ahhh! The days before personal injury lawyers. ;-)

                      Ralph V. Balfoort, UC
                      I used to be a beaver (NE III-135)
                      In the Beaver Patrol as a Scout
                      And still Ktemaque (Beaver) Chapter,
                      Kittan Lodge #364, OA

                    • NeilLup@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                        In a message dated 1/18/08 11:59:14 PM, deutche01@... writes:

                        > Sorry, but you missed the entire point of Patrol
                        > camping. The idea is for them to get AWAY from all the
                        > adults and do their own thing. Let 'em go, they can
                        > handle it!
                        > Yours in Scouting and Service,
                        > Doc Marshall

                        Sadly, in today's Scouting, the question is not whether kids can handle
                        it. (They can.)

                        The problem is that if, God forbid, something should happen, the legal
                        position of the boys, the unit's adults and the BSA could be exceedingly
                        difficult. What has changed since the earlier days of Scouting is societal
                        expectations, standard of care and supervision expected by parents, etc. plus the
                        exceedingly high level of financial burden caused by settlements, judgements,
                        etc.

                        Having said that, patrol activities are permitted by the guide to safe
                        scouting. What is never permitted is to have an activity with one and only one
                        adult.

                        Best wishes,

                        Neil Lupton

                      • Michael Homrighaus
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                          If only it were simply up to the leaders and the boys. Back in the dark
                          ages, this was an acceptable practice; not today. The leader campsite
                          nearby works, but under no circumstances can we permit a patrol of
                          Scouts to camp without 2-deep leadership. It has nothing to do with
                          trusting the Scouts; it is solely about liability of the leadership.
                          With a many nut cases as there are out there, and as many bad things as
                          can happen, there is no choice. Independent patrol camping died with
                          the dinosaurs. Sorry.

                          Mike Homrighaus
                          AA, Venturing Crew 88
                          Cortland, NY
                          Baden-Powell Council
                        • Kevin Pate
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                            > ... there is no choice. Independent patrol camping
                            > died with the dinosaurs. Sorry.

                            As to the above, I'll agree to disagree, pet Dino,
                            wave to Fred and Wilma, and amble on along the trail
                            8^)

                            Kevin in Norman, America

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • Don Wilson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                              Now I am not from Missouri, but this time you gotta show me. Where
                              in available literature have you found anything that indicated that a
                              patrol may camp without two deep ADULT leadership? A day hike or
                              special service project - yes -- but that is the extent of the
                              activities that a patrol may practice without required adult
                              leadership. Please, tell me I am wrong.

                              Don Wilson

                              -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
                            • Jamie Niss Dunn
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                                Two-Deep Leadership

                                Safe Scouting requires adequate adult leadership. For camps, trips, and outdoor activities, this means having at least two adult leaders, one of whom is at least 21 years old. It is unacceptable to have a camp, trip, or outdoor activity with only one adult present. If only one adult is able to attend, the trip must be cancelled. Ideally, at least three adults will accompany the troop on Scouting on trips. ***(Note that for properly trained Boy Scout patrols, it is acceptable to have outdoor patrol activities with no adults present. Such activities do require Scoutmaster approval.)***

                                http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=promoi&c=http://www.scouting.org/healthandsafety/index.html

                                Emphasis added.

                                Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                Cub Scout Training Coordinator

                              • Jamie Niss Dunn
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                                  "Patrol activities—A Boy Scout patrol or Varsity Scout squad may hike or camp with other patrols or squads in the unit or, with the permission of their Scoutmaster and parents or guardians, may hike or camp on their own."
                                  http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-954/index.html

                                  Jamie Niss Dunn

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                                    On Jan 19, 2008 1:06 AM, Don Wilson <don-wilson@...> wrote:

                                    > I guess I could say "Way back when....". There was a time when
                                    > patrols were able to have a "patrol camp" without two deep
                                    > leadership. We spend years training Scouts, a patrol of 15-16-year
                                    > old boys and rather than allow them to put that training to the test,
                                    > they must have two leaders to camp overnight? If you were in that
                                    > patrol, would you feel that the leaders trusted them? Our Scouts are
                                    > not feeble minded, if they want to get together and camp they will do
                                    > just that, but outside the parameters of Scouting. Could or would
                                    > you forbid them to do that?

                                    I would hope that older Scouts have the skills to take care of themselves
                                    and I could see where they could feel that the adults don't trust them. I
                                    would also hope that they would understand policies and rules.

                                    What do we teach new Scoutmasters about how patrol camping works? If the
                                    policy is that two deep leadership is required, that is what we should
                                    teach. If folks deviate from that, it shouldn't be based on what they are
                                    taught.

                                    Robert

                                  • Don Wilson
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                                      I am glad to be proven wrong -- even when the Scoutmaster Handbook
                                      states that "Every campout and short term camp must have a qualified
                                      adult leader, at least 21 years of age, in charge and at least one
                                      more responsible adult participating.....Scouts may not depart for a
                                      camping trip unless a two-adult minimum of leadership is assured."
                                      And further: "Two registered adult leaders or one registered adult
                                      leader and a parent or guardian of a participant, one of whom must be
                                      at least 21 years of age, are required on all trips and outings.
                                      .....This requirement also applies to the activities of provisional
                                      troops and of the Order of the Arrow."

                                      Thanks, Jamie.

