Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Woodbadge Refresher

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2001
      It certainly will be different for Cub Scouters who were used to a
      super-trainer type course.

      Dave

      Michael Brown wrote:

      > --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
      > > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the Istrouma
      > > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
      > >
      > > This is for those leaders (Cub Scout or Boy Scout) that have been
      > > through Woodbadge.
      > >
      > Interesting.
      >
      > I had asked our Wood Badge course director a couple of weekends ago if
      > such a course existed and when would we see it. He stated that such a
      > course did not exist because the new WB was different from the old WB
      > only in delivery method, not content. Guess he was incorrect.
      >
      > Michael Brown
      > Venturing Crew #1838
      > Southwest Florida Council

      To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
      the mailto: address below

      Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
      164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
      Greenland, NH 03840
      Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
      possit materiari?
    • Cpaitlres
      Message 2 of 16 , May 8, 2001
        Cub Scout woodbadge trainers will get the new course. The method in Cub
        Scout Trainer Woodbadge to create leadership was to use training to make
        trainers to take leadership roles. The new course is a leadership course.
        Leadership is the same if it is Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity or Venturing.
        The new course is great.

        Rick Kagawa

        Message 3 of 16 , May 9, 2001
          Acording to the folks in Dallas(Walnut Hill), ANY Scouting Leader may
          take the new Wood Badge course, once s/he has completed the training for
          her/his specific position.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 16 , May 9, 2001
            You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the new
            Woodbadge course.

            The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already received their
            beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are many people
            that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many people want
            to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the former
            course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know if
            reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the course. This
            refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited about
            the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

            Cpaitlres wrote:

            > Cub Scout woodbadge trainers will get the new course. The method in Cub
            > Scout Trainer Woodbadge to create leadership was to use training to make
            > trainers to take leadership roles. The new course is a leadership course.
            > Leadership is the same if it is Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity or
            Venturing.
            > The new course is great.
            >
            > Rick Kagawa

          • Jim Hawkins
            Message 5 of 16 , May 9, 2001
              I just finished an excellent Wood Badge course in the Middle
              Tennessee Council. It followed the old syllabus. However, as good as
              that course was, I find myself identifying with "Cpaitlres":

              "There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in
              course content. Many people want to see what the changes are all
              about." <snip

              It will be a long time before I could possibly take a Wood Badge
              refresher course. I still have my ticket to work. There is part of me
              that is glad I experienced the "old way". However, part of me knows
              that way is the past. I will never be asked to be on the staff for
              that type of Wood Badge simply because it no longer exists. I learned
              a lot of valuable information and had many wonderful experiences. But
              I am clueless about the new Wood Badge. So part of me wishes they had
              followed the new syllabus.

              Jim Hawkins
              Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
              CC Pack 18
              SA Troop 18
              Shawnee Trails Council, BSA

            • jmstall@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                Many thanks to Rick for pointing out a big driver for our refresher
                course - to introduce "old" Wood Badgers to the new course and reduce
                their resistance and fear of change so that they can help us all move
                forward. I believe that those who take the refresher will come away
                excited. That will help the Wood Badge tradition continue.

                We should all remember that Wood Badge was not always a leadership
                skills course and there have been other changes in the program more
                radical (IMHO) than the one we are currently facing. My father was a
                staffer when the 11 leaderhsip skills design was first introduced.
                He tells stories about folks' predictions of great harm to Scouting
                coupled with reluctance to accept the changes. That is very similar
                to what we see happening today. Scouting has survived and flourished
                for over 90 years in spite of changes and challenges. Wood Badge
                will also survive and will continue to help us better serve the youth
                in Scouting.

                Jim, you would be eligible to take the Istrouma Council refresher
                course. The notice on the Istrouma Council Web page reads in part as
                follows: "The Istrouma Area Council will host an update course on the
                new 21st Century Wood Badge this coming September for those who have
                already earned their beads or are now working on a ticket." The
                notice can be found at
                http://www.iac-bsa.org/woodbadge_refresher.htm

                I think that both the refresher and the course are going to be
                great. Much credit goes to the many dedicated Scouters who worked so
                hard to develop the new course. Thanks also to Steve Elwart and Mike
                Dunne for coming up with the refresher and making it happen.

                YiS,
                Jak Stallings
                Istrouma Area Council
                --- In scouter_t@y..., "Jim Hawkins" <brazil_nut54@y...> wrote:
                > I just finished an excellent Wood Badge course in the Middle
                > Tennessee Council. It followed the old syllabus. However, as good
                as
                > that course was, I find myself identifying with "Cpaitlres":
                >
                > "There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in
                > course content. Many people want to see what the changes are all
                > about." <snip
                >
                > It will be a long time before I could possibly take a Wood Badge
                > refresher course. I still have my ticket to work. There is part of
                me
                > that is glad I experienced the "old way". However, part of me knows
                > that way is the past. I will never be asked to be on the staff for
                > that type of Wood Badge simply because it no longer exists. I
                learned
                > a lot of valuable information and had many wonderful experiences.
                But
                > I am clueless about the new Wood Badge. So part of me wishes they
                had
                > followed the new syllabus.
                >
                > Jim Hawkins
                > Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                > CC Pack 18
                > SA Troop 18
                > Shawnee Trails Council, BSA
              • Michael Brown
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                  --- In scouter_t@y..., "Cpaitlres" <rkagawa@c...> wrote:
                  > You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the
                  new
                  > Woodbadge course.

