Advanced Outdoor Skills Training

  • Dee Dee
    Message 1 of 19 , May 6, 2001
      Hey everyone!

      I'm working on an outline of training opportunities for all programs,
      within the 4 levels of training.....

      With Outdoor Skills we have:
      BALOO
      Webelos Leader Outdoor Experience (WLOE) in our council OWL to others
      Outdoor Leader Skills

      All of these training events have a description that they are basic
      level or introductory level.

      What do we point scout leaders to for "advanced" training?

      Is it the Outdoor Skills segments for Aquatics, Backpacking, Camping,
      Cooking, Climbing/Rapelling, Survival, Team Building?

      Or is there something else that I'm missing?

      I like what someone else said recently, "I knew the skills but want
      to learn a good way to teach the boys." I think a lot of the leaders
      get so involved with camping and having fun that they want to improve
      their skills, so "advanced cooking" etc. is what they seek out. So to
      answer their questions of what training event will teach those skills
      would be helpful. Yet, I do believe that what we need to focus on is
      how to teach the boys the basics, and then how to build upon them.

      Dee Dee
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 19 , May 6, 2001
        Powder Horn, a program designed to expose Venturing Leaders to the
        skills and resources for the Ranger Award is open to anyone who has
        completed Scoutmaster Fundamentals or Venturing Leader Training.
        This program features hiking, camping, shooting, water sports, and other
        High Adventure activities leading to the Ranger Award. Check out
        http://www.powderhorn-bsa.org/ for a more detailied description.

        Dave

        Dee Dee wrote:

        > Hey everyone!
        >
        > I'm working on an outline of training opportunities for all programs,
        > within the 4 levels of training.....
        >
        > With Outdoor Skills we have:
        > BALOO
        > Webelos Leader Outdoor Experience (WLOE) in our council OWL to others
        > Outdoor Leader Skills
        >
        > All of these training events have a description that they are basic
        > level or introductory level.
        >
        > What do we point scout leaders to for "advanced" training?
        >
        > Is it the Outdoor Skills segments for Aquatics, Backpacking, Camping,
        > Cooking, Climbing/Rapelling, Survival, Team Building?
        >
        > Or is there something else that I'm missing?
        >
        > Dee Dee

        To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
        the mailto: address below

        Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
        164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
        Greenland, NH 03840
        Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
        possit materiari?
      • Sean Scott
        Message 3 of 19 , May 7, 2001
          Dee Dee asked: What do we point scout leaders to for "advanced" training?

          Is it the Outdoor Skills segments for Aquatics, Backpacking, Camping,
          Cooking, Climbing/Rapelling, Survival, Team Building?

          Dee Dee,

          In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training) that teaches exactly
          these skills. You'd think that you were looking at the flyer! They're
          normally a half or full day classroom course, followed by an overnighter for
          the practical portion.

          --
          Sean Scott
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

          WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 19 , May 7, 2001
            Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
            that teaches exactly these skills.

            Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?

            Judy Yeager
          • Sean Scott
            Message 5 of 19 , May 7, 2001
              > Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
              > that teaches exactly these skills.
              >
              > Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?
              >
              > Judy Yeager

              If I had one <grin>. Let me get a hold of some course flyers for you at
              least, and I'll see if I can get in touch with someone that has more
              information about the training itself.
              --
              Sean Scott
              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
              Cub Scout Training Chairman
              Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

              WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
            • Steven Featherkile
              Message 6 of 19 , May 8, 2001
                I usta be a member of the Desert Pacific Council's High Adventure Training
                Team when I lived in San Diego.. Here is their URL. Lotsa good stuff.

                http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/4321/ha_main.htm

                Steve Featherkile

                Judy Yeager wrote:

                > Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
                > that teaches exactly these skills.
                >
                > Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?
                >
                > Judy Yeager

              • Michael Brown
                Message 7 of 19 , May 8, 2001
                  --- In scouter_t@y..., "Dee Dee" <deedee.cobb@e...> wrote:
                  > Hey everyone!
                  >
                  > I'm working on an outline of training opportunities for all
                  programs,
                  > within the 4 levels of training.....
                  >
                  > With Outdoor Skills we have:
                  > BALOO
                  > Webelos Leader Outdoor Experience (WLOE) in our council OWL to
                  others
                  > Outdoor Leader Skills
                  >
                  > All of these training events have a description that they are basic
                  > level or introductory level.