                                      Don Wilson

                                      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...>
                                      Date sent: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:25:28 -0500
                                      Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Patrol Camping/Charles
                                      Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

                                      > "Patrol activities-A Boy Scout patrol or Varsity Scout squad may hike or camp with other patrols or squads in the unit or, with the permission of their Scoutmaster and parents or guardians, may hike or camp on their own."
                                      > http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-954/index.html
                                      >

                                      > Jamie Niss Dunn
                                      > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                      > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                      > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                      > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                    • doc marshall
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 19, 2008
                                        Thanks, Jamie.My guys will cntinue to do Patrol
                                        activities (including campouts) with my permission and
                                        without any adults present. As to the weirdos, I'd
                                        hate to tackle these guys if they got riled up. They
                                        are as well-trained in First Aid/CPR as I am, have
                                        some means of communication with the outside world,
                                        parents have signed waivers AND, they'd probably shoot
                                        me if I didn't let 'em go camping. Prepare for the
                                        worst (train the boys) then put some trust in them.
                                        They are, aftter all, young men.
                                        --- Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

                                        > "Patrol activities—A Boy Scout patrol or Varsity
                                        > Scout squad may hike or camp with other patrols or
                                        > squads in the unit or, with the permission of their
                                        > Scoutmaster and parents or guardians, may hike or
                                        > camp on their own."

                                        http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-954/index.html

                                        > Jamie Niss Dunn
                                        > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                        > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                        > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                        > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

                                        > removed]

                                      • Charles Seltenright
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                          Ditto thanks Jamie!!
                                          You will find you gain stronger leaders and a better
                                          troop if you do allow patrols to camp.As young scouts
                                          they elect by popularity as they gain age and
                                          experience they elect by leadership and
                                          experience.With patrol camping they learn this on
                                          there own and apply it in the troop without a single
                                          leader (adult)having anything to do with it.
                                          Trust is huge in patrol camping but if anyone has any
                                          doubts, whether leader or parent, it shouldnt be
                                          allowed.BP designed scouting to raise young boys into
                                          young men.It still works today as it did back then.

                                          Charles Seltenright
                                          Crew 308 Advisor
                                          Troop 337 ASM

                                          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                        • corinnajones@hotmail.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                            You might want to consider that the wilderness area of a council camp could
                                            be safer than a state park, considering that we pretty much know who enters
                                            a Boy Scout camp, but a public park is a different story. Also, at least in
                                            our council we don't need a tour permit for that, but I agree about getting
                                            a waiver signed by the parents showing that they're aware of what's being
                                            done and the potential risks - this is 2008 after all.
                                            Corinna
                                          • Robert Wilson
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                              I've the #33009B version of the Scoutmaster Handbook and it states at the
                                              bottom of page 22, "However, patrols may also set out on day hikes, service
                                              projects, and overnighters independent of the troop and free of adult
                                              leadership as long as they follow two rules:
                                              - The Scoutmaster approves the patrol activity.
                                              - The patrol activity does not interfere with any troop function"

                                              It goes on to explain about things being well planned and within their
                                              ability and stuff like that. The current handbook is version #33009C. I
                                              wonder if it has the same statements. I understand the value of giving folks
                                              the freedom to do things on their own, after all, we are moving them from
                                              dependence to independence. What I'm trying to get straight is what the BSA
                                              policy is now on the subject so that when I'm asked, I can tell them what
                                              the official policy is. It looks like the documentation contradicts itself.

                                              YIS,
                                              Robert

                                              On Jan 19, 2008 6:26 PM, Don Wilson <don-wilson@...> wrote:

                                              > I am glad to be proven wrong -- even when the Scoutmaster Handbook
                                              > states that "Every campout and short term camp must have a qualified
                                              > adult leader, at least 21 years of age, in charge and at least one
                                              > more responsible adult participating.....Scouts may not depart for a
                                              > camping trip unless a two-adult minimum of leadership is assured."
                                              > And further: "Two registered adult leaders or one registered adult
                                              > leader and a parent or guardian of a participant, one of whom must be
                                              > at least 21 years of age, are required on all trips and outings.
                                              > .....This requirement also applies to the activities of provisional
                                              > troops and of the Order of the Arrow."
                                              >
                                              > Thanks, Jamie.
                                              >
                                              > Don Wilson
                                              >
                                              > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                              > From: Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...>
                                              > Date sent: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:25:28 -0500
                                              > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Patrol Camping/Charles
                                              > Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                              >
                                              > > "Patrol activities-A Boy Scout patrol or Varsity Scout squad may hike or
                                              > camp with other patrols or squads in the unit or, with the permission of
                                              > their Scoutmaster and parents or guardians, may hike or camp on their own."
                                              > > http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-954/index.html
                                              > >

                                              > > Jamie Niss Dunn
                                              > > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                              > > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                              > > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                              > > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • Don Wilson
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                                The version I have is #33009A, where on page 3 states that: "These
                                                are the minimum requirements for becoming a Scoutmaster or assistant
                                                Scoutmaster: Be at least 21 years of age. I will replace my copy on
                                                Monday.

                                                Yes, I am finding more and more contradictions which might depend on
                                                which version one is reading. The largest problem is Guide to Safe
                                                Scouting. It certainly would be nice if the right hand knew what the
                                                left hand is doing.

                                                Don Wilson

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                                  And that, folks, is a classic introduction to BSA
                                                  National!