Re: [Scouter_T] Advanced Outdoor Skills Training

  • Sean Scott
    Message 1 of 19 , May 7, 2001
      > Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
      > that teaches exactly these skills.
      >
      > Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?
      >
      > Judy Yeager

      If I had one <grin>. Let me get a hold of some course flyers for you at
      least, and I'll see if I can get in touch with someone that has more
      information about the training itself.
      --
      Sean Scott
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

      WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
    • Steven Featherkile
      Message 2 of 19 , May 8, 2001
        I usta be a member of the Desert Pacific Council's High Adventure Training
        Team when I lived in San Diego.. Here is their URL. Lotsa good stuff.

        http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/4321/ha_main.htm

        Steve Featherkile

        Judy Yeager wrote:

        > Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
        > that teaches exactly these skills.
        >
        > Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?
        >
        > Judy Yeager

      • Michael Brown
        Message 3 of 19 , May 8, 2001
          --- In scouter_t@y..., "Dee Dee" <deedee.cobb@e...> wrote:
          > Hey everyone!
          >
          > I'm working on an outline of training opportunities for all
          programs,
          > within the 4 levels of training.....
          >
          > With Outdoor Skills we have:
          > BALOO
          > Webelos Leader Outdoor Experience (WLOE) in our council OWL to
          others
          > Outdoor Leader Skills
          >
          > All of these training events have a description that they are basic
          > level or introductory level.

          But realize that each of these courses are aimed at different sets of
          leaders! Outdoor Leader Skills is aimed at Boy Scout, Varsity Scout,
          and Venturing leaders, not Cub Scout leaders, for instance.

          > What do we point scout leaders to for "advanced" training?
          >
          > Is it the Outdoor Skills segments for Aquatics, Backpacking,
          Camping,
          > Cooking, Climbing/Rapelling, Survival, Team Building?

          Yes, those are them. HOWEVER, realize that those are skills segments
          that your council would have to use in putting together your OWN
          Advanced Outdoor Leader Skills event, whatever you might call it.

          Also, Powderhorn is NOT an advanced skills course. It is NOT meant to
          make you an expert in all the subject areas it covers. Its intended
          to make you familiar with these areas and how to find the right
          subject matter experts to teach these skills to Venturing youth so
          that they may earn the Ranger Award. As stated on the Powderhorn
          website: its "designed to expose the Venturing or Boy Scout leader to
          activities and resources necessary to operate a successful Venturing
          Ranger or Troop High Adventure program in several ways:

          * Help Venturing Leaders and Scouters to safely conduct
          outdoor activities of a fun and challenging nature.

          * Provides an introduction to the resources necessary to
          successfully lead their Venturers and older Boy Scout through a
          program of high adventure.

          *Familiarizes the Advisor with the Ranger program so that he
          or she can help the Venturer to meet the requirements of the Ranger
          Award.

          Bottom line, there is no National syllabus for a weekend "Advanced
          Outdoor Skills" course. But council have the ability to do this on
          their own, making use of the OSI syllabi or stuff that others develop.
          (I would recommend including Leave No Trace training, for instance).
          Those who go thru Powderhorn would be a great resource for helping
          make this happen.

          Hope this helps.

          YiS

          Michael Brown
          Venturing Crew #1838
        • Joseph Tabrisky
          Message 4 of 19 , May 8, 2001
            Michael Brown wrote:

            > But realize that each of these courses are aimed at different sets of
            > leaders! Outdoor Leader Skills is aimed at Boy Scout, Varsity Scout,
            > and Venturing leaders, not Cub Scout leaders, for instance.

            The OLS syllabus also recommends the course for second year Webelos Leaders
            who otherwise have had WLOT/OWL during the first year of Webelos, so OLS is
            recommended for a limited group of Cub Scout Leaders.

            Joe Tabrisky
            District Training Chairman
            Pacifica District
            Los Angeles Area Council
            used to be an Eagle (W-CS-44)
            used to be an Antelope (WEM-39-00)
          • Sean Scott
            Message 5 of 19 , May 15, 2001
              > Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
              > that teaches exactly these skills.
              >
              > Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?
              >
              > Judy Yeager

              Judy,

              For details, contact my Buffalo friend Paula at TOWONUNI@....

              She has information on canoeing. They are in the process of changing basic
              backpacking. For their Desert Awareness training, they use a book called
              "Mojave Desert Discovery: An Educator's Guide to the Cultural and Natural
              History Of Death Valley National Park, Mojave National Preserve, Joshua Tree
              National Park" She is looking to see if our LOST (Leader Outdoor Survival
              Training) is in syllabus form yet. For climbing, she says they use "Topping
              Out" and the climbing merit badge book.

