Re: Woodbadge Refresher

  • Michael Brown
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2001
      --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
      > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the Istrouma
      > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
      >
      > This is for those leaders (Cub Scout or Boy Scout) that have been
      > through Woodbadge. It will cover the five themes upon whcih the new
      > course is centered: Bringing the Vision to Life, Models for Success,
      > Tools of the Trade, Leading to Make A Difference, and Living the
      > Values. Participants will be asked to write a simple ticket so they
      > can practice using the new skills.
      >
      > My understanding is that it has been approved by National. However,
      > it will not be an ongoing course since Councils will only need to
      > hold it a few times.

      Interesting.

      I had asked our Wood Badge course director a couple of weekends ago if
      such a course existed and when would we see it. He stated that such a
      course did not exist because the new WB was different from the old WB
      only in delivery method, not content. Guess he was incorrect.

      Michael Brown
      Venturing Crew #1838
      Southwest Florida Council

      BSWB SE-478-29
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2001
        It certainly will be different for Cub Scouters who were used to a
        super-trainer type course.

        Dave

        Michael Brown wrote:

        > --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
        > > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the Istrouma
        > > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
        > >
        > > This is for those leaders (Cub Scout or Boy Scout) that have been
        > > through Woodbadge.
        > >
        > Interesting.
        >
        > I had asked our Wood Badge course director a couple of weekends ago if
        > such a course existed and when would we see it. He stated that such a
        > course did not exist because the new WB was different from the old WB
        > only in delivery method, not content. Guess he was incorrect.
        >
        > Michael Brown
        > Venturing Crew #1838
        > Southwest Florida Council

        To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
        the mailto: address below

        Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
        164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
        Greenland, NH 03840
        Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
        possit materiari?
      • Cpaitlres
        Message 3 of 16 , May 7, 2001
          Randy,

          Orange County Council (California) is planning on running the same course in
          Southern California. I got your schedule from Steve Elwart and Mike Dunn. It
          was such a great idea I had to imitate it. Great going Mike and Steve!

          Rick Kagawa

          P.S. I did get approval from Western region and my Council.

          A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the Istrouma
          Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.

          This is for those leaders (Cub Scout or Boy Scout) that have been
          through Woodbadge. It will cover the five themes upon whcih the new
          course is centered: Bringing the Vision to Life, Models for Success,
          Tools of the Trade, Leading to Make A Difference, and Living the
          Values. Participants will be asked to write a simple ticket so they
          can practice using the new skills.

          My understanding is that it has been approved by National. However,
          it will not be an ongoing course since Councils will only need to
          hold it a few times.

          Randy Worcester

        • Cpaitlres
          Message 4 of 16 , May 8, 2001
            Cub Scout woodbadge trainers will get the new course. The method in Cub
            Scout Trainer Woodbadge to create leadership was to use training to make
            trainers to take leadership roles. The new course is a leadership course.
            Leadership is the same if it is Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity or Venturing.
            The new course is great.

            Rick Kagawa

            Message 5 of 16 , May 9, 2001
              Acording to the folks in Dallas(Walnut Hill), ANY Scouting Leader may
              take the new Wood Badge course, once s/he has completed the training for
              her/his specific position.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 16 , May 9, 2001
                You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the new
                Woodbadge course.

                The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already received their
                beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are many people
                that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many people want
                to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the former
                course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know if
                reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the course. This
                refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited about
                the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                Cpaitlres wrote:

                > Cub Scout woodbadge trainers will get the new course. The method in Cub
                > Scout Trainer Woodbadge to create leadership was to use training to make
                > trainers to take leadership roles. The new course is a leadership course.
                > Leadership is the same if it is Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity or
                Venturing.
                > The new course is great.
                >
                > Rick Kagawa

              • Jim Hawkins
                Message 7 of 16 , May 9, 2001
                  I just finished an excellent Wood Badge course in the Middle
                  Tennessee Council. It followed the old syllabus. However, as good as
                  that course was, I find myself identifying with "Cpaitlres":

                  "There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in
                  course content. Many people want to see what the changes are all
                  about." <snip

                  It will be a long time before I could possibly take a Wood Badge
                  refresher course. I still have my ticket to work. There is part of me
                  that is glad I experienced the "old way". However, part of me knows
                  that way is the past. I will never be asked to be on the staff for
                  that type of Wood Badge simply because it no longer exists. I learned
                  a lot of valuable information and had many wonderful experiences. But
                  I am clueless about the new Wood Badge. So part of me wishes they had
                  followed the new syllabus.

