Re: [Scouter_T] PADLE and Supplemental Training

  • Sandra Martens
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2007
      no Neil, I don't deviate from the national syllabus at all- I especially stressed to my trainers that they must do the meeting per National- not how they run them.
      no one at council can give me an answer. I talked with our Scout Executive a few days ago about it and he said she was told that by the Cub Scout training division of National (no name for who told her though). Meanwhile, the council seems to be trying to torpedo the whole thing. Right now we only have 4 signed up and the deadline is Monday.

      Sandy OWL

      NeilLup@... wrote:

      In a message dated 10/10/07 10:18:14 AM, Ilively@... writes:

      > The Developing Supplemental Training Courses course was a good experience.
      > It also gave us intensive information as to what National is looking for in a
      > BOY SCOUT supplemental training to be put up on the web in the "supplemental
      > training area."

      I had the opportunity of being with Ida at Philmont for the Developing
      Supplemental Training session. I can certainly confirm that in the Boy Scout
      area, trainers and leaders are encouraged to develop training as needed for
      their own local needs. While it is important that all parts of the formal basic
      Training Continuum be presented to contain all of the specified material,
      there is certainly encouragement for trainers to "liven up" training and make
      it fun and exciting for participants. Also, there is plenty of
      opportunity to develop supplemental training in other areas.

      I have less familiarity with the plan for Cub Scout training, but I do
      believe that the attitude and policies are similar.

      I could understand one reason for your DE to be more pointed in not wanting
      deviations. I have seen cases where a local group makes massive deviations
      from the National plan and doesn't offer the National course guide. They
      instead say "This is how we do it." Is there a chance that your DE is
      addressing such deviations?

      Other than that, the ability to develop one's own training and present it
      is part of what makes Scout training fun for many of us.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton