BSA Copyright

  • Brian Mott
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2007
      I have been told, and seem to remember seeing the official policy in
      print regarding copying BSA copyrighted training materials. My
      understanding is that the BSA grants us license to copy the materials
      for training purposes.

      Is this the correct policy? If so, where can I find it in print? My
      Wood Badge course director is looking for it. Thanks.

      Brian Mott
      Midland, MI
    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2007
        Brian:

        You wrote...

        > I have been told, and seem to remember seeing the official policy in
        > print regarding copying BSA copyrighted training materials. My
        > understanding is that the BSA grants us license to copy the materials
        > for training purposes.
        >
        > Is this the correct policy? If so, where can I find it in print? My
        > Wood Badge course director is looking for it. Thanks.

        Try searching the Scouts-L archives. I seem to remember this being
        discussed over there several years ago.

        Hope this helps...

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        District Committee Member at Large
        -- Stephen R. Covey
      • eagle9252
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2007
          yes you are correct but the funny thing is they are copy righting the
          flor-de-lee and the eagle together. i was told by our DE that places like
          classb t-shirts and others will have to start paying a fee just to use it.

          On 12/29/07, Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:

          > Brian:
          >
          > You wrote...
          >
          > > I have been told, and seem to remember seeing the official policy in
          > > print regarding copying BSA copyrighted training materials. My
          > > understanding is that the BSA grants us license to copy the materials
          > > for training purposes.
          > >
          > > Is this the correct policy? If so, where can I find it in print? My
          > > Wood Badge course director is looking for it. Thanks.
          >
          > Try searching the Scouts-L archives. I seem to remember this being
          > discussed over there several years ago.
          >
          > Hope this helps...
          >
          > YiS,
          >
          > Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. ----- mailto:antelope95@...<antelope95%40cox.net>
          > I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
          > Thunderbird District -- Grand Canyon Council
          > District Committee Member at Large
        • Don Wilson
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
            Actually, it is worse than that. Now items that have any part of the
            BSA logo, words or word grouping protected by Copywrite, may be
            purchased only only from an authorized vendor, and most councils are
            establishing a policy that purchase of all items must go through the
            council office. Yep, that means patches, too.

            If you carry this far enough, one could not design a "T" shirt on
            their personal computer that includes any of the items protected by
            copywrite, and give the shirts away without incurring stiff
            penalties. Remember the trouble that crafters had when they used
            Mickey Mouse and Tweetie Bird on shirts?

            Don Wilson--
            "There are only four kinds of people in the world:
            Those who have been caregivers;
            Those who are currently caregivers;
            Those who will be caregivers; and
            Those who will need caregivers."
            Rosalynn Carter
          • Mark Landry
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
              I would like to wait until we hear from National about charges for use of
              the copyright. Normally, items that are sold by National Supply can not be
              duplicated, but must be bought. The reason appears obvious, but some think
              that anytime National wants to collect money, it is being greedy. However,
              the freight for the national office has to be paid, and much of that money
              goes into providing the program. (Can you imagine the cost if all of us did
              not volunteer?)

              However, in requiring that permission be obtained to use any copyrighted
              material, National is only doing what Congress requires to maintain a
              copyright. If a name or mark becomes so familiar and used by the public at
              will, it will fall into the public domain, and the copyright holder will
              lose his rights. That is why most manufacturers guard the use of any of
              their marks. It is not that Coke, for example, does not want its image
              plastered all over everything. If it could get more, for free, I can not
              see how it would object, UNLESS it ran the risk of losing its exclusive
              right to control, WHEN IT WISHED, the use of that mark.

              Simply because National has a policy of requiring permission for use of the
              marks, it does not follow automatically that a charge will be imposed. And
              I do not see national filing suit against a Cub Scout pack whose pack shirt
              has a BSA logo. And the fleur-de-lis is already in the public domain, so
              National can not regulate the use of that logo, unless used in conjunction
              with another registered mark. In New Orleans, the fleur-de-lis is the
              symbol of our city, and since Hurricane Katrina, local pride in our
              rebuilding effort has led to fleur-de-lis symbols on just about everything.
              (Let's not mention the Saints today, please. Last Sunday was hard enough to
              take).

