Re: [Scouter_T] nationally authorized syllabi only

  • Frank Maynard
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2007
      Sandra,

      Sounds like what you are doing with PADLE is exactly what's needed in the
      Cub Leader Specific position breakouts. They are meant to be unscripted
      exchanges of practical information anyway, once you get past the segments
      in the syllabus. The feedback we get from our students indicates that
      what you are doing is what they are asking for - more practical help on
      how to run a meeting to supplement the general info on policies,
      uniforming, planning, and the whole NLE that they sit through for 2 hours
      and not get much practical help from. In our courses we stick to the
      syllabus (probably more rigidly than most) but still throw in as much
      helpful stuff as we can cram in. I'd be interested to see more about
      your PADLE program.

      Frank Maynard, NF8M
      CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
      Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council
    • Gerry Moon
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2007
        While we cover the whole syllabus we do inject some district- and
        council-specific info in the right places - for example, in NLE, we
        add in the key 3 contact info, the Roundtable location and date, the
        Council camp info, etc. in the Get Help session, and in the safety
        session we spend a little more time talking safety - it's
        appropriate. We may spend an extra 1 or 2 minutes discussing Youth
        Protection when the group sees a potential child molester at the
        picnic.

        After Cub Scout Position Specifics, we conduct a mock Pack Meeting -
        we have a opening, each training group ("Den") provides a skit or
        song. we do several run ons thruput the process. We do an audience
        participation, then do "Announcments", a rank advancement and a
        Cubmaster minute. We wrap up the Pack meeting with handing out the
        trained cards & strips, then get everyone to help put away chairs,
        etc. ("After the meeting"). This way we provide the brand new
        leaders with some vague idea of what a Pack meeting looks like. NO -
        it is NOT in the syllabus. YES - it works very well.

        I will opine, though, that for returning leaders (upgrades), it is
        quite possibly a rehash of the same old stuff - as is the actual
        class we conduct. Same three videos with only mildly different
        breakouts. It'd be nice if there were upgrade provisions in the
        training so as to make upgrading (and keeping current) less painful.
        When you come in as a new Tiger leader, it's a lot of stuff to
        absorb. After reruns for Den Leader, Webelos leader and either
        Cubmaster or Committee, it starts to dull down by the 3rd of 4th
        pass.

        Gerry Moon
        Orlando, FL