                  Jim Hawkins
                  Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                  CC Pack 18
                  SA Troop 18
                  Shawnee Trails Council, BSA

                • jmstall@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                    Many thanks to Rick for pointing out a big driver for our refresher
                    course - to introduce "old" Wood Badgers to the new course and reduce
                    their resistance and fear of change so that they can help us all move
                    forward. I believe that those who take the refresher will come away
                    excited. That will help the Wood Badge tradition continue.

                    We should all remember that Wood Badge was not always a leadership
                    skills course and there have been other changes in the program more
                    radical (IMHO) than the one we are currently facing. My father was a
                    staffer when the 11 leaderhsip skills design was first introduced.
                    He tells stories about folks' predictions of great harm to Scouting
                    coupled with reluctance to accept the changes. That is very similar
                    to what we see happening today. Scouting has survived and flourished
                    for over 90 years in spite of changes and challenges. Wood Badge
                    will also survive and will continue to help us better serve the youth
                    in Scouting.

                    Jim, you would be eligible to take the Istrouma Council refresher
                    course. The notice on the Istrouma Council Web page reads in part as
                    follows: "The Istrouma Area Council will host an update course on the
                    new 21st Century Wood Badge this coming September for those who have
                    already earned their beads or are now working on a ticket." The
                    notice can be found at
                    http://www.iac-bsa.org/woodbadge_refresher.htm

                    I think that both the refresher and the course are going to be
                    great. Much credit goes to the many dedicated Scouters who worked so
                    hard to develop the new course. Thanks also to Steve Elwart and Mike
                    Dunne for coming up with the refresher and making it happen.

                    YiS,
                    Jak Stallings
                    Istrouma Area Council
                    --- In scouter_t@y..., "Jim Hawkins" <brazil_nut54@y...> wrote:
                    > I just finished an excellent Wood Badge course in the Middle
                    > Tennessee Council. It followed the old syllabus. However, as good
                    as
                    > that course was, I find myself identifying with "Cpaitlres":
                    >
                    > "There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in
                    > course content. Many people want to see what the changes are all
                    > about." <snip
                    >
                    > It will be a long time before I could possibly take a Wood Badge
                    > refresher course. I still have my ticket to work. There is part of
                    me
                    > that is glad I experienced the "old way". However, part of me knows
                    > that way is the past. I will never be asked to be on the staff for
                    > that type of Wood Badge simply because it no longer exists. I
                    learned
                    > a lot of valuable information and had many wonderful experiences.
                    But
                    > I am clueless about the new Wood Badge. So part of me wishes they
                    had
                    > followed the new syllabus.
                    >
                    > Jim Hawkins
                    > Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                    > CC Pack 18
                    > SA Troop 18
                    > Shawnee Trails Council, BSA
                  • Michael Brown
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                      --- In scouter_t@y..., "Cpaitlres" <rkagawa@c...> wrote:
                      > You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the
                      new
                      > Woodbadge course.

                      Correct. The new WB course is open to Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
                      Scout, and Venturing leaders. As I think most are aware, the prior 3
                      versions of WB were aimed at Cub Scout Trainers, Boy Scout Leaders,
                      and Varsity Scout Leaders, respectively. They decided to merge these
                      into one WB, rather then create WB courses aimed at Cub Scouters &
                      Venturing leaders.

                      > The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already
                      received their
                      > beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are
                      many people
                      > that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many
                      people want
                      > to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the
                      former
                      > course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know
                      if
                      > reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the
                      course. This
                      > refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited
                      about
                      > the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                      Actually, as I understand it, those who have taken the prior WB
                      courses are NOT allowed to retake the new WB course. So for them,
                      this refresher course is the ONLY way to get the added information
                      available in the new course.

                      Michael Brown
                      Venturing Crew #1838
                      SWFL Council
                      BSLWB SE-478-29
                    • Sean Scott
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                        FYI, got my copies of the new training syllabi (all of them!) earlier this
                        week and spent the last couple of nights sifting through the box and reading
                        through them.

                        My thoughts so far: Very cool!

                        Much more professionally put together and complete than the old Cub leader
                        training handbook. The new syllabus looks like it will be easier to
                        implement over two evenings as well, with a more natural break. I'm looking
                        forward to putting one of these into action!

