RE: [Scouter_T] Troop Leader Training

  • Warren Kraft
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
      the cards are $3.99 at the Scout Shop
      http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=products&c2=BOOKS_LIT&C3=LDRS_TRAINING&C4=&LV=3&item=30521

      Troop 10 [Leawood / Overland Park, Kansas] offers its own version
      http://bsatroop10.org/POR.htm#1
      and some intereste Leadership Resource Tools
      http://bsatroop10.org/Tools.htm

      A peak on the Youth Leader Training Contiuum from Troop 26 [Foresthill CA]
      http://www.troop26foresthill.org/index.aspx?page=training
      Sagamore Copuncil has the same page up on its Pine Tree NYLT page
      http://www.pinetreenylt.com/Form_Folder/Youth%20Leadership%20Continuum.pdf

      Yours In Scouting,
      wpkraft, Chaplain
      Twin Lakes District, Bay-Lakes Council
      Troop 615, Oshkosh
      http://www.troop615.0catch.com
      Bobwhite, C-09-02

      I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.
      I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

      Abraham Lincoln

    • Michael Dotson
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
        The TLT course material is quite thin. I am looking for something more substantial to offer to Scoutmasters to help them with providing TLT themselves.

      • Mike B.
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
          Michael,

          I just completed Wood Badge, and one of my Ticket Goals is to find a way to make the TLT session more interested (FUN). As a Scoutmaster, I found that using syllabus as-is and using the Powerpoint presentation from Scouting.org was like a too-long classroom session for the Scouts. My ticket is to SUPPLEMENT the official TLT syllabus and introduce some team-building games, and any other games which I can find to reinforce the training content. I expect that this will make the session go the full day, but I would rather spend a day having fun with the Scouts than save a few hours.

          Another change is that I plan on taking it outdoors, since I am blessed with reasonably dry weather year-round and a multitude of parks and wilderness areas nearby. I did this for the last session (due to a schedule conflict at the Troop's regular meeting place). I used a flipchart (with the powerpoint slides reformatted and printed at a 11"x17" size) rather than my projector and laptop. It was still dry, but the SPL was able to "revive" the Scouts at the break-times with games.

          Specifically, I am looking to steal some ideas from a PDF of the old Scoutmasters JLT Kit. Section II is on "Building the Team", and has some games and outdoor activities which I plan to borrow. I dowloaded this from the Baltimore-Arrowhead Training site; check posting #9057 on this YahooGroup for details as to how to download this and other resources.

          I hope that this helps. Best of luck on your project; my experience and observations are that TLT is a opportunity to rapidly bring together a cohesive PLC that most Scoutmasters do not utilize.

          Michael Brown
          Scoutmaster, Troop 84
          San Ramon, CA

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dotson <michaeldotson@...> wrote:

          > The TLT course material is quite thin. I am looking for something more substantial to offer to Scoutmasters to help them with providing TLT themselves.
          >
          > ______________
          > Michael Dotson
          > Golden Gate District Training Chair
          > San Francisco Bay Area Council

        • Brian Duane
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
            Hi Michael,

            When I first looked at TLT last year, I too found it to be a bit thin. So I
            looked to the older JLT information for ideas on how to supplement the
            information in TLT. I drew information from the section on team building
            games and exercises.

            We held the TLT sessions outside and when we needed to sit and talk, we
            gathered around the campfire. So we really did not do the powerpoint sort
            of presentation.

            We spent a lot of time just talking about how they wanted to do in
            fulfilling their positions as well as the Scoutmaster's view of what
            fulfilling their positions would entail.

            I think that this year I would like to extend the session by an hour or two
            and include some cooking and eating together to help build the team a bit
            more.

            Just a few thoughts.

            Yours in Scouting,

            Brian J. Duane

            "...I'm going to work my ticket if I can" - Bobwhite NE-1-261

            "Never do for a Scout what he can do for himself."
            Robert Baden-Powell