Re: Bobcat Blitz

  • tbird558trng
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
      Hi Kris,

      Are you looking for something more than this?
      http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-232.pdf

      YIS,
      Jim
    • tbird558trng
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
        Hi Ruth,

        Could you put the document in the Files section of this group? If
        not, would you please email me a copy at tbird558trng @ yahoo.com?

        Thanks,
        Jim
      • rjays6
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
          Hi Jim!

          Glad you mentioned it. I have created a new file "Bobcat" that not
          only has the Bobcat Trail booklet and fortune teller game, but a couple
          of other games and ideas as well.

          You can see the Bobcat Trail booklet and create something similar for
          your own Council/District. It is meant to be printed back to back,
          stapled in the middle and folded for a nice 12 page booklet.

          I'll try to remember to post items like that instead of sending out 25+
          emails with the same attachment! lol!

          Making my way slowly into the 20th century and beyond,
          Ruth
        • JNDunnMN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
            Ruth - thanks so much for sharing this material - I plan to use it at my Roundtable - it will be a big help!

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
              Thanks, Ruth. I'll pass this along to our Cub Scouters. I know
              they'll appreciate it!.

              YIS,
              Jim
            • fros30
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
                I'm no trainer and am brand new to scouting with a start up pack as
                well but somewhere on the web I found a post or discussion about
                Bobcat Blitz.
                The suggestion - and what I did was set up 5 "stations" manned by
                parents. Each station taught 1 requirement of Bobcat and that parent
                signed off that night on each kid that came through. All I had to do
                was walk around and make sure the parent had the info correct
                (provided by me in the start up newsletter, & again at the 1st & 2nd
                meetings, did the blitz on the 3rd meet and recognition on the
                4th/the first Pack Meeting.)
                My Tiger and Wolf dens meet together so they all bobcatted together.
                And the message for my folks was clear from the start:
                Parental involvement = immediate reward for the scout.
                Parents were responsible for not just being there for thier boy but
                also for the den & pack. It also helped them (and me) get ,well,
                acclimated to scouting.
                Each scout had a sheet instead of the book. I collected the money for
                thier scouting books throughout those 1st few weeks and when the boys
                came to me on Blitz night with thier paper signed for each
                requirement I gave them thier book with my autograph instead of thier
                parents signing off. This provided me the opportunity to reinforce my
                name recognition as well as explain to the scout the next badge to
                work on and how to use his book for advancement (parents were usually
                standing close enough to overhear).
                I gave the badges out at pack and I don't know who the parents
                clapped for more; themselves or their scout.

                BTW - I scanned appropriate pages of the Tiger Cub book into Adobe
                and just cut & pasted for both the newsletter & the handout sheets
                used by the parents. If you copy the book make sure to use only the
                text portions and not the entire page. Copyright. But the
                requirements are accessible all over the web if den leaders don't
                have access to a book.

                Did the same for Webelos with the same results.

                Alicia
                CM Pack 998
                Grand Junction TN

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "scoutinglady" <kristens@...> wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > I was talking to one of the ADCs in my District at Roundtable
                tonight
                > and he was talking about how he has run into a problem with new Den
                > Leaders being so lost that the kids don't advance...read don't make
                > Bobcat in a reasonable amount of time and then this continues the
                kids
                > get bored and quit. He was wanting something that could be put into
                > packet to give to the new leader so they could hit the ground
                running
                > until they could get to Leader Training. I am the District Training
                > Chair and we have 7 nle/cub specific in a year so availability of
                > training shouldn't be an issue but it is. I don't think the Fast
                Start
                > goes into the detail the ADC was looking for.
                > Anyway, does anyone have something like this already if not does
                > anyone have any suggestions on activities/projects that could be
                used
                > to guide a new den leader forward to the Den earning their BObcat
                Badge.