Re: [Scouter_T] BSA Copyright

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2007
      Brian:

      You wrote...

      > I have been told, and seem to remember seeing the official policy in
      > print regarding copying BSA copyrighted training materials. My
      > understanding is that the BSA grants us license to copy the materials
      > for training purposes.
      >
      > Is this the correct policy? If so, where can I find it in print? My
      > Wood Badge course director is looking for it. Thanks.

      Try searching the Scouts-L archives. I seem to remember this being
      discussed over there several years ago.

      Hope this helps...

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      District Committee Member at Large
      -- Stephen R. Covey
    • eagle9252
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2007
        yes you are correct but the funny thing is they are copy righting the
        flor-de-lee and the eagle together. i was told by our DE that places like
        classb t-shirts and others will have to start paying a fee just to use it.

        On 12/29/07, Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:

        > Brian:
        >
        > You wrote...
        >
        > > I have been told, and seem to remember seeing the official policy in
        > > print regarding copying BSA copyrighted training materials. My
        > > understanding is that the BSA grants us license to copy the materials
        > > for training purposes.
        > >
        > > Is this the correct policy? If so, where can I find it in print? My
        > > Wood Badge course director is looking for it. Thanks.
        >
        > Try searching the Scouts-L archives. I seem to remember this being
        > discussed over there several years ago.
        >
        > Hope this helps...
        >
        > YiS,
        >
        > Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. ----- mailto:antelope95@...<antelope95%40cox.net>
        > I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        > Thunderbird District -- Grand Canyon Council
        > District Committee Member at Large
      • Don Wilson
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
          Actually, it is worse than that. Now items that have any part of the
          BSA logo, words or word grouping protected by Copywrite, may be
          purchased only only from an authorized vendor, and most councils are
          establishing a policy that purchase of all items must go through the
          council office. Yep, that means patches, too.

          If you carry this far enough, one could not design a "T" shirt on
          their personal computer that includes any of the items protected by
          copywrite, and give the shirts away without incurring stiff
          penalties. Remember the trouble that crafters had when they used
          Mickey Mouse and Tweetie Bird on shirts?

          Don Wilson--
          "There are only four kinds of people in the world:
          Those who have been caregivers;
          Those who are currently caregivers;
          Those who will be caregivers; and
          Those who will need caregivers."
          Rosalynn Carter
        • Mark Landry
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
            I would like to wait until we hear from National about charges for use of
            the copyright. Normally, items that are sold by National Supply can not be
            duplicated, but must be bought. The reason appears obvious, but some think
            that anytime National wants to collect money, it is being greedy. However,
            the freight for the national office has to be paid, and much of that money
            goes into providing the program. (Can you imagine the cost if all of us did
            not volunteer?)

            However, in requiring that permission be obtained to use any copyrighted
            material, National is only doing what Congress requires to maintain a
            copyright. If a name or mark becomes so familiar and used by the public at
            will, it will fall into the public domain, and the copyright holder will
            lose his rights. That is why most manufacturers guard the use of any of
            their marks. It is not that Coke, for example, does not want its image
            plastered all over everything. If it could get more, for free, I can not
            see how it would object, UNLESS it ran the risk of losing its exclusive
            right to control, WHEN IT WISHED, the use of that mark.

            Simply because National has a policy of requiring permission for use of the
            marks, it does not follow automatically that a charge will be imposed. And
            I do not see national filing suit against a Cub Scout pack whose pack shirt
            has a BSA logo. And the fleur-de-lis is already in the public domain, so
            National can not regulate the use of that logo, unless used in conjunction
            with another registered mark. In New Orleans, the fleur-de-lis is the
            symbol of our city, and since Hurricane Katrina, local pride in our
            rebuilding effort has led to fleur-de-lis symbols on just about everything.
            (Let's not mention the Saints today, please. Last Sunday was hard enough to
            take).

            Yours in Scouting

            Mark C. Landry

            Council Training Chair

            Southeast Louisiana Council

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                From our Council news publication The RAVEN, Vol. 27, Issue 3, May
                2007:

                ".....Basically, this new enforcement of longstanding BSA guidelines
                is being implemented through a new product licensing program, where
                by manufacturing, distributors, and vendors must obtain a license
                from BSA before producing or selling items marked with BSA symbols,
                phrases, words, insignia, or any other trademarked or copyrighted
                marks.
                ".....Implementing these copyright/trademark guidelines will be
                cumbersome, and maybe even a little frustrating at
                first......Although the number of currently licensed vendors is
                limited, we have been pleased t0 discover that pricing is comparable
                to our previous sources, and that turnaround time from order to
                delivery is similarly or even quicker than before. In addition, we
                are assured that the quality of products will be as good as before,
                since all of these licensees have long-standing relationships with
                various Scout councils and other organizations.
                "Here are some questions that volunteers may have about the new
                licensing program:

                "Q. May a local unit use BSA marks on its own T-shirts, patches,
                etc? May a local unit use an online service such as cafepress.com to
                produce troop T-shirts?
                "A. Units may use the BSA marks on on T-shirts and patches
                providing they purchase these from an official licensee. Services
                such as cafepress.com are not official licensees of the BSA.

                "Q. Will units be able to use the BSA's marks on their websites?
                "A. Yes, Providing the units follow the guidelines for trademark
                use as posted on www.scouting.org/identity , as long as the websites
                are used for informational and educational purposes of the unit and
                BSA's program. The unit website must not sell merchandise or link to
                another website that sells merchandise, nor may the unit website
                engage in fund-raising or otherwise benefit commercially in any way
                from the use of BSA proprietary marks.

                "Q. Will units be able to use the BSA's marks on stationery, unit
                calendars, newsletters, etc?
                "A. Yes. The conditions for use are the same as those for website
                use (above). Additionally, the printed materials must be used for
                BSA program purposes only (in other words, not for fund-raising or
                any commercial purpose).

                "Q. How will a unit know if a vendor is licensed by the BSA?
                "A. The ..........council will post a list of licensed vendors on
                its website. Additionally, all licensed vendors will display an
                "Official Licensee" seal on websites and printed material, and
                licensed products will be marked with an "officially Licensed
                Product" seal.

                "Q. What is a "proprietary mark"?
                "A. Any word, phrase, insignia, emblem or other mark which is
                associated with the BSA. If a question arises about a particular
                mark, your local council can provide guidance regarding its use.

                "Q. Can a unit purchase trophies, plaques, etc. from local vendors
                for presentation at unit functions?
                "A. If the recognition items include any BSA proprietary marks, the
                vendor from which these items are purchased must be an official
                licensee of the BSA.

                "Q. How long will it take for local units to get licensed products
                (T-shirts, patches, etc.)?
                "A. Since licensed vendors may not be available locally for some
                products, units should plan well in advance for any purchasing needs.
                4-6 weeks minimum should be allowed to assume that items can be
                delivered in time for events, activities.

                "Q. How can a vendor (T-shirt company, embroidery company, etc.)
                apply for a license?
                "A. To request a licensing application and permission to use BSA
                mark, word, or phrases, vendors should send an e-mail to
                licensing@... ."

                Here is the important part from www.scouting.org/identity :

                "No council, unit, or third party may use BSA proprietary marks for
                any commercial purposes (e.g., manufacturing, creating, or selling
                items bearing BSA proprietary marks or manufacturing or otherwise
                creating items that could potentially be for resale), nor may any
                organization other than the BSA National Council authorize such
                rights, either actual or implied, to any third party."

                The Q & A above seems to answer the questions, BUT -- what about a
                notice of a car wash to raise money for an Eagle project? May any
                proprietary mark be used? I have a woodworking tools and a copier or
                laser printer, may I produce plaques for presentation at
                unit/district events?

                Will BSA come down hard on those that might not follow the
                directives? Likely not at first or until enough vendors are on line,
                but you can bet your bottom buck that your District Executive will be
                instructed to remind or make you aware of the policy and then the
                council may likely find a way to insure that the practice is brought
                to a halt.

                Don Wilson
                HRD-OHC 427

                -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
              • NeilLup@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                  In a message dated 1/1/08 11:39:56 AM, marklandry@... writes:

                  > However, in requiring that permission be obtained to use any copyrighted
                  > material, National is only doing what Congress requires to maintain a
                  > copyright. If a name or mark becomes so familiar and used by the public at
                  > will, it will fall into the public domain, and the copyright holder will
                  > lose his rights.

                  Hello Mark,

                  Happy New Year!

                  I apologize in this New Year for hairsplitting but if we are going to talk
                  with some precision about matters of intellectual property, it probably is
                  wise to do it properly and to use terms properly and accurately. (With
                  apologies to those who could care less.)

                  I am not an attorney but am a layman who does work with IP in some depth.
                  I know of at least 45types of intellectual property:

                  1) Patents
                  2) Trade Secrets
                  3) Tradenames
                  4) Trademarks
                  5) Copyrights

                  I don't believe that we are talking about the first three in discussions of
                  the BSA. However, we do deal with Trademarks and Copyrights and in what
                  you have written above, I fear you have confused the two.

                  A trademark is a unique, non-descriptive coined name, picture, drawing, etc.
                  given to some article of goods, unique service, etc. In the US, a
                  trademark can be "registered" with the US Patent and Trademark office and this
                  gives one certain rights and protection. A registered trademark is signified
                  by a circle with an "R" in it. Or there can be an unregistered trademark
                  with a TM designation. For a service mark, the designation is SM.

                  It is a trademark which can be "lost" if it becomes so commonly used to
                  describe an item or area of goods that it is deemed generic and no longer uniquely
                  associated with a company. "Formica" lost trademark protection in this way
                  and, I believe, aspirin did too. A trademark is an adjective and proper
                  use of the trademark requires that it be an adjective modifying the type of
                  goods. So if you listen carefully, you will hear Coca Cola BEVERAGE or
                  Apple COMPUTER or Big Mac SANDWICH.

                  You can find registered trademarks by going to the patent and trademark
                  office website www.uspto.gov and searching.

                  A trademark does not have any fixed expiration date. One can keep renewing
                  it indefinitely as long as it is in use.

                  Copyrights, on the other hand, protect creative works like books, music,
                  art, etc. Copyrighted material is designated by a circle with a "C". One
                  can register a copyright with the Patent and Trademark Office and one must do
                  so if one plans to sue for protection, but that is not necessary for
                  something to be copyrighted. Rather, whenever one puts pen to paper, something
                  copyrighted is created (even, for example, this post.) It is the area of
                  copyrights which have received so much attention in digital music and which
                  have recently had the extensions of term. There is a fixed term for
                  copyrights after which something becomes public domain but the rules are complicated
                  and too elaborate to list here. Suffice it to say that for anything "modern"
                  the period is many, many years.

                  I would also note that the copyright protects the embodiment of creative
                  work, but one cannot copyright ideas themselves. Ideas are in the public
                  domain (unless they can be patented.)

                  What you wrote is reasonably accurate for trademarks. It is not accurate
                  for copyrights. As I understand matters, one does not lose copyright
                  protection by failing to enforce and one can, after a period of time, start to
                  enforce providing that one does so uniformly and not discriminitatively.

                  The BSA has a lengthy write-up on its web site concerning its trademarks
                  which are many. They demand licensing, as is their right, and is proper to
                  protect their trademarks. If they fail to do so, they could lose the
                  tradematks. Things such as the BSA trefoil, and the terms "Eagle Scout", "Cub
                  Scout" and "Boy Scout" are trademarks.

                  I looked and did not find anything about BSA owned copyrights on the BSA web
                  site. Items like the content of the Boy Scout Handbook and the content of
                  training manuals are BSA owned copyrights. I have heard that it is permitted
                  to copy BSA materials for use in BSA training courses and operations. I
                  have not found that in writing. I have also heard that local councils can
                  give permission to copy BSA publications for BSA purposes. Again, I do not
                  have that in writing and cannot state with confidence that it is true.

                  Two other items:

                  1) Some of the content of the original 21st Wood Badge was the copyrighted
                  intellectual property of the Ken Blanchard organization. The BSA purchased
                  a paid license to use this material and under the terms of this license, the
                  BSA was allowed to make a certain number of copies and no more. This was
                  part of the reason for the very strict rules on copying of the early 21st
                  Century Wood Badge staff guides.

                  2) There is a provision created by law and judicial decisions called "fair
                  use" copying of copyright materials. This allows, under certain
                  circumstances, legal and licit copying of copyright materials on a limited basis with
                  no permission or royalty being required. This is not theft and is not a
                  violation of A Scout is Trustworthy. It is your right. However, exactly
                  what is fair use is complex and there is no bright shining line of demarcation.
                  It is not as simple as "if it is for a non-profit organization, it is
                  fair use." If one is planning on copying something under fair use, it is a
                  good idea to read up a little and make one's own decision.

                  I apologize to the listmembers for whom this is vastly too much information.
                  However, I become bothered when I read "That is copyright, you can't
                  copy it." It ain't necessarily so.

                  Best wishes and have a wonderful New year.

                  Neil Lupton

                • eagle9252
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                    bsa can never trademark the fleur-de-lis but with the over lay of the eagle
                    yes they can and are

                    classb can make the fleur-de-lis scout shirts but not with the eagle
                    overlay

> [...]

                  • Sean Scott
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                      ClassB.com is a licensed BSA vendor according to BSA's licensing web
                      site, so actually they can.

                      On Jan 1, 2008, at 1:36 PM, eagle9252 wrote:

                      > classb can make the fleur-de-lis scout shirts but not with the eagle
                      > overlay

                    • eagle9252
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                        just a quote from our DE

                        but if soi wonder would the rice f the shirts go up

                        On 1/1/08, Sean Scott <sscott@...> wrote:

                        > ClassB.com is a licensed BSA vendor according to BSA's licensing web
                        > site, so actually they can.
                        >
                        > On Jan 1, 2008, at 1:36 PM, eagle9252 wrote:
                        >
                        > > classb can make the fleur-de-lis scout shirts but not with the eagle
                        > > overlay

                      • Stephen Gallagher
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                          You are correct wtih most of what you have written! the copy right laws are very stringent, however a gift and no profit are where you need to be corrected. there is nothing stopping the creation and gifting of an item that falls under the copyright laws. This is considered freedom of speech. however if you charge in any way for the item then they can take all you have.

                          Stephen Gallagher
                          Scoutmaster: T-164
                          Portsmouth NH

                          Owner: Lovewell Mountain Regalia
                          www.lovewellmtn.com

                          Not yet licensed but working on it!

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                            They can only reproduce with the eagle if that was in tehir marketing plan they forwarded with their licensing application. Licensure with BSA is not for everything you have to have a seperate plan for what you are going to embellish!

                            The process sucks Trust me.

                            Stephen Gallagher
                            www.lovewellmtn.com