Re: [Scouter_T] BSA Copyright

  • eagle9252
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
      just a quote from our DE

      but if soi wonder would the rice f the shirts go up

      On 1/1/08, Sean Scott <sscott@...> wrote:

      > ClassB.com is a licensed BSA vendor according to BSA's licensing web
      > site, so actually they can.
      >
      > On Jan 1, 2008, at 1:36 PM, eagle9252 wrote:
      >
      > > classb can make the fleur-de-lis scout shirts but not with the eagle
      > > overlay

    • Stephen Gallagher
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
        You are correct wtih most of what you have written! the copy right laws are very stringent, however a gift and no profit are where you need to be corrected. there is nothing stopping the creation and gifting of an item that falls under the copyright laws. This is considered freedom of speech. however if you charge in any way for the item then they can take all you have.

        Stephen Gallagher
        Scoutmaster: T-164
        Portsmouth NH

        Owner: Lovewell Mountain Regalia
        www.lovewellmtn.com

        Not yet licensed but working on it!

        Don Wilson <don-wilson@...> wrote:
        Actually, it is worse than that. Now items that have any part of the
        BSA logo, words or word grouping protected by Copywrite, may be
        purchased only only from an authorized vendor, and most councils are
        establishing a policy that purchase of all items must go through the
        council office. Yep, that means patches, too.

        If you carry this far enough, one could not design a "T" shirt on
        their personal computer that includes any of the items protected by
        copywrite, and give the shirts away without incurring stiff
        penalties. Remember the trouble that crafters had when they used
        Mickey Mouse and Tweetie Bird on shirts?

        Don Wilson--
        "There are only four kinds of people in the world:
        Those who have been caregivers;
        Those who are currently caregivers;
        Those who will be caregivers; and
        Those who will need caregivers."
        Rosalynn Carter

      • Stephen Gallagher
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
          They can only reproduce with the eagle if that was in tehir marketing plan they forwarded with their licensing application. Licensure with BSA is not for everything you have to have a seperate plan for what you are going to embellish!

          The process sucks Trust me.

          Stephen Gallagher
          www.lovewellmtn.com