              Yours in Scouting

              Mark C. Landry

              Council Training Chair

              Southeast Louisiana Council

              _____

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                  From our Council news publication The RAVEN, Vol. 27, Issue 3, May
                  2007:

                  ".....Basically, this new enforcement of longstanding BSA guidelines
                  is being implemented through a new product licensing program, where
                  by manufacturing, distributors, and vendors must obtain a license
                  from BSA before producing or selling items marked with BSA symbols,
                  phrases, words, insignia, or any other trademarked or copyrighted
                  marks.
                  ".....Implementing these copyright/trademark guidelines will be
                  cumbersome, and maybe even a little frustrating at
                  first......Although the number of currently licensed vendors is
                  limited, we have been pleased t0 discover that pricing is comparable
                  to our previous sources, and that turnaround time from order to
                  delivery is similarly or even quicker than before. In addition, we
                  are assured that the quality of products will be as good as before,
                  since all of these licensees have long-standing relationships with
                  various Scout councils and other organizations.
                  "Here are some questions that volunteers may have about the new
                  licensing program:

                  "Q. May a local unit use BSA marks on its own T-shirts, patches,
                  etc? May a local unit use an online service such as cafepress.com to
                  produce troop T-shirts?
                  "A. Units may use the BSA marks on on T-shirts and patches
                  providing they purchase these from an official licensee. Services
                  such as cafepress.com are not official licensees of the BSA.

                  "Q. Will units be able to use the BSA's marks on their websites?
                  "A. Yes, Providing the units follow the guidelines for trademark
                  use as posted on www.scouting.org/identity , as long as the websites
                  are used for informational and educational purposes of the unit and
                  BSA's program. The unit website must not sell merchandise or link to
                  another website that sells merchandise, nor may the unit website
                  engage in fund-raising or otherwise benefit commercially in any way
                  from the use of BSA proprietary marks.

                  "Q. Will units be able to use the BSA's marks on stationery, unit
                  calendars, newsletters, etc?
                  "A. Yes. The conditions for use are the same as those for website
                  use (above). Additionally, the printed materials must be used for
                  BSA program purposes only (in other words, not for fund-raising or
                  any commercial purpose).

                  "Q. How will a unit know if a vendor is licensed by the BSA?
                  "A. The ..........council will post a list of licensed vendors on
                  its website. Additionally, all licensed vendors will display an
                  "Official Licensee" seal on websites and printed material, and
                  licensed products will be marked with an "officially Licensed
                  Product" seal.

                  "Q. What is a "proprietary mark"?
                  "A. Any word, phrase, insignia, emblem or other mark which is
                  associated with the BSA. If a question arises about a particular
                  mark, your local council can provide guidance regarding its use.

                  "Q. Can a unit purchase trophies, plaques, etc. from local vendors
                  for presentation at unit functions?
                  "A. If the recognition items include any BSA proprietary marks, the
                  vendor from which these items are purchased must be an official
                  licensee of the BSA.

                  "Q. How long will it take for local units to get licensed products
                  (T-shirts, patches, etc.)?
                  "A. Since licensed vendors may not be available locally for some
                  products, units should plan well in advance for any purchasing needs.
                  4-6 weeks minimum should be allowed to assume that items can be
                  delivered in time for events, activities.

                  "Q. How can a vendor (T-shirt company, embroidery company, etc.)
                  apply for a license?
                  "A. To request a licensing application and permission to use BSA
                  mark, word, or phrases, vendors should send an e-mail to
                  licensing@... ."

