Bobcat Blitz

  • scoutinglady
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi All,

      I was talking to one of the ADCs in my District at Roundtable tonight
      and he was talking about how he has run into a problem with new Den
      Leaders being so lost that the kids don't advance...read don't make
      Bobcat in a reasonable amount of time and then this continues the kids
      get bored and quit. He was wanting something that could be put into a
      packet to give to the new leader so they could hit the ground running
      until they could get to Leader Training. I am the District Training
      Chair and we have 7 nle/cub specific in a year so availability of
      training shouldn't be an issue but it is. I don't think the Fast Start
      goes into the detail the ADC was looking for.
      Anyway, does anyone have something like this already if not does
      anyone have any suggestions on activities/projects that could be used
      to guide a new den leader forward to the Den earning their BObcat Badge.

      Thanks,
      Kris
    • tbird558trng
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
        Hi Kris,

        Are you looking for something more than this?
        http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-232.pdf

        YIS,
        Jim
      • rjays6
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
          Hi Kris!

          Our Council has published a "Bobcat Trail, Welcome to Our Pack"
          booklet, which is intended to be handed to new parents during
          recruitment or shortly thereafter. This 12 page booklet explains the
          Bobcat Trail and has a page for each requirement - looks similar to
          what is found in the Wolf or Bear Handbook. The back page references
          our Service Center and Scout Shops. I really like to use this
          because it is short and sweet but more importantly parents can see
          how easy the Bobcat really is without being overwhelmed by the entire
          handbook.

          That said, leaders are always looking for ways to make
          learning/reinforcing the Bobcat fun. In our Cub Scout Specific
          handouts, we've included some activities (that have been borrowed
          from other sources). One that is really fun is the Bobcat Trail
          Game. It is a folding paper game called a "fortune teller". I don't
          know the original source, but it has been around our Council for many
          years. If anyone would like a copy I'll be happy to e-mail it to
          you.

          In addition, the September '07 edition of Scouting Magazine, Front
          Line Stuff, has responses from leaders regarding teaching Bobcat
          requirements to nonreaders. Although this isn't what you asked
          about, there are some fun ideas that any age level could use. Look
          this up on-line for additional responses that were not published.

          KISMIF!

          Ruth White
          Buckeye District Training Chair
          Simon Kenton Council
        • JNDunnMN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
            Ruth - does your council have this book posted on its web site? If so, could you give us a link?

            Thanks,
            Jamie Niss Dunn
            Pack Trainer, Pack 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            Three Rivers District

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
              Hi Jamie!

              No, sorry our Council doesn't have it on their web site. However, I'm
              happy to e-mail the document to anyone who would like to duplicate it.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
                Hi Ruth,

                Could you put the document in the Files section of this group? If
                not, would you please email me a copy at tbird558trng @ yahoo.com?

                Thanks,
                Jim
              • rjays6
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                  Hi Jim!

                  Glad you mentioned it. I have created a new file "Bobcat" that not
                  only has the Bobcat Trail booklet and fortune teller game, but a couple
                  of other games and ideas as well.

                  You can see the Bobcat Trail booklet and create something similar for
                  your own Council/District. It is meant to be printed back to back,
                  stapled in the middle and folded for a nice 12 page booklet.

                  I'll try to remember to post items like that instead of sending out 25+
                  emails with the same attachment! lol!

                  Making my way slowly into the 20th century and beyond,
                  Ruth
                • JNDunnMN@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                    Ruth - thanks so much for sharing this material - I plan to use it at my Roundtable - it will be a big help!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                      Thanks, Ruth. I'll pass this along to our Cub Scouters. I know
                      they'll appreciate it!.

                      YIS,
                      Jim
                    • fros30
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
                        I'm no trainer and am brand new to scouting with a start up pack as
                        well but somewhere on the web I found a post or discussion about
                        Bobcat Blitz.
                        The suggestion - and what I did was set up 5 "stations" manned by
                        parents. Each station taught 1 requirement of Bobcat and that parent
                        signed off that night on each kid that came through. All I had to do
                        was walk around and make sure the parent had the info correct
                        (provided by me in the start up newsletter, & again at the 1st & 2nd
                        meetings, did the blitz on the 3rd meet and recognition on the
                        4th/the first Pack Meeting.)
                        My Tiger and Wolf dens meet together so they all bobcatted together.
                        And the message for my folks was clear from the start:
                        Parental involvement = immediate reward for the scout.
                        Parents were responsible for not just being there for thier boy but
                        also for the den & pack. It also helped them (and me) get ,well,
                        acclimated to scouting.
                        Each scout had a sheet instead of the book. I collected the money for
                        thier scouting books throughout those 1st few weeks and when the boys
                        came to me on Blitz night with thier paper signed for each
                        requirement I gave them thier book with my autograph instead of thier
                        parents signing off. This provided me the opportunity to reinforce my
                        name recognition as well as explain to the scout the next badge to
                        work on and how to use his book for advancement (parents were usually
                        standing close enough to overhear).
                        I gave the badges out at pack and I don't know who the parents
                        clapped for more; themselves or their scout.

                        BTW - I scanned appropriate pages of the Tiger Cub book into Adobe
                        and just cut & pasted for both the newsletter & the handout sheets
                        used by the parents. If you copy the book make sure to use only the
                        text portions and not the entire page. Copyright. But the
                        requirements are accessible all over the web if den leaders don't
                        have access to a book.

                        Did the same for Webelos with the same results.

                        Alicia
                        CM Pack 998
                        Grand Junction TN