cub scout leader training

  • jschulman139
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2007
      is there any particular order in which the Cub Scout leader training
      is to be taken., ie, can Baloo training take place before Cub Scout
      Leader Specific.
      We have many people who have taken New Leader Essentials and they wish
      to go outsdie of our council and take Baloo before Cub Scout Specific
      is given in our council.
    • John Halter
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2007
        Baloo training can be taken any time. As for a particular order, I
        would say the generally accepted order new leaders should take training
        would be something along the lines of:
        Fast Start/Youth Protection
        New Leader Essentials
        Leader Specific for current position
        At this point, they would be considered trained and could begin taking
        any number of supplemental training courses. Supplemental training
        courses like Safety Afloat and Safe Swim Defense can be taken at any
        point along the way, but to take Woodbadge, you have to be 'trained',
        which means you would have to have completed the basic training courses
        previously listed.

        Thank you,

        John Halter
        District Commissioner
        Wekiwa District
        Central FL Council, B.S.A.
        www.wekiwa.cfcbsa.org
        "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
        ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2007
          THere is no prescribed order. While it would be helpful to have had position specific training (especially for Cubmasters & Committee Chairs, in this case), it is possible to take BALOO without having had *any* previous training

        • bill smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2007
            I was told that we should advise people to take Leader
            Specific before New Leader Essentials. It seems that
            knowing their job is more essential than the "Essentials."

            bill smith
            tampa fl.

            jschulman139 wrote:

            > is there any particular order in which the Cub Scout leader training
            > is to be taken., ie, can Baloo training take place before Cub Scout
            > Leader Specific.
            > We have many people who have taken New Leader Essentials and they wish
            > to go outsdie of our council and take Baloo before Cub Scout Specific
            > is given in our council.

          • John Halter
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2007
              It has been mentioned here in recent months that the updated training
              syllabus' due any time now actually have this change incorporated in
              them. Hopefully the time line for the new basic training syllabus is
              shorter than the time it took to get the new Cub RT training syllabus. ;- )