                  Here is the important part from www.scouting.org/identity :

                  "No council, unit, or third party may use BSA proprietary marks for
                  any commercial purposes (e.g., manufacturing, creating, or selling
                  items bearing BSA proprietary marks or manufacturing or otherwise
                  creating items that could potentially be for resale), nor may any
                  organization other than the BSA National Council authorize such
                  rights, either actual or implied, to any third party."

                  The Q & A above seems to answer the questions, BUT -- what about a
                  notice of a car wash to raise money for an Eagle project? May any
                  proprietary mark be used? I have a woodworking tools and a copier or
                  laser printer, may I produce plaques for presentation at
                  unit/district events?

                  Will BSA come down hard on those that might not follow the
                  directives? Likely not at first or until enough vendors are on line,
                  but you can bet your bottom buck that your District Executive will be
                  instructed to remind or make you aware of the policy and then the
                  council may likely find a way to insure that the practice is brought
                  to a halt.

                  Don Wilson
                  HRD-OHC 427

                  -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
                • NeilLup@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                    In a message dated 1/1/08 11:39:56 AM, marklandry@... writes:

                    > However, in requiring that permission be obtained to use any copyrighted
                    > material, National is only doing what Congress requires to maintain a
                    > copyright. If a name or mark becomes so familiar and used by the public at
                    > will, it will fall into the public domain, and the copyright holder will
                    > lose his rights.

                    Hello Mark,

                    Happy New Year!

                    I apologize in this New Year for hairsplitting but if we are going to talk
                    with some precision about matters of intellectual property, it probably is
                    wise to do it properly and to use terms properly and accurately. (With
                    apologies to those who could care less.)

                    I am not an attorney but am a layman who does work with IP in some depth.
                    I know of at least 45types of intellectual property:

                    1) Patents
                    2) Trade Secrets
                    3) Tradenames
                    4) Trademarks
                    5) Copyrights

                    I don't believe that we are talking about the first three in discussions of
                    the BSA. However, we do deal with Trademarks and Copyrights and in what
                    you have written above, I fear you have confused the two.

                    A trademark is a unique, non-descriptive coined name, picture, drawing, etc.
                    given to some article of goods, unique service, etc. In the US, a
                    trademark can be "registered" with the US Patent and Trademark office and this
                    gives one certain rights and protection. A registered trademark is signified
                    by a circle with an "R" in it. Or there can be an unregistered trademark
                    with a TM designation. For a service mark, the designation is SM.

                    It is a trademark which can be "lost" if it becomes so commonly used to
                    describe an item or area of goods that it is deemed generic and no longer uniquely
                    associated with a company. "Formica" lost trademark protection in this way
                    and, I believe, aspirin did too. A trademark is an adjective and proper
                    use of the trademark requires that it be an adjective modifying the type of
                    goods. So if you listen carefully, you will hear Coca Cola BEVERAGE or
                    Apple COMPUTER or Big Mac SANDWICH.

                    You can find registered trademarks by going to the patent and trademark
                    office website www.uspto.gov and searching.

                    A trademark does not have any fixed expiration date. One can keep renewing
                    it indefinitely as long as it is in use.

                    Copyrights, on the other hand, protect creative works like books, music,
                    art, etc. Copyrighted material is designated by a circle with a "C". One
                    can register a copyright with the Patent and Trademark Office and one must do
                    so if one plans to sue for protection, but that is not necessary for
                    something to be copyrighted. Rather, whenever one puts pen to paper, something
                    copyrighted is created (even, for example, this post.) It is the area of
                    copyrights which have received so much attention in digital music and which
                    have recently had the extensions of term. There is a fixed term for
                    copyrights after which something becomes public domain but the rules are complicated
                    and too elaborate to list here. Suffice it to say that for anything "modern"
                    the period is many, many years.

                    I would also note that the copyright protects the embodiment of creative
                    work, but one cannot copyright ideas themselves. Ideas are in the public
                    domain (unless they can be patented.)

