RE: [Scouter_T] re: cub scout training

  • Margo Mead
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
      Seems kind of silly that they devoted so much time to it in the September
      Podcast, acting like it was out and already being used, and it really
      wasn't? I'm excited about it, I just wish they wouldn't have teased us like
      that!

      Margo

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 8, 2007
          Faun wrote in part:
          <snip>"We have recommended for quite a few years now that leaders take their
          cub specific training before New Leader Essentials. Too many leaders
          were leaving the Essentials classes (after arranging for babysitters,
          taking time from work, etc) confused and ill-equipped for their dens.
          While Essentials has some good "stuff" that covers the entire
          scouting program, all that knowledge is overwhelming to the new to
          Scouting leader who just wants to plan the next meeting!"

          Faun
          Long Island, NY

          If new leaders actually take fast start training on the national e-learning site before they come for classroom training, they will receive a very good overview of how to run a meeting. Unlike old versions of Fast Start, the one that BSA has out there now is actually useful.

          Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
          Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
          Kaw District Training Chairman, NRA Life Member
          CM P3001, SM T366
          |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
          I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
          And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06)

          Cheerful Service; because it's the right thing to do

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Fred Goodwin, CMA
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 8, 2007
            > Posted by: "Faun Witz Guarino '71" fguarino@...
            > Date: Wed Nov 7, 2007 3:47 pm ((PST))
            >
            > We have recommended for quite a few years now that leaders take
            > their cub specific training before New Leader Essentials. Too many
            > leaders were leaving the Essentials classes (after arranging for
            > babysitters, taking time from work, etc) confused and ill-equipped
            > for their dens.

            I've heard this complaint re: NLE many times. I think its a matter of
            managing expectations. As a NLE instructor, I make it a point to tell
            my new trainees that the purpose of NLE is to give an overview of the
            entire program, and how the various pieces fit together.

            I remind them that the purpose of NLE is *not* to teach them how to run
            a den meeting, pack meeting, or committee meeting. They should've
            learned that by watching the Fast Start Videos (or doing Fast Start
            online).

            Then the clincher: I ask them how many have actually done the Fast
            Start training for their position, and invariably, few, if any, hands
            go up. I lay that squarely on the shoulders of the pack leadership.
            My Council does not make Fast Start a pre-requisite for
            position-specific training, and even if we did, I doubt that would
            change anything.

            As others have suggested, maybe we should start our position-specific
            training by showing the Fast Start video relevant for each position --
            that's a good idea, and one I'll try the next time I'm called upon to
            lead a position-specifc session.

            Now that National has allegedly approved reversing the sequence of NLE
            and position-specific, I wonder how many leaders will skip NLE thinking
            they've heard everything they need to do their job?

            Fred Goodwin
            NLE instructor and former district training chair
          • Jim Thompson
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 8, 2007
              For what it's worth, here's what the October "Scouting" magazine says
              on p. 29:
              "(The Cub Scout Division now recommends that New Leader Essentials
              take place after Leader Specific Training.)"
              That's it. No "official" announcement, just a parenthetical aside
              more or less buried in a story about training.
              Jim Thompson
              Albuquerque, NM

              We have recommended for quite a few years now that leaders take their
              cub specific training before New Leader Essentials. Too many leaders
              were leaving the Essentials classes (after arranging for babysitters,
              taking time from work, etc) confused and ill-equipped for their dens.
              While Essentials has some good "stuff" that covers the entire
              scouting program, all that knowledge is overwhelming to the new to
              Scouting leader who just wants to plan the next meeting!

              Faun

              Long Island, NY

            • Sandra Martens

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 8, 2007
                  A couple problems here:
                  I totally agree with Dan H that the current Fast Start for
                  den leaders is much superior to anything we have had in
                  the past, but it still doesn't do a good enough job to be a
                  stand alone preparation for a new leader to lead den meetings.

                  Many den leaders first learn of Fast Start when they attend
                  NLE or CLS. Too late! We are not that efficient at
                  communicating and I can't imagine that we ever will be,
                  even considering the high pay rates for our volunteers.

                  Last June I talked to a Director of Field Services who
                  related his observations of a focus group consisting of
                  first year den leaders. The consensus of the group was
                  that even CLS didn't prepare them sufficiently. It was only
                  after they attended Pow Wow that they finally began
                  to understand their jobs. I have great hopes for the
                  new training whenever it shows up.

