Re: [Scouter_T] Advanced Outdoor Skills Training

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 19 , May 7, 2001
      Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
      that teaches exactly these skills.

      Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?

      Judy Yeager
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 19 , May 7, 2001
        > Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
        > that teaches exactly these skills.
        >
        > Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?
        >
        > Judy Yeager

        If I had one <grin>. Let me get a hold of some course flyers for you at
        least, and I'll see if I can get in touch with someone that has more
        information about the training itself.
        --
        Sean Scott
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

        WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
      • Steven Featherkile
        Message 3 of 19 , May 8, 2001
          I usta be a member of the Desert Pacific Council's High Adventure Training
          Team when I lived in San Diego.. Here is their URL. Lotsa good stuff.

          http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/4321/ha_main.htm

          Steve Featherkile

          Judy Yeager wrote:

          > Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
          > that teaches exactly these skills.
          >
          > Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?
          >
          > Judy Yeager

        • Michael Brown
          Message 4 of 19 , May 8, 2001
            --- In scouter_t@y..., "Dee Dee" <deedee.cobb@e...> wrote:
            > Hey everyone!
            >
            > I'm working on an outline of training opportunities for all
            programs,
            > within the 4 levels of training.....
            >
            > With Outdoor Skills we have:
            > BALOO
            > Webelos Leader Outdoor Experience (WLOE) in our council OWL to
            others
            > Outdoor Leader Skills
            >
            > All of these training events have a description that they are basic
            > level or introductory level.

            But realize that each of these courses are aimed at different sets of
            leaders! Outdoor Leader Skills is aimed at Boy Scout, Varsity Scout,
            and Venturing leaders, not Cub Scout leaders, for instance.

            > What do we point scout leaders to for "advanced" training?
            >
            > Is it the Outdoor Skills segments for Aquatics, Backpacking,
            Camping,
            > Cooking, Climbing/Rapelling, Survival, Team Building?

            Yes, those are them. HOWEVER, realize that those are skills segments
            that your council would have to use in putting together your OWN
            Advanced Outdoor Leader Skills event, whatever you might call it.

            Also, Powderhorn is NOT an advanced skills course. It is NOT meant to
            make you an expert in all the subject areas it covers. Its intended
            to make you familiar with these areas and how to find the right
            subject matter experts to teach these skills to Venturing youth so
            that they may earn the Ranger Award. As stated on the Powderhorn
            website: its "designed to expose the Venturing or Boy Scout leader to
            activities and resources necessary to operate a successful Venturing
            Ranger or Troop High Adventure program in several ways:

            * Help Venturing Leaders and Scouters to safely conduct
            outdoor activities of a fun and challenging nature.

            * Provides an introduction to the resources necessary to
            successfully lead their Venturers and older Boy Scout through a
            program of high adventure.

            *Familiarizes the Advisor with the Ranger program so that he
            or she can help the Venturer to meet the requirements of the Ranger
            Award.

            Bottom line, there is no National syllabus for a weekend "Advanced
            Outdoor Skills" course. But council have the ability to do this on
            their own, making use of the OSI syllabi or stuff that others develop.
            (I would recommend including Leave No Trace training, for instance).
            Those who go thru Powderhorn would be a great resource for helping
            make this happen.

            Hope this helps.

            YiS

            Michael Brown
            Venturing Crew #1838
          • Joseph Tabrisky
            Message 5 of 19 , May 8, 2001
              Michael Brown wrote:

              > But realize that each of these courses are aimed at different sets of
              > leaders! Outdoor Leader Skills is aimed at Boy Scout, Varsity Scout,
              > and Venturing leaders, not Cub Scout leaders, for instance.

              The OLS syllabus also recommends the course for second year Webelos Leaders
              who otherwise have had WLOT/OWL during the first year of Webelos, so OLS is
              recommended for a limited group of Cub Scout Leaders.

              Joe Tabrisky
              District Training Chairman
              Pacifica District
              Los Angeles Area Council
              used to be an Eagle (W-CS-44)
              used to be an Antelope (WEM-39-00)
            • Sean Scott
              Message 6 of 19 , May 15, 2001
                > Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
                > that teaches exactly these skills.
                >
                > Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?
                >
                > Judy Yeager

                Judy,

                For details, contact my Buffalo friend Paula at TOWONUNI@....

                She has information on canoeing. They are in the process of changing basic
                backpacking. For their Desert Awareness training, they use a book called
                "Mojave Desert Discovery: An Educator's Guide to the Cultural and Natural
                History Of Death Valley National Park, Mojave National Preserve, Joshua Tree
                National Park" She is looking to see if our LOST (Leader Outdoor Survival
                Training) is in syllabus form yet. For climbing, she says they use "Topping
                Out" and the climbing merit badge book.