                        My only comment is that it seems less receptive to including a theme than
                        the old version. We did a little more than just throw in some theme related
                        skits and run-ons through the day. Our opening and some of the sessions were
                        delivered with the theme in mind. (This year it's "Cub Scout Magic") The new
                        training has a more prescribed opening, and at least on a first read,
                        doesn't appear as flexible. Any thoughts?
                        --
                        Sean Scott
                        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

                        WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                      • Jim Hawkins
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                          It's not the program that will not let me take the refresher course
                          right now. It's my wife :-))

                          Thanks for the information.

                          YIS

                          Jim Hawkins
                          Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                          CC Pack 18
                          SA Troop 18
                          Shawnee Trails Council, BSA

                          --- In scouter_t@y..., jmstall@y... wrote:
                          .
                          .
                          .

                          > Jim, you would be eligible to take the Istrouma Council refresher
                          > course. The notice on the Istrouma Council Web page reads in part
                          as
                          > follows: "The Istrouma Area Council will host an update course on
                          the
                          > new 21st Century Wood Badge this coming September for those who
                          have
                          > already earned their beads or are now working on a ticket." The
                          > notice can be found at
                          > http://www.iac-bsa.org/woodbadge_refresher.htm
                        • Rick Rambo
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                            The word we have gotten from our council TC is that previously WB'ers will
                            be allowed to attend the new course - but only if there are not 'new' people
                            who are kept waiting.

                            **********
                            America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
                            **********
                            Rick Rambo
                            e-mail: rickram.geo@...

                            FAX: (561) 673-0437
                            http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
                            http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
                            AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

                            > You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the
                            new
                            > Woodbadge course.

                            Correct. The new WB course is open to Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
                            Scout, and Venturing leaders. As I think most are aware, the prior 3
                            versions of WB were aimed at Cub Scout Trainers, Boy Scout Leaders,
                            and Varsity Scout Leaders, respectively. They decided to merge these
                            into one WB, rather then create WB courses aimed at Cub Scouters &
                            Venturing leaders.

                            > The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already
                            received their
                            > beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are
                            many people
                            > that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many
                            people want
                            > to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the
                            former
                            > course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know
                            if
                            > reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the
                            course. This
                            > refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited
                            about
                            > the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                            Actually, as I understand it, those who have taken the prior WB
                            courses are NOT allowed to retake the new WB course. So for them,
                            this refresher course is the ONLY way to get the added information
                            available in the new course.

                            Michael Brown
                            Venturing Crew #1838
                            SWFL Council
                            BSLWB SE-478-29

                          • Chris Summers
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 11, 2001
                              >There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in course
                              content. Many people want to see what the changes are all about.<

                              This is not the first time I've heard this. When I did my BS WB course which
                              was a 3 weekend course several old timers told me that it just wasn't the
                              same as a week long WB. Well, I went on to do CS WB and it was a week long
                              course and it was a little different but I can't say it was better or more
                              meaningful.

                              And I've heard recently at some District and Council level meetings that
                              "It's just not the same" and heard it referred to as a "kindler gentler
                              Wood Badge".

                              I like to think that Wood Badge is what you make it not the other way
                              around. It's your ticket, not someone elses.

                              YOF
                              Chris in Houston

                            • Maddalena, Frank
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 11, 2001
                                Trust me Jim we have all been there with our respective spouses!!

                                Y.I.S.
                                Frank Maddalena

                              • doublelope@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 4, 2001
                                  --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
                                  > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the
                                  Istrouma
                                  > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
                                  >
                                  > My understanding is that it has been approved by National.
                                  However,
                                  > it will not be an ongoing course since Councils will only need to
                                  > hold it a few times.

                                  Randy: When we unveiled the new training last week, the new Wood
                                  Badge course came up. Someone asked if there was going to be an
                                  update course done. He's an old Wood Badger who went through the
                                  course way back when, before the one we just discontinued existed. I
                                  mentioned that I had seen something in this group, and that I would
                                  see what I could find out. Anyway, how would we get our hands on
                                  this refresher course. We'd like to offer it here.
                                  Thanks for your help.

                                  Linda Goff
                                  Great Smoky Mountain Council Cub Training Chair
                                  I use to be an Antelope (SE-CS-15 & SE-497)