              I know that there are some other courses that are taught through our HAT
              program. Here are all the courses we provide (that I could find/remember):

              Winter Camping
              HAT Cooking
              Map and Compass
              Basic Backpacking
              Wilderness Survival
              Desert Awareness
              Canoeing Basics
              LOST (Leader Outdoor Skills Training)
              Climbing School

              Paula should be able to give you some info on these, or hook you up with
              someone in our council who can.
              --

            • melliott@ix.netcom.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 16, 2001
                Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation to
                leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                appreciated.

                -Michael Elliott
              • Michael Brown
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 16, 2001
                  --- In scouter_t@y..., melliott@i... wrote:
                  > Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation to
                  > leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                  > appreciated.

                  What exactly are you looking for? That's a pretty broad area. Are
                  you look for training on the High Adventure programs? Planning HA
                  trips? LNT training? Backpacking? Canoeing?

                  Michael Brown
                  Venturing Crew #1838
                • melliott@ix.netcom.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                    --- In scouter_t@y..., "Michael Brown" <emb021@e...> wrote:
                    > --- In scouter_t@y..., melliott@i... wrote:
                    > > Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation
                    > > leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                    > > appreciated.
                    > >

                    > What exactly are you looking for? That's a pretty broad area. Are
                    > you look for training on the High Adventure programs? Planning HA
                    > trips? LNT training? Backpacking? Canoeing?
                    >
                    > Michael Brown
                    > Venturing Crew #1838

                    I am the HA training chair for the council so I am looking for all
                    references/resources I can find; particularly in the planning and
                    program areas. I am currently a LNT certified instructor and have
                    taken advanced wilderness first aid. Our council program is probbly
                    more geared to backpacking how ever there has been an interest
                    expressed in cold weater camping, canoeing, kayaking etc.
                  • HaroldACC@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                      This is clearly something you need to discuss with your Venturing
                      Chairperson. The Powder Horn Course is a wonderful way to introduce leaders
                      to High Adventure programs.

                      Harold Hicks
                      Westmoreland Fayette Council
                      Venture Training Chair

                    • Signe Rogers
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                        Sounds like you are needing what Powder Horn offers.
                        www.powderhorn-bsa.org for upcoming course schedules.

                        Signe Rogers
                        2001 Powder Horn Course Director
                        Central Region/Quivira Council

                        > > Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation
                        > > leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                        > > appreciated.
                        > >

                        > What exactly are you looking for? That's a pretty broad area. Are
                        > you look for training on the High Adventure programs? Planning HA
                        > trips? LNT training? Backpacking? Canoeing?
                        >
                        > Michael Brown
                        > Venturing Crew #1838

                        I am the HA training chair for the council so I am looking for all
                        references/resources I can find; particularly in the planning and
                        program areas. I am currently a LNT certified instructor and have
                        taken advanced wilderness first aid. Our council program is probbly
                        more geared to backpacking how ever there has been an interest
                        expressed in cold weater camping, canoeing, kayaking etc.

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                          Isn't this what 'Powder Horn' is supposed to teach? - High
                          Adventure training and where to find the expertise?

                          Pete Mullaney
                        • melliott@ix.netcom.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 20, 2001
                            --- In scouter_t@y..., "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]"
                            <mullaney@p...> wrote:
                            > Isn't this what 'Powder Horn' is supposed to teach? - High
                            > Adventure training and where to find the expertise?
                            >
                            > Pete Mullaney

                            I would suppose 'Powder Horn' might provide some of what I am looking
                            for. However I don't have the syllabus and I am searching for
                            specifics that can be taught in a weekend or weekend plus an evening
                            or Saturday morning tor Scouters who are taking their troop on an
                            outing that could be classed as High Adventure; ie.; 50 miler, winter
                            camping, kayaking etc. I am not currently working with Venture crews
                            or leaders, however that might be down the road.

                            M.Elliott
                          • Dan Kurtenbach
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 20, 2001
                              Coop Wright does a V3LOT (Venture, Varsity, Venturing Leaders Outdoor
                              Training) that sounds like what you are looking for. Email him at
                              coopwright@....

                              Dan Kurtenbach
                              Fairfax, VA

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 5, 2001
                                is this list the place to discuss a district level organization problem of
                                not enough people to run district staffing (training in partcular, but
                                other areas as well)? or should I take this to Scouts-L?

                                Bob Taylor

                                --- "If you build it, they will come."
                                / \
                                ----------- Bob Taylor Troop, 1590 Committee Chairman
                                (| @ @ |) Chief Seattle Council
                                | > | WE1-609-97 (A good old Buffalo)
                                " \_/ " worked my ticket and always an Eagle!
                                """""
                                """ brtaylor@... (home)
                                webpage: http://pacific.telebyte.com/~brtaylor/
                              • Michael Firestone