                  But realize that each of these courses are aimed at different sets of
                  leaders! Outdoor Leader Skills is aimed at Boy Scout, Varsity Scout,
                  and Venturing leaders, not Cub Scout leaders, for instance.

                  > What do we point scout leaders to for "advanced" training?
                  >
                  > Is it the Outdoor Skills segments for Aquatics, Backpacking,
                  Camping,
                  > Cooking, Climbing/Rapelling, Survival, Team Building?

                  Yes, those are them. HOWEVER, realize that those are skills segments
                  that your council would have to use in putting together your OWN
                  Advanced Outdoor Leader Skills event, whatever you might call it.

                  Also, Powderhorn is NOT an advanced skills course. It is NOT meant to
                  make you an expert in all the subject areas it covers. Its intended
                  to make you familiar with these areas and how to find the right
                  subject matter experts to teach these skills to Venturing youth so
                  that they may earn the Ranger Award. As stated on the Powderhorn
                  website: its "designed to expose the Venturing or Boy Scout leader to
                  activities and resources necessary to operate a successful Venturing
                  Ranger or Troop High Adventure program in several ways:

                  * Help Venturing Leaders and Scouters to safely conduct
                  outdoor activities of a fun and challenging nature.

                  * Provides an introduction to the resources necessary to
                  successfully lead their Venturers and older Boy Scout through a
                  program of high adventure.

                  *Familiarizes the Advisor with the Ranger program so that he
                  or she can help the Venturer to meet the requirements of the Ranger
                  Award.

                  Bottom line, there is no National syllabus for a weekend "Advanced
                  Outdoor Skills" course. But council have the ability to do this on
                  their own, making use of the OSI syllabi or stuff that others develop.
                  (I would recommend including Leave No Trace training, for instance).
                  Those who go thru Powderhorn would be a great resource for helping
                  make this happen.

                  Hope this helps.

                  YiS

                  Michael Brown
                  Venturing Crew #1838
                • Joseph Tabrisky
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 8, 2001
                    Michael Brown wrote:

                    > But realize that each of these courses are aimed at different sets of
                    > leaders! Outdoor Leader Skills is aimed at Boy Scout, Varsity Scout,
                    > and Venturing leaders, not Cub Scout leaders, for instance.

                    The OLS syllabus also recommends the course for second year Webelos Leaders
                    who otherwise have had WLOT/OWL during the first year of Webelos, so OLS is
                    recommended for a limited group of Cub Scout Leaders.

                    Joe Tabrisky
                    District Training Chairman
                    Pacifica District
                    Los Angeles Area Council
                    used to be an Eagle (W-CS-44)
                    used to be an Antelope (WEM-39-00)
                  • Sean Scott
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 15, 2001
                      > Sean Scott wrote: In our council, we have HAT (High Adventure Training)
                      > that teaches exactly these skills.
                      >
                      > Obviously (?), this is a local course. Could you share a syllabus?
                      >
                      > Judy Yeager

                      Judy,

                      For details, contact my Buffalo friend Paula at TOWONUNI@....

                      She has information on canoeing. They are in the process of changing basic
                      backpacking. For their Desert Awareness training, they use a book called
                      "Mojave Desert Discovery: An Educator's Guide to the Cultural and Natural
                      History Of Death Valley National Park, Mojave National Preserve, Joshua Tree
                      National Park" She is looking to see if our LOST (Leader Outdoor Survival
                      Training) is in syllabus form yet. For climbing, she says they use "Topping
                      Out" and the climbing merit badge book.

                      I know that there are some other courses that are taught through our HAT
                      program. Here are all the courses we provide (that I could find/remember):

                      Winter Camping
                      HAT Cooking
                      Map and Compass
                      Basic Backpacking
                      Wilderness Survival
                      Desert Awareness
                      Canoeing Basics
                      LOST (Leader Outdoor Skills Training)
                      Climbing School

                      Paula should be able to give you some info on these, or hook you up with
                      someone in our council who can.
                      --

                    • melliott@ix.netcom.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 16, 2001
                        Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation to
                        leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                        appreciated.

                        -Michael Elliott
                      • Michael Brown
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 16, 2001
                          --- In scouter_t@y..., melliott@i... wrote:
                          > Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation to
                          > leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                          > appreciated.