                  Leading a den is one of the toughest jobs in all of Scouting.
                  We should never underestimate how much preparation,
                  support and help that this job needs to succeed.

                  bill smith
                  tampa fl

                  Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:

                  > I've heard this complaint re: NLE many times. I think its a matter of
                  > managing expectations. As a NLE instructor, I make it a point to tell
                  > my new trainees that the purpose of NLE is to give an overview of the
                  > entire program, and how the various pieces fit together.
                  >
                  > ,_._,___

                • Sandra Martens
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 8, 2007
                    here here! i agree.

                    i just finished completing a resource cd for a pow wow/rendezvous on Saturday. As i finished sections I emailed them to the respective instructors to check over. One of them, CS ceremonies, emailed back and said thanks for adding all the ceremonies and stuff. he forgot how hard it is to be new and how new leaders are looking for anything there is out there to help them. maybe more of us old scouters need to remember that.(sorry about the bad capitalization- my key keeps getting stuck and i'm too lazy to back track and fix it)

                    Sandy OWL

                    Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:

                    > I've heard this complaint re: NLE many times. I think its a matter of
                    > managing expectations. As a NLE instructor, I make it a point to tell
                    > my new trainees that the purpose of NLE is to give an overview of the
                    > entire program, and how the various pieces fit together.
                    >
                    > ,_._,___

                  • Marian McQuaid
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 9, 2007
                      Hey Sandy,
                      How much will it cost to get a copy of your CD? Where do I send a check?

                      Marian
                      Boston Minuteman Council

                      Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:

                      > I've heard this complaint re: NLE many times. I think its a matter of
                      > managing expectations. As a NLE instructor, I make it a point to tell
                      > my new trainees that the purpose of NLE is to give an overview of the
                      > entire program, and how the various pieces fit together.
                      >
                      > ,_._,___

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Richard Damon
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 9, 2007
                        Sandy,

                        I am working on a similar project for next weekend and would LOVE to get
                        some of your ideas. Any way you could email some of this to me (or links of
                        the stuff is online). I have a big mail box so don't worry about that.

                        Richard Damon

                        Pack Trainer, Pack 306

                        Scout Master Troop 302

                        Arlington MA

                        District Training Chair, Sons of Liberty District, Boston Minuteman Council

                        I used to be a fox (NE-I-209) and a good old staffer too (NE-I-234,
                        NE-I-244)

                        | >>>-------------------> |

                        Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:

                        > I've heard this complaint re: NLE many times. I think its a matter of
                        > managing expectations. As a NLE instructor, I make it a point to tell
                        > my new trainees that the purpose of NLE is to give an overview of the
                        > entire program, and how the various pieces fit together.
                        >
                        > ,_._,___

                      • Sandra Martens
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2007
                          Richard. the cd is 230 MB, 107 folders, and 833 files. It would take forever to email to you. below are the sessions I cover. If there are specific ones, email me out of group and ask for them. I'll try to get them to you fast.
                          CUB SCOUT COURSES A Good Turn Daily Bear Den Planning Beyond the Badge Blue & Gold Banquet Cooking for Cubs NEW Crafts Creative Campfires Cub Camping Adventures Cub Ceremonies Cub Scout Control Derby Days Dog Days of Summer Duty to God NEW Flag Etiquette Games Galore Leatherwork Pack Finances NEW Pack Meeting in Action Pack Meeting Programs NEW Scout Safety Share the Cub Adventure Shenanigans Slides and Doodles Tiger Cub Trail Tying It All Up Walking Sticks WeBeLoS Dutch Oven Cooking NEW WeBeLoS - Community WeBeLoS - Mental Skills WeBeLoS - Outdoor WeBeLoS - Physical Skills WeBeLoS - Technology Webelos - The 18 Month Plan NEW Webelos Overnighter NEW Webelos to Scout Transition Wolf Den Planning Woodworking BOY SCOUT COURSES "To Help Other People at all Times"
                          Backpacking on a Budget Basic Knots NEW Beyond the Badge - Boy Scouts Boy Scout Ceremonies Camp - Wisconsin Dutch Oven Cooking NEW Duty to God NEW Flag Etiquette Geocaching High Adventure Overview NEW Lashings NEW Order of the Arrow Orienteering Patrol Method Project First Class NEW Scout Cooking Scout Safety Scoutmaster Conference / BOR Share the Boy Scout Adventure The Senior Patrol Leader Trail to Eagle Troop Calendar Planning Unscoutlike Behavior Winter Camping Wisconsin Waterways NEW

                          Sandy OWL

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2007
                            >It was only
                            >after they attended Pow Wow that they finally began
                            >to understand their jobs. I have great hopes for the
                            >new training whenever it shows up.

