Re: nationally authorized syllabi only

  • Gerry Moon
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2007
      While we cover the whole syllabus we do inject some district- and
      council-specific info in the right places - for example, in NLE, we
      add in the key 3 contact info, the Roundtable location and date, the
      Council camp info, etc. in the Get Help session, and in the safety
      session we spend a little more time talking safety - it's
      appropriate. We may spend an extra 1 or 2 minutes discussing Youth
      Protection when the group sees a potential child molester at the
      picnic.

      After Cub Scout Position Specifics, we conduct a mock Pack Meeting -
      we have a opening, each training group ("Den") provides a skit or
      song. we do several run ons thruput the process. We do an audience
      participation, then do "Announcments", a rank advancement and a
      Cubmaster minute. We wrap up the Pack meeting with handing out the
      trained cards & strips, then get everyone to help put away chairs,
      etc. ("After the meeting"). This way we provide the brand new
      leaders with some vague idea of what a Pack meeting looks like. NO -
      it is NOT in the syllabus. YES - it works very well.

      I will opine, though, that for returning leaders (upgrades), it is
      quite possibly a rehash of the same old stuff - as is the actual
      class we conduct. Same three videos with only mildly different
      breakouts. It'd be nice if there were upgrade provisions in the
      training so as to make upgrading (and keeping current) less painful.
      When you come in as a new Tiger leader, it's a lot of stuff to
      absorb. After reruns for Den Leader, Webelos leader and either
      Cubmaster or Committee, it starts to dull down by the 3rd of 4th
      pass.

      Gerry Moon
      Orlando, FL