                          What exactly are you looking for? That's a pretty broad area. Are
                          you look for training on the High Adventure programs? Planning HA
                          trips? LNT training? Backpacking? Canoeing?

                          Michael Brown
                          Venturing Crew #1838
                        • melliott@ix.netcom.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                            --- In scouter_t@y..., "Michael Brown" <emb021@e...> wrote:
                            > --- In scouter_t@y..., melliott@i... wrote:
                            > > Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation
                            > > leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                            > > appreciated.
                            > >

                            > What exactly are you looking for? That's a pretty broad area. Are
                            > you look for training on the High Adventure programs? Planning HA
                            > trips? LNT training? Backpacking? Canoeing?
                            >
                            > Michael Brown
                            > Venturing Crew #1838

                            I am the HA training chair for the council so I am looking for all
                            references/resources I can find; particularly in the planning and
                            program areas. I am currently a LNT certified instructor and have
                            taken advanced wilderness first aid. Our council program is probbly
                            more geared to backpacking how ever there has been an interest
                            expressed in cold weater camping, canoeing, kayaking etc.
                          • HaroldACC@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                              This is clearly something you need to discuss with your Venturing
                              Chairperson. The Powder Horn Course is a wonderful way to introduce leaders
                              to High Adventure programs.

                              Harold Hicks
                              Westmoreland Fayette Council
                              Venture Training Chair

                            • Signe Rogers
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                                Sounds like you are needing what Powder Horn offers.
                                www.powderhorn-bsa.org for upcoming course schedules.

                                Signe Rogers
                                2001 Powder Horn Course Director
                                Central Region/Quivira Council

                                > > Searching for sources of High Adventure Training for presentation
                                > > leaders. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly
                                > > appreciated.
                                > >

                                > What exactly are you looking for? That's a pretty broad area. Are
                                > you look for training on the High Adventure programs? Planning HA
                                > trips? LNT training? Backpacking? Canoeing?
                                >
                                > Michael Brown
                                > Venturing Crew #1838

                                I am the HA training chair for the council so I am looking for all
                                references/resources I can find; particularly in the planning and
                                program areas. I am currently a LNT certified instructor and have
                                taken advanced wilderness first aid. Our council program is probbly
                                more geared to backpacking how ever there has been an interest
                                expressed in cold weater camping, canoeing, kayaking etc.

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 17, 2001
                                  Isn't this what 'Powder Horn' is supposed to teach? - High
                                  Adventure training and where to find the expertise?

                                  Pete Mullaney
                                • melliott@ix.netcom.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 20, 2001
                                    --- In scouter_t@y..., "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]"
                                    <mullaney@p...> wrote:
                                    > Isn't this what 'Powder Horn' is supposed to teach? - High
                                    > Adventure training and where to find the expertise?
                                    >
                                    > Pete Mullaney

                                    I would suppose 'Powder Horn' might provide some of what I am looking
                                    for. However I don't have the syllabus and I am searching for
                                    specifics that can be taught in a weekend or weekend plus an evening
                                    or Saturday morning tor Scouters who are taking their troop on an
                                    outing that could be classed as High Adventure; ie.; 50 miler, winter
                                    camping, kayaking etc. I am not currently working with Venture crews
                                    or leaders, however that might be down the road.

                                    M.Elliott
                                  • Dan Kurtenbach
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 20, 2001
                                      Coop Wright does a V3LOT (Venture, Varsity, Venturing Leaders Outdoor
                                      Training) that sounds like what you are looking for. Email him at
                                      coopwright@....

                                      Dan Kurtenbach
                                      Fairfax, VA

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 5, 2001
                                        is this list the place to discuss a district level organization problem of
                                        not enough people to run district staffing (training in partcular, but
                                        other areas as well)? or should I take this to Scouts-L?

                                        Bob Taylor

                                        --- "If you build it, they will come."
                                        / \
                                        ----------- Bob Taylor Troop, 1590 Committee Chairman
                                        (| @ @ |) Chief Seattle Council
                                        | > | WE1-609-97 (A good old Buffalo)
                                        " \_/ " worked my ticket and always an Eagle!
                                        """""
                                        """ brtaylor@... (home)
                                        webpage: http://pacific.telebyte.com/~brtaylor/
                                      • Michael Firestone