                            Could this be because all the useful stuff about games and songs and crafts that used to be in CS Leader Basic Training was pulled out, and made supplemental ;-0

                            Hopefully, some of that stuff has made its way back into the syllabus.

                            Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                            Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                            3 Rivers District

                          • bill smith
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2007
                              Jamie Niss Dunn wrote:

                              > Could this be because all the useful stuff about games and songs and
                              > crafts that used to be in CS Leader Basic Training was pulled out, and
                              > made supplemental ;-0

                              Probably true. Of course, a lot of that should be done also
                              at Roundtables but at the last half dozen RT I attended (in
                              different districts and councils) only one had songs and
                              none had games. Maybe Pow Wows and UofS are the
                              last vestiges of good CS programming.

                              > Hopefully, some of that stuff has made its way back into the syllabus.

                              I had the opportunity to meet and talk a bit with Ted Rohling
                              who is writing the new manual. He seems to have excellent
                              credentials and he assured us that it will be more interactive
                              and program-oriented. However it may still be a two-hour
                              training session and that limits how much help a new den leader
                              can get.

                              bill smith
                              tampa

                            • Gerry Moon
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 9, 2007
                                Getting the work out about Fast Start is part of the Pack Trainer's
                                job. Problem that I see (and I'm a Pack Trainer) is that the role in
                                and of itself is not well understood - some folks I talk to think
                                that the Pack Trainer conducts all training of the leader in a unit
                                (obviously not the case). I'm also District Cub Training chair and I
                                would resist having everyone doing their own training at the unit
                                level. When I get leaders in for NLE & PST and we ask if they have
                                done Fast Start, some say yes, some say no, and others give that
                                deer-in-the-headlights look. Those are the ones that either have no
                                Pack Trainer in their units or if they do, they aren't handling
                                their roles well. Per the Pack Trainer knot requirements, we need to
                                have a plan to get Fast Start to every new leader within the first
                                couple days after they join. This is in conjunction with having 100%
                                trained (within the CM, CA, DL, WL, TL and CC roles).

                                We use an email registration system in our District and everyone
                                (mostly) pre-registers for training. When they mail use, we provide
                                a confirmation mail back to them, the content of which includes
                                stuff like when, where, what time, what to bring, who to call, how
                                to cancel, a map, advice of any fees, and most importantly, a noodge
                                to get Fast Start and YP done online before they show up. This helps
                                A LOT.

                                Oh - and to button onto the "new syllabus" discussion, we have
                                conducted a mock Pack Meeting at the end of our PST class for years.
                                Nothing we do gets more positive comments on the evals then the pack
                                Meeting. It is typically an opening, skits from each training den, a
                                song or audience participation, and advancement ceremony and a
                                Cubmaster minute - then we distribute the trained cards and send
                                them home - just like real Cub Scouts.

                                Gerry Moon
                                Orlando, FL

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, bill smith <wt492@...> wrote:

                                > A couple problems here:
                                > I totally agree with Dan H that the current Fast Start for
                                > den leaders is much superior to anything we have had in
                                > the past, but it still doesn't do a good enough job to be a
                                > stand alone preparation for a new leader to lead den meetings.
                                >
                                > Many den leaders first learn of Fast Start when they attend
                                > NLE or CLS. Too late! We are not that efficient at
                                > communicating and I can't imagine that we ever will be,
                                > even considering the high pay rates for our volunteers.
                                >
                                > Last June I talked to a Director of Field Services who
                                > related his observations of a focus group consisting of
                                > first year den leaders. The consensus of the group was
                                > that even CLS didn't prepare them sufficiently. It was only
                                > after they attended Pow Wow that they finally began
                                > to understand their jobs. I have great hopes for the
                                > new training whenever it shows up.
                                >
                                > Leading a den is one of the toughest jobs in all of Scouting.
                                > We should never underestimate how much preparation,
                                > support and help that this job needs to succeed.
                                >
                                > bill smith
                                > tampa fl
                                >
                                > Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:
                                > >

                                > > I've heard this complaint re: NLE many times. I think its a
                                matter of
                                > > managing expectations. As a NLE instructor, I make it a point to
                                tell
                                > > my new trainees that the purpose of NLE is to give an overview
                                of the
                                > > entire program, and how the various pieces fit together.
                                > >
                                > > ,_._,___

                              • Faun Guarino
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 9, 2007
                                  I don't think it's a matter of managing "expectations." When the new
                                  training was first introduced, our council trainers said "you must go to
                                  NLE, then position specific."

