Woodbadge Refresher

  • randywoo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 6, 2001
      A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the Istrouma
      Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.

      This is for those leaders (Cub Scout or Boy Scout) that have been
      through Woodbadge. It will cover the five themes upon whcih the new
      course is centered: Bringing the Vision to Life, Models for Success,
      Tools of the Trade, Leading to Make A Difference, and Living the
      Values. Participants will be asked to write a simple ticket so they
      can practice using the new skills.

      My understanding is that it has been approved by National. However,
      it will not be an ongoing course since Councils will only need to
      hold it a few times.

      Randy Worcester
    • Michael Brown
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2001
        --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
        > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the Istrouma
        > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
        >
        > This is for those leaders (Cub Scout or Boy Scout) that have been
        > through Woodbadge. It will cover the five themes upon whcih the new
        > course is centered: Bringing the Vision to Life, Models for Success,
        > Tools of the Trade, Leading to Make A Difference, and Living the
        > Values. Participants will be asked to write a simple ticket so they
        > can practice using the new skills.
        >
        > My understanding is that it has been approved by National. However,
        > it will not be an ongoing course since Councils will only need to
        > hold it a few times.

        Interesting.

        I had asked our Wood Badge course director a couple of weekends ago if
        such a course existed and when would we see it. He stated that such a
        course did not exist because the new WB was different from the old WB
        only in delivery method, not content. Guess he was incorrect.

        Michael Brown
        Venturing Crew #1838
        Southwest Florida Council

        BSWB SE-478-29
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 16 , May 7, 2001
          It certainly will be different for Cub Scouters who were used to a
          super-trainer type course.

          Dave

          Michael Brown wrote:

          > --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
          > > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the Istrouma
          > > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
          > >
          > > This is for those leaders (Cub Scout or Boy Scout) that have been
          > > through Woodbadge.
          > >
          > Interesting.
          >
          > I had asked our Wood Badge course director a couple of weekends ago if
          > such a course existed and when would we see it. He stated that such a
          > course did not exist because the new WB was different from the old WB
          > only in delivery method, not content. Guess he was incorrect.
          >
          > Michael Brown
          > Venturing Crew #1838
          > Southwest Florida Council

          To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
          the mailto: address below

          Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
          164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
          Greenland, NH 03840
          Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
          possit materiari?
        • Cpaitlres
          Message 4 of 16 , May 7, 2001
            Randy,

            Orange County Council (California) is planning on running the same course in
            Southern California. I got your schedule from Steve Elwart and Mike Dunn. It
            was such a great idea I had to imitate it. Great going Mike and Steve!

            Rick Kagawa

            P.S. I did get approval from Western region and my Council.

            Message 5 of 16 , May 8, 2001
              Cub Scout woodbadge trainers will get the new course. The method in Cub
              Scout Trainer Woodbadge to create leadership was to use training to make
              trainers to take leadership roles. The new course is a leadership course.
              Leadership is the same if it is Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity or Venturing.
              The new course is great.

              Rick Kagawa

              Message 6 of 16 , May 9, 2001
                Acording to the folks in Dallas(Walnut Hill), ANY Scouting Leader may
                take the new Wood Badge course, once s/he has completed the training for
                her/his specific position.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 16 , May 9, 2001
                  You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the new
                  Woodbadge course.

                  The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already received their
                  beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are many people
                  that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many people want
                  to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the former
                  course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know if
                  reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the course. This
                  refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited about
                  the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                  Cpaitlres wrote:

                  > Cub Scout woodbadge trainers will get the new course. The method in Cub
                  > Scout Trainer Woodbadge to create leadership was to use training to make
                  > trainers to take leadership roles. The new course is a leadership course.
                  > Leadership is the same if it is Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity or
                  Venturing.
                  > The new course is great.
                  >
                  > Rick Kagawa

                • Jim Hawkins
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 9, 2001
                    I just finished an excellent Wood Badge course in the Middle
                    Tennessee Council. It followed the old syllabus. However, as good as
                    that course was, I find myself identifying with "Cpaitlres":

                    "There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in
                    course content. Many people want to see what the changes are all
                    about." <snip

                    It will be a long time before I could possibly take a Wood Badge
                    refresher course. I still have my ticket to work. There is part of me
                    that is glad I experienced the "old way". However, part of me knows
                    that way is the past. I will never be asked to be on the staff for
                    that type of Wood Badge simply because it no longer exists. I learned
                    a lot of valuable information and had many wonderful experiences. But
                    I am clueless about the new Wood Badge. So part of me wishes they had
                    followed the new syllabus.

