Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Woodbadge Refresher

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2001
      It certainly will be different for Cub Scouters who were used to a
      super-trainer type course.

      Dave

      Michael Brown wrote:

      > --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
      > > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the Istrouma
      > > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
      > >
      > > This is for those leaders (Cub Scout or Boy Scout) that have been
      > > through Woodbadge.
      > >
      > Interesting.
      >
      > I had asked our Wood Badge course director a couple of weekends ago if
      > such a course existed and when would we see it. He stated that such a
      > course did not exist because the new WB was different from the old WB
      > only in delivery method, not content. Guess he was incorrect.
      >
      > Michael Brown
      > Venturing Crew #1838
      > Southwest Florida Council

      To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
      the mailto: address below

      Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
      164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
      Greenland, NH 03840
      Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
      possit materiari?
    • Cpaitlres
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2001
        Randy,

        Orange County Council (California) is planning on running the same course in
        Southern California. I got your schedule from Steve Elwart and Mike Dunn. It
        was such a great idea I had to imitate it. Great going Mike and Steve!

        Rick Kagawa

        P.S. I did get approval from Western region and my Council.

        Message 3 of 16 , May 8, 2001
          Cub Scout woodbadge trainers will get the new course. The method in Cub
          Scout Trainer Woodbadge to create leadership was to use training to make
          trainers to take leadership roles. The new course is a leadership course.
          Leadership is the same if it is Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity or Venturing.
          The new course is great.

          Rick Kagawa

          Message 4 of 16 , May 9, 2001
            Acording to the folks in Dallas(Walnut Hill), ANY Scouting Leader may
            take the new Wood Badge course, once s/he has completed the training for
            her/his specific position.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 16 , May 9, 2001
              You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the new
              Woodbadge course.

              The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already received their
              beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are many people
              that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many people want
              to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the former
              course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know if
              reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the course. This
              refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited about
              the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

              Cpaitlres wrote:

              > Cub Scout woodbadge trainers will get the new course. The method in Cub
              > Scout Trainer Woodbadge to create leadership was to use training to make
              > trainers to take leadership roles. The new course is a leadership course.
              > Leadership is the same if it is Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity or
              Venturing.
              > The new course is great.
              >
              > Rick Kagawa

            • Jim Hawkins
              Message 6 of 16 , May 9, 2001
                I just finished an excellent Wood Badge course in the Middle
                Tennessee Council. It followed the old syllabus. However, as good as
                that course was, I find myself identifying with "Cpaitlres":

                "There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in
                course content. Many people want to see what the changes are all
                about." <snip

                It will be a long time before I could possibly take a Wood Badge
                refresher course. I still have my ticket to work. There is part of me
                that is glad I experienced the "old way". However, part of me knows
                that way is the past. I will never be asked to be on the staff for
                that type of Wood Badge simply because it no longer exists. I learned
                a lot of valuable information and had many wonderful experiences. But
                I am clueless about the new Wood Badge. So part of me wishes they had
                followed the new syllabus.

                Jim Hawkins
                Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                CC Pack 18
                SA Troop 18
                Shawnee Trails Council, BSA

              • jmstall@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                  Many thanks to Rick for pointing out a big driver for our refresher
                  course - to introduce "old" Wood Badgers to the new course and reduce
                  their resistance and fear of change so that they can help us all move
                  forward. I believe that those who take the refresher will come away
                  excited. That will help the Wood Badge tradition continue.

                  We should all remember that Wood Badge was not always a leadership
                  skills course and there have been other changes in the program more
                  radical (IMHO) than the one we are currently facing. My father was a
                  staffer when the 11 leaderhsip skills design was first introduced.
                  He tells stories about folks' predictions of great harm to Scouting
                  coupled with reluctance to accept the changes. That is very similar
                  to what we see happening today. Scouting has survived and flourished
                  for over 90 years in spite of changes and challenges. Wood Badge
                  will also survive and will continue to help us better serve the youth
                  in Scouting.

                  Jim, you would be eligible to take the Istrouma Council refresher
                  course. The notice on the Istrouma Council Web page reads in part as
                  follows: "The Istrouma Area Council will host an update course on the
                  new 21st Century Wood Badge this coming September for those who have
                  already earned their beads or are now working on a ticket." The
                  notice can be found at
                  http://www.iac-bsa.org/woodbadge_refresher.htm

                  I think that both the refresher and the course are going to be
                  great. Much credit goes to the many dedicated Scouters who worked so
                  hard to develop the new course. Thanks also to Steve Elwart and Mike
                  Dunne for coming up with the refresher and making it happen.

                  YiS,
                  Jak Stallings
                  Istrouma Area Council
                  --- In scouter_t@y..., "Jim Hawkins" <brazil_nut54@y...> wrote:
                  > I just finished an excellent Wood Badge course in the Middle
                  > Tennessee Council. It followed the old syllabus. However, as good
                  as
                  > that course was, I find myself identifying with "Cpaitlres":
                  >
                  > "There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in
                  > course content. Many people want to see what the changes are all
                  > about." <snip
                  >
                  > It will be a long time before I could possibly take a Wood Badge
                  > refresher course. I still have my ticket to work. There is part of
                  me
                  > that is glad I experienced the "old way". However, part of me knows
                  > that way is the past. I will never be asked to be on the staff for
                  > that type of Wood Badge simply because it no longer exists. I
                  learned
                  > a lot of valuable information and had many wonderful experiences.
                  But
                  > I am clueless about the new Wood Badge. So part of me wishes they
                  had
                  > followed the new syllabus.
                  >
                  > Jim Hawkins
                  > Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                  > CC Pack 18
                  > SA Troop 18
                  > Shawnee Trails Council, BSA
                • Michael Brown
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                    --- In scouter_t@y..., "Cpaitlres" <rkagawa@c...> wrote:
                    > You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the
                    new
                    > Woodbadge course.