                  Correct. The new WB course is open to Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
                  Scout, and Venturing leaders. As I think most are aware, the prior 3
                  versions of WB were aimed at Cub Scout Trainers, Boy Scout Leaders,
                  and Varsity Scout Leaders, respectively. They decided to merge these
                  into one WB, rather then create WB courses aimed at Cub Scouters &
                  Venturing leaders.

                  > The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already
                  received their
                  > beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are
                  many people
                  > that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many
                  people want
                  > to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the
                  former
                  > course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know
                  if
                  > reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the
                  course. This
                  > refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited
                  about
                  > the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                  Actually, as I understand it, those who have taken the prior WB
                  courses are NOT allowed to retake the new WB course. So for them,
                  this refresher course is the ONLY way to get the added information
                  available in the new course.

                  Michael Brown
                  Venturing Crew #1838
                  SWFL Council
                  BSLWB SE-478-29
                • Sean Scott
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                    FYI, got my copies of the new training syllabi (all of them!) earlier this
                    week and spent the last couple of nights sifting through the box and reading
                    through them.

                    My thoughts so far: Very cool!

                    Much more professionally put together and complete than the old Cub leader
                    training handbook. The new syllabus looks like it will be easier to
                    implement over two evenings as well, with a more natural break. I'm looking
                    forward to putting one of these into action!

                    My only comment is that it seems less receptive to including a theme than
                    the old version. We did a little more than just throw in some theme related
                    skits and run-ons through the day. Our opening and some of the sessions were
                    delivered with the theme in mind. (This year it's "Cub Scout Magic") The new
                    training has a more prescribed opening, and at least on a first read,
                    doesn't appear as flexible. Any thoughts?
                    --
                    Sean Scott
                    Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

                    WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                  • Jim Hawkins
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                      It's not the program that will not let me take the refresher course
                      right now. It's my wife :-))

                      Thanks for the information.

                      YIS

                      Jim Hawkins
                      Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                      CC Pack 18
                      SA Troop 18
                      Shawnee Trails Council, BSA

                      --- In scouter_t@y..., jmstall@y... wrote:
                      .
                      .
                      .

                      > Jim, you would be eligible to take the Istrouma Council refresher
                      > course. The notice on the Istrouma Council Web page reads in part
                      as
                      > follows: "The Istrouma Area Council will host an update course on
                      the
                      > new 21st Century Wood Badge this coming September for those who
                      have
                      > already earned their beads or are now working on a ticket." The
                      > notice can be found at
                      > http://www.iac-bsa.org/woodbadge_refresher.htm
                    • Rick Rambo
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                        The word we have gotten from our council TC is that previously WB'ers will
                        be allowed to attend the new course - but only if there are not 'new' people
                        who are kept waiting.

                        **********
                        America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
                        **********
                        Rick Rambo
                        e-mail: rickram.geo@...

                        FAX: (561) 673-0437
                        http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
                        http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
                        AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

                        > You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the
                        new
                        > Woodbadge course.

                        Correct. The new WB course is open to Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
                        Scout, and Venturing leaders. As I think most are aware, the prior 3
                        versions of WB were aimed at Cub Scout Trainers, Boy Scout Leaders,
                        and Varsity Scout Leaders, respectively. They decided to merge these
                        into one WB, rather then create WB courses aimed at Cub Scouters &
                        Venturing leaders.

                        > The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already
                        received their
                        > beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are
                        many people
                        > that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many
                        people want
                        > to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the
                        former
                        > course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know
                        if
                        > reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the
                        course. This
                        > refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited
                        about
                        > the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                        Actually, as I understand it, those who have taken the prior WB
                        courses are NOT allowed to retake the new WB course. So for them,
                        this refresher course is the ONLY way to get the added information
                        available in the new course.

                        Michael Brown
                        Venturing Crew #1838
                        SWFL Council
                        BSLWB SE-478-29

                      • Chris Summers
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 11, 2001
                          >There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in course
                          content. Many people want to see what the changes are all about.<

                          This is not the first time I've heard this. When I did my BS WB course which
                          was a 3 weekend course several old timers told me that it just wasn't the
                          same as a week long WB. Well, I went on to do CS WB and it was a week long
                          course and it was a little different but I can't say it was better or more
                          meaningful.

                          And I've heard recently at some District and Council level meetings that
                          "It's just not the same" and heard it referred to as a "kindler gentler
                          Wood Badge".

                          I like to think that Wood Badge is what you make it not the other way
                          around. It's your ticket, not someone elses.

                          YOF
                          Chris in Houston

                        • Maddalena, Frank
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 11, 2001
                            Trust me Jim we have all been there with our respective spouses!!

                            Y.I.S.
                            Frank Maddalena

                          • doublelope@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2001
                              --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
                              > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the
                              Istrouma
                              > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
                              >
                              > My understanding is that it has been approved by National.
                              However,
                              > it will not be an ongoing course since Councils will only need to
                              > hold it a few times.

                              Randy: When we unveiled the new training last week, the new Wood
                              Badge course came up. Someone asked if there was going to be an
                              update course done. He's an old Wood Badger who went through the
                              course way back when, before the one we just discontinued existed. I
                              mentioned that I had seen something in this group, and that I would
                              see what I could find out. Anyway, how would we get our hands on
                              this refresher course. We'd like to offer it here.
                              Thanks for your help.

                              Linda Goff
                              Great Smoky Mountain Council Cub Training Chair
                              I use to be an Antelope (SE-CS-15 & SE-497)