RE: [Scouter_T] Troop NYLT

  • Steven Powell
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
      Thanks for the offer Doc but I've got all that I need currently (that's the
      beauty of this List, Arrow-L, Scouts-L, Jewish-L, Patch-L and many others).
      When you need something quick you can always count on the Resources at your
      disposal (Using Your Resources).

      Always in Service & Brotherhood,

      Steve

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
        the cards are $3.99 at the Scout Shop
        http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=products&c2=BOOKS_LIT&C3=LDRS_TRAINING&C4=&LV=3&item=30521

        Troop 10 [Leawood / Overland Park, Kansas] offers its own version
        http://bsatroop10.org/POR.htm#1
        and some intereste Leadership Resource Tools
        http://bsatroop10.org/Tools.htm

        A peak on the Youth Leader Training Contiuum from Troop 26 [Foresthill CA]
        http://www.troop26foresthill.org/index.aspx?page=training
        Sagamore Copuncil has the same page up on its Pine Tree NYLT page
        http://www.pinetreenylt.com/Form_Folder/Youth%20Leadership%20Continuum.pdf

        Yours In Scouting,
        wpkraft, Chaplain
        Twin Lakes District, Bay-Lakes Council
        Troop 615, Oshkosh
        http://www.troop615.0catch.com
        Bobwhite, C-09-02

        I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.
        I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

        Abraham Lincoln

      • Michael Dotson
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
          The TLT course material is quite thin. I am looking for something more substantial to offer to Scoutmasters to help them with providing TLT themselves.

        • Mike B.
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
            Michael,

            I just completed Wood Badge, and one of my Ticket Goals is to find a way to make the TLT session more interested (FUN). As a Scoutmaster, I found that using syllabus as-is and using the Powerpoint presentation from Scouting.org was like a too-long classroom session for the Scouts. My ticket is to SUPPLEMENT the official TLT syllabus and introduce some team-building games, and any other games which I can find to reinforce the training content. I expect that this will make the session go the full day, but I would rather spend a day having fun with the Scouts than save a few hours.

            Another change is that I plan on taking it outdoors, since I am blessed with reasonably dry weather year-round and a multitude of parks and wilderness areas nearby. I did this for the last session (due to a schedule conflict at the Troop's regular meeting place). I used a flipchart (with the powerpoint slides reformatted and printed at a 11"x17" size) rather than my projector and laptop. It was still dry, but the SPL was able to "revive" the Scouts at the break-times with games.

            Specifically, I am looking to steal some ideas from a PDF of the old Scoutmasters JLT Kit. Section II is on "Building the Team", and has some games and outdoor activities which I plan to borrow. I dowloaded this from the Baltimore-Arrowhead Training site; check posting #9057 on this YahooGroup for details as to how to download this and other resources.

            I hope that this helps. Best of luck on your project; my experience and observations are that TLT is a opportunity to rapidly bring together a cohesive PLC that most Scoutmasters do not utilize.

            Michael Brown
            Scoutmaster, Troop 84
            San Ramon, CA

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dotson <michaeldotson@...> wrote:

            > The TLT course material is quite thin. I am looking for something more substantial to offer to Scoutmasters to help them with providing TLT themselves.
            >
            > ______________
            > Michael Dotson
            > Golden Gate District Training Chair
            > San Francisco Bay Area Council

          • Brian Duane
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
              Hi Michael,

              When I first looked at TLT last year, I too found it to be a bit thin. So I
              looked to the older JLT information for ideas on how to supplement the
              information in TLT. I drew information from the section on team building
              games and exercises.

              We held the TLT sessions outside and when we needed to sit and talk, we
              gathered around the campfire. So we really did not do the powerpoint sort
              of presentation.

              We spent a lot of time just talking about how they wanted to do in
              fulfilling their positions as well as the Scoutmaster's view of what
              fulfilling their positions would entail.

              I think that this year I would like to extend the session by an hour or two
              and include some cooking and eating together to help build the team a bit
              more.

              Just a few thoughts.

              Yours in Scouting,

              Brian J. Duane

              "...I'm going to work my ticket if I can" - Bobwhite NE-1-261

              "Never do for a Scout what he can do for himself."
              Robert Baden-Powell