Campfires

  • Don Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 25, 2007
      There has been a great deal of interpreting, confusion and
      questions about the burn ban that has led to inconsistent
      enforcement of the burn ban across the state. In the past we
      have stated in news releases that " the burn ban does not apply
      to cooking fires, such as grills or outdoor cookers". We also
      have stated to the public that fires for warmth and cooking
      purposes is permissible. DENR General Counsel has interpreted
      the burn ban statute and clarified this below. In summary, open
      flame is not permitted for any purpose beyond 100' of an occupied
      dwelling. A camp site (for example a tent, RV, pop up trailer)
      is not considered an occupied dwellings. Furthermore, open
      flame/burning for cooking and warmth is not permissible. A
      completely contained/enclosed grill with a watch person is
      allowed. We hope this helps clarify this topic and allows for
      consistent enforcement. Thanks, Ray Adcox, NCDFR Law Enforcement
      Branch Head Shardul Raval, NCDFR Central Operations Center

      Don Wilson
      427 OHC
    • Walter and Pat Shaw
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2007
        Don,

        Please forgive me for asking what may be the obvious. Your information
        applies to North Carolina, right?

        Thanks,

        Pat Shaw

        ASM, Troop 69

        Birmingham, AL

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2007
          Yes you need to check with the camp that you will be camping at. But also check the states web page to see if they have ban sometimes the information dose not get to the camps. Most states try to fax or have local fire Warden or Ranger problem is if they are out on fire lines they do not have time to call.

          Below is the standard Fire Fire Restriction Rating System but it may change from state to state this is the one from NJ. I also listed the Fire Danger Rating System which is the same as the Federal government uses

          During periods of drought or high fire danger, campfires may be prohibited in accordance with the following guidelines:

          Stage # 1 - Fires directly on the ground will be prohibited unless in a prepared fire ring. Fires on mineral soil which will not endanger the forest, such as in a gravel pit, may be permitted at the discretion of the Forest Fire-warden issuing the permit. A prepared fire ring must be constructed of steel, stone, brick, or concrete with a gravel or masonry base.

          Stage # 2 - All fires in wooded areas will be prohibited unless in an elevated prepared fireplace, elevated charcoal grill or stove using electricity or a liquid or gas fuel.
          An elevated prepared fireplace must be constructed of steel, stone, brick or concrete with its fire box elevated at least one foot above the ground surface and surrounded by at least a ten feet radius clearance to mineral soil.

          Stage # 3 - All fires in wooded areas will be prohibited unless contained in an elevated stove using only propane, natural gas, gas, or electricity. No charcoal fires are allowed.

          Fire Danger Rating System
          Low
          Fires will not spread beyond heat of camp fire or brush fire. Moderate
          Fires will start from open flame, camp or brush fire. Spreads slowly. High
          Fires will start from a lighted match and spread rapidly in dry grass, slower with moisture. Will continue to spread until extinguished. Very High
          Fires will start readily from match or glowing embers, and spreads rapidly as it increases in size. May crown young conifers. Extreme
          Fires start readily from sparks or cigarette butts, spread and crown rapidly. Spot fires common. All burn fiercely and may blow up unless controlled promptly

          Ed Haffy
          Troop 101 Wayne, NJ
          and NJ State Deputy Fire Warden
          http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/fire/aboutus.html
          http://www.section2wildfire.com

        • Alpvalsys@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2007
            Ed,

            Noticed you're a New Jersey fire warden. I have a canoeing buddy in
            Pleasantville who's also a fire warden and he had occasion to demonstrate it earlier
            this year.

            We had just put in at Hawkins Bridge on the Wading River when we smelled
            smoke. At first, we thought it was up on the hill in one of the campsites there,
            but as we rounded a bend we could see that it was right alongside the river.
            As I was the only one who'd brought his bailer along, I started scooping water
            and throwing it on the fire while my friend pulled out his radio and called
            the nearby forest service fire crew in Chatsworth. While I was able to quench
            most of the obvious fire, we waited until the fire crew arrived and doused it
            completely with a high pressure line. It was an interesting start to an
            otherwise uneventful, but very pleasant, day on the river.

            Ralph V. Balfoort, UC
            I used to be a beaver (NE III-135)
            In the Beaver Patrol as a Scout
            And still Ktemaque (Beaver) Chapter,
            Kittan Lodge #364, OA

          • Don Wilson
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
              Yes, Pat, I am from North Carolina. Actually live in Germanton, on
              the edge of Forsyth County. Winston-Salem, also in Forsyth County,
              is the home of Old Hickory Council, #427.

              I checked with our local Forest Ranger and found that the post that I
              passed on was for coverage in North Caroline. Until very recently,
              the generally accepted definition of the "Burning Ban" allowed fires
              for cooking or heat. As you read, the lawyer representing the NCDNR
              thought that the ban needed to be more explicit.

              Don Wilson
              OHC 427--
              "There are only four kinds of people in the world:
              Those who have been caregivers;
              Those who are currently caregivers;
              Those who will be caregivers; and
              Those who will need caregivers."