                    What you wrote is reasonably accurate for trademarks. It is not accurate
                    for copyrights. As I understand matters, one does not lose copyright
                    protection by failing to enforce and one can, after a period of time, start to
                    enforce providing that one does so uniformly and not discriminitatively.

                    The BSA has a lengthy write-up on its web site concerning its trademarks
                    which are many. They demand licensing, as is their right, and is proper to
                    protect their trademarks. If they fail to do so, they could lose the
                    tradematks. Things such as the BSA trefoil, and the terms "Eagle Scout", "Cub
                    Scout" and "Boy Scout" are trademarks.

                    I looked and did not find anything about BSA owned copyrights on the BSA web
                    site. Items like the content of the Boy Scout Handbook and the content of
                    training manuals are BSA owned copyrights. I have heard that it is permitted
                    to copy BSA materials for use in BSA training courses and operations. I
                    have not found that in writing. I have also heard that local councils can
                    give permission to copy BSA publications for BSA purposes. Again, I do not
                    have that in writing and cannot state with confidence that it is true.

                    Two other items:

                    1) Some of the content of the original 21st Wood Badge was the copyrighted
                    intellectual property of the Ken Blanchard organization. The BSA purchased
                    a paid license to use this material and under the terms of this license, the
                    BSA was allowed to make a certain number of copies and no more. This was
                    part of the reason for the very strict rules on copying of the early 21st
                    Century Wood Badge staff guides.

                    2) There is a provision created by law and judicial decisions called "fair
                    use" copying of copyright materials. This allows, under certain
                    circumstances, legal and licit copying of copyright materials on a limited basis with
                    no permission or royalty being required. This is not theft and is not a
                    violation of A Scout is Trustworthy. It is your right. However, exactly
                    what is fair use is complex and there is no bright shining line of demarcation.
                    It is not as simple as "if it is for a non-profit organization, it is
                    fair use." If one is planning on copying something under fair use, it is a
                    good idea to read up a little and make one's own decision.

                    I apologize to the listmembers for whom this is vastly too much information.
                    However, I become bothered when I read "That is copyright, you can't
                    copy it." It ain't necessarily so.

                    Best wishes and have a wonderful New year.

                    Neil Lupton

                  • eagle9252
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                      bsa can never trademark the fleur-de-lis but with the over lay of the eagle
                      yes they can and are

                      classb can make the fleur-de-lis scout shirts but not with the eagle
                      overlay

> [...]

                    • Sean Scott
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                        ClassB.com is a licensed BSA vendor according to BSA's licensing web
                        site, so actually they can.

                        On Jan 1, 2008, at 1:36 PM, eagle9252 wrote:

                        > classb can make the fleur-de-lis scout shirts but not with the eagle
                        > overlay

                      • eagle9252
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                          just a quote from our DE

                          but if soi wonder would the rice f the shirts go up

                          On 1/1/08, Sean Scott <sscott@...> wrote:

                          > ClassB.com is a licensed BSA vendor according to BSA's licensing web
                          > site, so actually they can.
                          >
                          > On Jan 1, 2008, at 1:36 PM, eagle9252 wrote:
                          >
                          > > classb can make the fleur-de-lis scout shirts but not with the eagle
                          > > overlay

                        • Stephen Gallagher
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                            You are correct wtih most of what you have written! the copy right laws are very stringent, however a gift and no profit are where you need to be corrected. there is nothing stopping the creation and gifting of an item that falls under the copyright laws. This is considered freedom of speech. however if you charge in any way for the item then they can take all you have.

                            Stephen Gallagher
                            Scoutmaster: T-164
                            Portsmouth NH

                            Owner: Lovewell Mountain Regalia
                            www.lovewellmtn.com

                            Not yet licensed but working on it!

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                              They can only reproduce with the eagle if that was in tehir marketing plan they forwarded with their licensing application. Licensure with BSA is not for everything you have to have a seperate plan for what you are going to embellish!

                              The process sucks Trust me.

                              Stephen Gallagher
                              www.lovewellmtn.com