                I know that there are some other courses that are taught through our HAT
                program. Here are all the courses we provide (that I could find/remember):

                Winter Camping
                HAT Cooking
                Map and Compass
                Basic Backpacking
                Wilderness Survival
                Desert Awareness
                Canoeing Basics
                LOST (Leader Outdoor Skills Training)
                Climbing School

                Paula should be able to give you some info on these, or hook you up with
                someone in our council who can.
                --

              • melliott@ix.netcom.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 16, 2001
                  Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation to
                  leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                  appreciated.

                  -Michael Elliott
                • Michael Brown
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 16, 2001
                    --- In scouter_t@y..., melliott@i... wrote:
                    > Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation to
                    > leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                    > appreciated.

                    What exactly are you looking for? That's a pretty broad area. Are
                    you look for training on the High Adventure programs? Planning HA
                    trips? LNT training? Backpacking? Canoeing?

                    Michael Brown
                    Venturing Crew #1838
                  • melliott@ix.netcom.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                      --- In scouter_t@y..., "Michael Brown" <emb021@e...> wrote:
                      > --- In scouter_t@y..., melliott@i... wrote:
                      > > Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation
                      > > leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                      > > appreciated.
                      > >

                      > What exactly are you looking for? That's a pretty broad area. Are
                      > you look for training on the High Adventure programs? Planning HA
                      > trips? LNT training? Backpacking? Canoeing?
                      >
                      > Michael Brown
                      > Venturing Crew #1838

                      I am the HA training chair for the council so I am looking for all
                      references/resources I can find; particularly in the planning and
                      program areas. I am currently a LNT certified instructor and have
                      taken advanced wilderness first aid. Our council program is probbly
                      more geared to backpacking how ever there has been an interest
                      expressed in cold weater camping, canoeing, kayaking etc.
                    • HaroldACC@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                        This is clearly something you need to discuss with your Venturing
                        Chairperson. The Powder Horn Course is a wonderful way to introduce leaders
                        to High Adventure programs.

                        Harold Hicks
                        Westmoreland Fayette Council
                        Venture Training Chair

                      • Signe Rogers
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                          Sounds like you are needing what Powder Horn offers.
                          www.powderhorn-bsa.org for upcoming course schedules.

                          Signe Rogers
                          2001 Powder Horn Course Director
                          Central Region/Quivira Council

                          > > Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation
                          > > leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                          > > appreciated.
                          > >

                          > What exactly are you looking for? That's a pretty broad area. Are
                          > you look for training on the High Adventure programs? Planning HA
                          > trips? LNT training? Backpacking? Canoeing?
                          >
                          > Michael Brown
                          > Venturing Crew #1838

                          I am the HA training chair for the council so I am looking for all
                          references/resources I can find; particularly in the planning and
                          program areas. I am currently a LNT certified instructor and have
                          taken advanced wilderness first aid. Our council program is probbly
                          more geared to backpacking how ever there has been an interest
                          expressed in cold weater camping, canoeing, kayaking etc.

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                            Isn't this what 'Powder Horn' is supposed to teach? - High
                            Adventure training and where to find the expertise?

                            Pete Mullaney
                          • melliott@ix.netcom.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 20, 2001
                              --- In scouter_t@y..., "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]"
                              <mullaney@p...> wrote:
                              > Isn't this what 'Powder Horn' is supposed to teach? - High
                              > Adventure training and where to find the expertise?
                              >
                              > Pete Mullaney

                              I would suppose 'Powder Horn' might provide some of what I am looking
                              for. However I don't have the syllabus and I am searching for
                              specifics that can be taught in a weekend or weekend plus an evening
                              or Saturday morning tor Scouters who are taking their troop on an
                              outing that could be classed as High Adventure; ie.; 50 miler, winter
                              camping, kayaking etc. I am not currently working with Venture crews
                              or leaders, however that might be down the road.

                              M.Elliott
                            • Dan Kurtenbach
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 20, 2001
                                Coop Wright does a V3LOT (Venture, Varsity, Venturing Leaders Outdoor
                                Training) that sounds like what you are looking for. Email him at
                                coopwright@....

                                Dan Kurtenbach
                                Fairfax, VA

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 5 5:54 AM
                                  is this list the place to discuss a district level organization problem of
                                  not enough people to run district staffing (training in partcular, but
                                  other areas as well)? or should I take this to Scouts-L?

                                  Bob Taylor

                                  --- "If you build it, they will come."
                                  / \
                                  ----------- Bob Taylor Troop, 1590 Committee Chairman
                                  (| @ @ |) Chief Seattle Council
                                  | > | WE1-609-97 (A good old Buffalo)
                                  " \_/ " worked my ticket and always an Eagle!
                                  """""
                                  """ brtaylor@... (home)
                                  webpage: http://pacific.telebyte.com/~brtaylor/
                                • Michael Firestone