Re: [Scouter_T] Troop NYLT

  • doc marshall
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
      Steve - Are you talking about the TLT (Troop Leader
      Training)? I have a copy and could burn you one if you
      need it.
      Yours in Scouting and Service,,
      Doc
      --- Steven Powell <collshow@...> wrote:

      > Can someone provide me with the latest troop NYLT
      > syllabus? Ida, where are
      > you? I have the week long council NYLT.just need
      > the troop version.
      > Thanks, Steve

      > removed]

    • Steven Powell
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
        Thank you.Steve

        > Can someone provide me with the latest troop NYLT syllabus?

        The TLT syllabus is available here:

        http://training.cfcbsa.org/

        It should also be at your Scout Shop; the online copy is missing the
        cards for the various PORs.

        Fred Goodwin

      • Steven Powell
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
          Thanks for the offer Doc but I've got all that I need currently (that's the
          beauty of this List, Arrow-L, Scouts-L, Jewish-L, Patch-L and many others).
          When you need something quick you can always count on the Resources at your
          disposal (Using Your Resources).

          Always in Service & Brotherhood,

          Steve

          --- Steven Powell <collshow@... <mailto:collshow%40frii.com> > wrote:

          > Can someone provide me with the latest troop NYLT
          > syllabus? Ida, where are
          > you? I have the week long council NYLT.just need
          > the troop version.
          > Thanks, Steve

          > removed]

        • Warren Kraft
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
            the cards are $3.99 at the Scout Shop
            http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=products&c2=BOOKS_LIT&C3=LDRS_TRAINING&C4=&LV=3&item=30521

            Troop 10 [Leawood / Overland Park, Kansas] offers its own version
            http://bsatroop10.org/POR.htm#1
            and some intereste Leadership Resource Tools
            http://bsatroop10.org/Tools.htm

            A peak on the Youth Leader Training Contiuum from Troop 26 [Foresthill CA]
            http://www.troop26foresthill.org/index.aspx?page=training
            Sagamore Copuncil has the same page up on its Pine Tree NYLT page
            http://www.pinetreenylt.com/Form_Folder/Youth%20Leadership%20Continuum.pdf

            Yours In Scouting,
            wpkraft, Chaplain
            Twin Lakes District, Bay-Lakes Council
            Troop 615, Oshkosh
            http://www.troop615.0catch.com
            Bobwhite, C-09-02

            I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.
            I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

            Abraham Lincoln

          • Michael Dotson
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
              The TLT course material is quite thin. I am looking for something more substantial to offer to Scoutmasters to help them with providing TLT themselves.

            • Mike B.
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
                Michael,

                I just completed Wood Badge, and one of my Ticket Goals is to find a way to make the TLT session more interested (FUN). As a Scoutmaster, I found that using syllabus as-is and using the Powerpoint presentation from Scouting.org was like a too-long classroom session for the Scouts. My ticket is to SUPPLEMENT the official TLT syllabus and introduce some team-building games, and any other games which I can find to reinforce the training content. I expect that this will make the session go the full day, but I would rather spend a day having fun with the Scouts than save a few hours.

                Another change is that I plan on taking it outdoors, since I am blessed with reasonably dry weather year-round and a multitude of parks and wilderness areas nearby. I did this for the last session (due to a schedule conflict at the Troop's regular meeting place). I used a flipchart (with the powerpoint slides reformatted and printed at a 11"x17" size) rather than my projector and laptop. It was still dry, but the SPL was able to "revive" the Scouts at the break-times with games.

                Specifically, I am looking to steal some ideas from a PDF of the old Scoutmasters JLT Kit. Section II is on "Building the Team", and has some games and outdoor activities which I plan to borrow. I dowloaded this from the Baltimore-Arrowhead Training site; check posting #9057 on this YahooGroup for details as to how to download this and other resources.

                I hope that this helps. Best of luck on your project; my experience and observations are that TLT is a opportunity to rapidly bring together a cohesive PLC that most Scoutmasters do not utilize.

                Michael Brown
                Scoutmaster, Troop 84
                San Ramon, CA

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dotson <michaeldotson@...> wrote:

                > The TLT course material is quite thin. I am looking for something more substantial to offer to Scoutmasters to help them with providing TLT themselves.
                >
                > ______________
                > Michael Dotson
                > Golden Gate District Training Chair
                > San Francisco Bay Area Council

              • Brian Duane
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
                  Hi Michael,

                  When I first looked at TLT last year, I too found it to be a bit thin. So I
                  looked to the older JLT information for ideas on how to supplement the
                  information in TLT. I drew information from the section on team building
                  games and exercises.

                  We held the TLT sessions outside and when we needed to sit and talk, we
                  gathered around the campfire. So we really did not do the powerpoint sort
                  of presentation.

                  We spent a lot of time just talking about how they wanted to do in
                  fulfilling their positions as well as the Scoutmaster's view of what
                  fulfilling their positions would entail.

                  I think that this year I would like to extend the session by an hour or two
                  and include some cooking and eating together to help build the team a bit
                  more.

                  Just a few thoughts.

                  Yours in Scouting,

                  Brian J. Duane

                  "...I'm going to work my ticket if I can" - Bobwhite NE-1-261

                  "Never do for a Scout what he can do for himself."
                  Robert Baden-Powell