                                  Yes, NLE IS designed as an "overview" of the entire continuum of scouting.
                                  And for a person brand-new to the program, it's information-overload. And it
                                  frightens the heck out of a lot of new cub leaders.

                                  Frankly, my ultimate take-away at the first session our council gave was
                                  that the course was designed to convince Boy Scout leaders of the value of
                                  the Cub Scout program! (Something I never hesitate to point out to the
                                  red-epaulet brigade!)

                                  I miss the "old days" when the Commissioners were responsible for going in
                                  to units and showing the Fast Start tapes to leaders. I think it was a great
                                  way to introduce Commissioners to their new charges and a great way to get
                                  folks pre-trained.

                                  Faun

                                  Long Island, NY

                                • ed5870@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
                                    In a message dated 11/9/2007 2:01:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                    wt492@... writes:

                                    Of course, a lot of that should be done also
                                    at Roundtables but at the last half dozen RT I attended (in
                                    different districts and councils) only one had songs and
                                    none had games.

                                    We do both at our Roundtables. We ask for volunteers to do different facets
                                    at the next Roundtable

                                  • bill smith
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
                                      Great!
                                      Please let us know where and when are your RTs.
                                      If we happen to be in town, we would love to drop
                                      by and participate.

                                      bill
                                      who travels between oregon and florida

                                      ed5870@... wrote: [ RE: songs & games]

                                      > We do both at our Roundtables. We ask for volunteers to do different
                                      > facets
                                      > at the next Roundtable

                                    • Fred Goodwin, CMA
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
                                        > Posted by: "Faun Guarino" fguarino@...
                                        > Date: Fri Nov 9, 2007 8:36 pm ((PST))
                                        >
                                        > I don't think it's a matter of managing "expectations."

                                        With all due respect, I think that's *exactly* the problem.

                                        When people leave NLE saying they thought they would learn how to run a
                                        den meeting and were disappointed they didn't get that training, and
                                        when you and I both know that's not the purpose of NLE, then obviously
                                        there's a disconnect someplace.

                                        Those folks clearly have not done Fast Start, which as we both know,
                                        tells folks exactly how to run a den meeting. So why aren't they doing
                                        Fast Start before coming to NLE?

                                        New leaders don't know the training sequence, so I don't fault them; I
                                        blame the pack leadership for throwing them into a new job w/o proper
                                        preparation. But at least the pack got them to the training.

                                        > When the new training was first introduced, our council trainers
                                        > said "you must go to NLE, then position specific."

                                        It wasn't just your council trainers saying that -- that was exactly
                                        how the training sequence was designed by National (with Fast Start
                                        preceding both). Since hindsight is aways 20/20, we can quibble with
                                        the sequence, but you needn't blame your council trainers for following
                                        the national syllabus by requiring NLE first.

                                        > Yes, NLE IS designed as an "overview" of the entire continuum of
                                        > scouting. And for a person brand-new to the program, it's
                                        > information-overload. And it frightens the heck out of a lot of new
                                        > cub leaders.

                                        My experience has been just the opposite -- maybe its the way I present
                                        it. I try to keep it fun and engage the audience. The parts about
                                        paying for scouting and the paperwork & policy stuff can be pretty dry,
                                        but when you tie it back to child safety, that's usually enough to hold
                                        their attention.

                                        I've had many trainees thank me after a NLE session, but I've never had
                                        anyone say it was too much info. I'm not disputing your experience --
                                        I'm just saying it hasn't been my experience.

                                        > Frankly, my ultimate take-away at the first session our council gave
                                        > was that the course was designed to convince Boy Scout leaders of the
                                        > value of the Cub Scout program! (Something I never hesitate to point
                                        > out to the red-epaulet brigade!)

                                        Could be, but having taught the course for almost six years, I never
                                        got that impression. I think it shows new Cub leaders how Cubs fit
                                        into the overall progression; it shows Boy Scout leaders how Scouting
                                        builds on Cubbing, and finally how youth "graduate" to Venturing.

                                        > I miss the "old days" when the Commissioners were responsible for
                                        > going in to units and showing the Fast Start tapes to leaders. I
                                        > think it was a great way to introduce Commissioners to their new
                                        > charges and a great way to get folks pre-trained.

                                        Sounds like a great idea and something your UC would probably be happy
                                        to do if asked -- I know I would and I think I'll make that suggestion
                                        to my units.

                                        YiS,

                                        Fred Goodwin, UC
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 11, 2007
                                          We are in Dutchess county in NY about 90 Min north of NYC

                                        • Richard Damon

                                            Richard Damon <richard@... <mailto:richard%40damon-family.org>

                                            From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>