                    Correct. The new WB course is open to Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
                    Scout, and Venturing leaders. As I think most are aware, the prior 3
                    versions of WB were aimed at Cub Scout Trainers, Boy Scout Leaders,
                    and Varsity Scout Leaders, respectively. They decided to merge these
                    into one WB, rather then create WB courses aimed at Cub Scouters &
                    Venturing leaders.

                    > The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already
                    received their
                    > beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are
                    many people
                    > that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many
                    people want
                    > to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the
                    former
                    > course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know
                    if
                    > reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the
                    course. This
                    > refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited
                    about
                    > the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                    Actually, as I understand it, those who have taken the prior WB
                    courses are NOT allowed to retake the new WB course. So for them,
                    this refresher course is the ONLY way to get the added information
                    available in the new course.

                    Michael Brown
                    Venturing Crew #1838
                    SWFL Council
                    BSLWB SE-478-29
                  • Sean Scott
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                      FYI, got my copies of the new training syllabi (all of them!) earlier this
                      week and spent the last couple of nights sifting through the box and reading
                      through them.

                      My thoughts so far: Very cool!

                      Much more professionally put together and complete than the old Cub leader
                      training handbook. The new syllabus looks like it will be easier to
                      implement over two evenings as well, with a more natural break. I'm looking
                      forward to putting one of these into action!

                      My only comment is that it seems less receptive to including a theme than
                      the old version. We did a little more than just throw in some theme related
                      skits and run-ons through the day. Our opening and some of the sessions were
                      delivered with the theme in mind. (This year it's "Cub Scout Magic") The new
                      training has a more prescribed opening, and at least on a first read,
                      doesn't appear as flexible. Any thoughts?
                      --
                      Sean Scott
                      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

                      WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                    • Jim Hawkins
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                        It's not the program that will not let me take the refresher course
                        right now. It's my wife :-))

                        Thanks for the information.

                        YIS

                        Jim Hawkins
                        Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                        CC Pack 18
                        SA Troop 18
                        Shawnee Trails Council, BSA

                        --- In scouter_t@y..., jmstall@y... wrote:
                        .
                        .
                        .

                        > Jim, you would be eligible to take the Istrouma Council refresher
                        > course. The notice on the Istrouma Council Web page reads in part
                        as
                        > follows: "The Istrouma Area Council will host an update course on
                        the
                        > new 21st Century Wood Badge this coming September for those who
                        have
                        > already earned their beads or are now working on a ticket." The
                        > notice can be found at
                        > http://www.iac-bsa.org/woodbadge_refresher.htm
                      • Rick Rambo
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                          The word we have gotten from our council TC is that previously WB'ers will
                          be allowed to attend the new course - but only if there are not 'new' people
                          who are kept waiting.

                          **********
                          America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
                          **********
                          Rick Rambo
                          e-mail: rickram.geo@...

                          FAX: (561) 673-0437
                          http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
                          http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
                          AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

                          > You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the
                          new
                          > Woodbadge course.

                          Correct. The new WB course is open to Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
                          Scout, and Venturing leaders. As I think most are aware, the prior 3
                          versions of WB were aimed at Cub Scout Trainers, Boy Scout Leaders,
                          and Varsity Scout Leaders, respectively. They decided to merge these
                          into one WB, rather then create WB courses aimed at Cub Scouters &
                          Venturing leaders.

                          > The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already
                          received their
                          > beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are
                          many people
                          > that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many
                          people want
                          > to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the
                          former
                          > course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know
                          if
                          > reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the
                          course. This
                          > refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited
                          about
                          > the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                          Actually, as I understand it, those who have taken the prior WB
                          courses are NOT allowed to retake the new WB course. So for them,
                          this refresher course is the ONLY way to get the added information
                          available in the new course.

                          Michael Brown
                          Venturing Crew #1838
                          SWFL Council
                          BSLWB SE-478-29

                        • Chris Summers
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 11, 2001
                            >There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in course
                            content. Many people want to see what the changes are all about.<

                            This is not the first time I've heard this. When I did my BS WB course which
                            was a 3 weekend course several old timers told me that it just wasn't the
                            same as a week long WB. Well, I went on to do CS WB and it was a week long
                            course and it was a little different but I can't say it was better or more
                            meaningful.

                            And I've heard recently at some District and Council level meetings that
                            "It's just not the same" and heard it referred to as a "kindler gentler
                            Wood Badge".

                            I like to think that Wood Badge is what you make it not the other way
                            around. It's your ticket, not someone elses.

                            YOF
                            Chris in Houston

                          • Maddalena, Frank
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 11, 2001
                              Trust me Jim we have all been there with our respective spouses!!

                              Y.I.S.
                              Frank Maddalena

                            • doublelope@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 4, 2001
                                --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
                                > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the
                                Istrouma
                                > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
                                >
                                > My understanding is that it has been approved by National.
                                However,
                                > it will not be an ongoing course since Councils will only need to
                                > hold it a few times.

                                Randy: When we unveiled the new training last week, the new Wood
                                Badge course came up. Someone asked if there was going to be an
                                update course done. He's an old Wood Badger who went through the
                                course way back when, before the one we just discontinued existed. I
                                mentioned that I had seen something in this group, and that I would
                                see what I could find out. Anyway, how would we get our hands on
                                this refresher course. We'd like to offer it here.
                                Thanks for your help.

                                Linda Goff
                                Great Smoky Mountain Council Cub Training Chair
                                I use to be an Antelope (SE-CS-15 & SE-497)