                    Jim Hawkins
                    Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                    CC Pack 18
                    SA Troop 18
                    Shawnee Trails Council, BSA

                  • jmstall@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                      Many thanks to Rick for pointing out a big driver for our refresher
                      course - to introduce "old" Wood Badgers to the new course and reduce
                      their resistance and fear of change so that they can help us all move
                      forward. I believe that those who take the refresher will come away
                      excited. That will help the Wood Badge tradition continue.

                      We should all remember that Wood Badge was not always a leadership
                      skills course and there have been other changes in the program more
                      radical (IMHO) than the one we are currently facing. My father was a
                      staffer when the 11 leaderhsip skills design was first introduced.
                      He tells stories about folks' predictions of great harm to Scouting
                      coupled with reluctance to accept the changes. That is very similar
                      to what we see happening today. Scouting has survived and flourished
                      for over 90 years in spite of changes and challenges. Wood Badge
                      will also survive and will continue to help us better serve the youth
                      in Scouting.

                      Jim, you would be eligible to take the Istrouma Council refresher
                      course. The notice on the Istrouma Council Web page reads in part as
                      follows: "The Istrouma Area Council will host an update course on the
                      new 21st Century Wood Badge this coming September for those who have
                      already earned their beads or are now working on a ticket." The
                      notice can be found at
                      http://www.iac-bsa.org/woodbadge_refresher.htm

                      I think that both the refresher and the course are going to be
                      great. Much credit goes to the many dedicated Scouters who worked so
                      hard to develop the new course. Thanks also to Steve Elwart and Mike
                      Dunne for coming up with the refresher and making it happen.

                      YiS,
                      Jak Stallings
                      Istrouma Area Council
                      --- In scouter_t@y..., "Jim Hawkins" <brazil_nut54@y...> wrote:
                      > I just finished an excellent Wood Badge course in the Middle
                      > Tennessee Council. It followed the old syllabus. However, as good
                      as
                      > that course was, I find myself identifying with "Cpaitlres":
                      >
                      > "There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in
                      > course content. Many people want to see what the changes are all
                      > about." <snip
                      >
                      > It will be a long time before I could possibly take a Wood Badge
                      > refresher course. I still have my ticket to work. There is part of
                      me
                      > that is glad I experienced the "old way". However, part of me knows
                      > that way is the past. I will never be asked to be on the staff for
                      > that type of Wood Badge simply because it no longer exists. I
                      learned
                      > a lot of valuable information and had many wonderful experiences.
                      But
                      > I am clueless about the new Wood Badge. So part of me wishes they
                      had
                      > followed the new syllabus.
                      >
                      > Jim Hawkins
                      > Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                      > CC Pack 18
                      > SA Troop 18
                      > Shawnee Trails Council, BSA
                    • Michael Brown
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                        --- In scouter_t@y..., "Cpaitlres" <rkagawa@c...> wrote:
                        > You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the
                        new
                        > Woodbadge course.

                        Correct. The new WB course is open to Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
                        Scout, and Venturing leaders. As I think most are aware, the prior 3
                        versions of WB were aimed at Cub Scout Trainers, Boy Scout Leaders,
                        and Varsity Scout Leaders, respectively. They decided to merge these
                        into one WB, rather then create WB courses aimed at Cub Scouters &
                        Venturing leaders.

                        > The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already
                        received their
                        > beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are
                        many people
                        > that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many
                        people want
                        > to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the
                        former
                        > course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know
                        if
                        > reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the
                        course. This
                        > refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited
                        about
                        > the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                        Actually, as I understand it, those who have taken the prior WB
                        courses are NOT allowed to retake the new WB course. So for them,
                        this refresher course is the ONLY way to get the added information
                        available in the new course.

                        Michael Brown
                        Venturing Crew #1838
                        SWFL Council
                        BSLWB SE-478-29
                      • Sean Scott
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                          FYI, got my copies of the new training syllabi (all of them!) earlier this
                          week and spent the last couple of nights sifting through the box and reading
                          through them.

                          My thoughts so far: Very cool!

                          Much more professionally put together and complete than the old Cub leader
                          training handbook. The new syllabus looks like it will be easier to
                          implement over two evenings as well, with a more natural break. I'm looking
                          forward to putting one of these into action!

