Re: [Scouter_T] Re:Campfires

  • Alpvalsys@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2007
      Ed,

      Noticed you're a New Jersey fire warden. I have a canoeing buddy in
      Pleasantville who's also a fire warden and he had occasion to demonstrate it earlier
      this year.

      We had just put in at Hawkins Bridge on the Wading River when we smelled
      smoke. At first, we thought it was up on the hill in one of the campsites there,
      but as we rounded a bend we could see that it was right alongside the river.
      As I was the only one who'd brought his bailer along, I started scooping water
      and throwing it on the fire while my friend pulled out his radio and called
      the nearby forest service fire crew in Chatsworth. While I was able to quench
      most of the obvious fire, we waited until the fire crew arrived and doused it
      completely with a high pressure line. It was an interesting start to an
      otherwise uneventful, but very pleasant, day on the river.

      Ralph V. Balfoort, UC
      I used to be a beaver (NE III-135)
      In the Beaver Patrol as a Scout
      And still Ktemaque (Beaver) Chapter,
      Kittan Lodge #364, OA

    • Don Wilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
        Yes, Pat, I am from North Carolina. Actually live in Germanton, on
        the edge of Forsyth County. Winston-Salem, also in Forsyth County,
        is the home of Old Hickory Council, #427.

        I checked with our local Forest Ranger and found that the post that I
        passed on was for coverage in North Caroline. Until very recently,
        the generally accepted definition of the "Burning Ban" allowed fires
        for cooking or heat. As you read, the lawyer representing the NCDNR
        thought that the ban needed to be more explicit.

        Don Wilson
        OHC 427--
        "There are only four kinds of people in the world:
        Those who have been caregivers;
        Those who are currently caregivers;
        Those who will be caregivers; and
        Those who will need caregivers."