                          My only comment is that it seems less receptive to including a theme than
                          the old version. We did a little more than just throw in some theme related
                          skits and run-ons through the day. Our opening and some of the sessions were
                          delivered with the theme in mind. (This year it's "Cub Scout Magic") The new
                          training has a more prescribed opening, and at least on a first read,
                          doesn't appear as flexible. Any thoughts?
                          --
                          Sean Scott
                          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

                          WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                        • Jim Hawkins
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                            It's not the program that will not let me take the refresher course
                            right now. It's my wife :-))

                            Thanks for the information.

                            YIS

                            Jim Hawkins
                            Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                            CC Pack 18
                            SA Troop 18
                            Shawnee Trails Council, BSA

                            --- In scouter_t@y..., jmstall@y... wrote:
                            .
                            .
                            .

                            > Jim, you would be eligible to take the Istrouma Council refresher
                            > course. The notice on the Istrouma Council Web page reads in part
                            as
                            > follows: "The Istrouma Area Council will host an update course on
                            the
                            > new 21st Century Wood Badge this coming September for those who
                            have
                            > already earned their beads or are now working on a ticket." The
                            > notice can be found at
                            > http://www.iac-bsa.org/woodbadge_refresher.htm
                          • Rick Rambo
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 10, 2001
                              The word we have gotten from our council TC is that previously WB'ers will
                              be allowed to attend the new course - but only if there are not 'new' people
                              who are kept waiting.

                              **********
                              America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
                              **********
                              Rick Rambo
                              e-mail: rickram.geo@...

                              FAX: (561) 673-0437
                              http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
                              http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
                              AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

                              > You are absolutely correct. Any trained Scout leader can attend the
                              new
                              > Woodbadge course.

                              Correct. The new WB course is open to Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity
                              Scout, and Venturing leaders. As I think most are aware, the prior 3
                              versions of WB were aimed at Cub Scout Trainers, Boy Scout Leaders,
                              and Varsity Scout Leaders, respectively. They decided to merge these
                              into one WB, rather then create WB courses aimed at Cub Scouters &
                              Venturing leaders.

                              > The Woodbadge refresher course is for those who have already
                              received their
                              > beads and want to find about the new Woodbadge course. There are
                              many people
                              > that are disenfranchised by the change in course content. Many
                              people want
                              > to see what the changes are all about. I would like to bring the
                              former
                              > course directors, staff and participants up to speed. I don't know
                              if
                              > reattending the new Woodbadge would be helpful to them or the
                              course. This
                              > refresher course will help get attendees of the old syllabus excited
                              about
                              > the changes and increase attendance for future courses.

                              Actually, as I understand it, those who have taken the prior WB
                              courses are NOT allowed to retake the new WB course. So for them,
                              this refresher course is the ONLY way to get the added information
                              available in the new course.

                              Michael Brown
                              Venturing Crew #1838
                              SWFL Council
                              BSLWB SE-478-29

                            • Chris Summers
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 11, 2001
                                >There are many people that are disenfranchised by the change in course
                                content. Many people want to see what the changes are all about.<

                                This is not the first time I've heard this. When I did my BS WB course which
                                was a 3 weekend course several old timers told me that it just wasn't the
                                same as a week long WB. Well, I went on to do CS WB and it was a week long
                                course and it was a little different but I can't say it was better or more
                                meaningful.

                                And I've heard recently at some District and Council level meetings that
                                "It's just not the same" and heard it referred to as a "kindler gentler
                                Wood Badge".

                                I like to think that Wood Badge is what you make it not the other way
                                around. It's your ticket, not someone elses.

                                YOF
                                Chris in Houston

                              • Maddalena, Frank
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 11, 2001
                                  Trust me Jim we have all been there with our respective spouses!!

                                  Y.I.S.
                                  Frank Maddalena

                                • doublelope@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 4, 2001
                                    --- In scouter_t@y..., randywoo@a... wrote:
                                    > A Woodbadge refresher has been scheduled for testing in the
                                    Istrouma
                                    > Council (Baton Rouge) for the weekend of September 28th.
                                    >
                                    > My understanding is that it has been approved by National.
                                    However,
                                    > it will not be an ongoing course since Councils will only need to
                                    > hold it a few times.

                                    Randy: When we unveiled the new training last week, the new Wood
                                    Badge course came up. Someone asked if there was going to be an
                                    update course done. He's an old Wood Badger who went through the
                                    course way back when, before the one we just discontinued existed. I
                                    mentioned that I had seen something in this group, and that I would
                                    see what I could find out. Anyway, how would we get our hands on
                                    this refresher course. We'd like to offer it here.
                                    Thanks for your help.

                                    Linda Goff
                                    Great Smoky Mountain Council Cub Training Chair
                                    I use to be an Antelope (SE-CS-15 & SE-497)