Troop NYLT

  • Steven Powell
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
      Can someone provide me with the latest troop NYLT syllabus? Ida, where are
      you? I have the week long council NYLT.just need the troop version.
      Thanks, Steve

    • scott robertson
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
        NYLT is the council course ... the Troop level course has a different
        name ...

        * TLT—Troop Leadership Training (conducted at the troop level)
        * NYLT—National Youth Leadership Training (conducted at the council level)
        * NAYLE—National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (conducted at the
        national level)

        http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/supplemental/18-632/index.html

        Hope my wacky 2 cents was of help....

        Scott Robertson
        http://insanescouter.org

        Steven Powell wrote:

        > Can someone provide me with the latest troop NYLT syllabus? Ida, where are
        > you? I have the week long council NYLT.just need the troop version.
        > Thanks, Steve

      • Fred Goodwin, CMA
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
          > Posted by: "Steven Powell" collshow@...
          > Date: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:54 pm ((PDT))
          >
          > Can someone provide me with the latest troop NYLT syllabus?

          The TLT syllabus is available here:

          http://training.cfcbsa.org/

          It should also be at your Scout Shop; the online copy is missing the
          cards for the various PORs.

          Fred Goodwin
        • doc marshall
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
            Steve - Are you talking about the TLT (Troop Leader
            Training)? I have a copy and could burn you one if you
            need it.
            Yours in Scouting and Service,,
            Doc
            --- Steven Powell <collshow@...> wrote:

            > Can someone provide me with the latest troop NYLT
            > syllabus? Ida, where are
            > you? I have the week long council NYLT.just need
            > the troop version.
            > Thanks, Steve

            > removed]

          • Steven Powell
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
              Thanks for the insight...Steve

              Steven Powell wrote:

              > Can someone provide me with the latest troop NYLT syllabus? Ida, where are
              > you? I have the week long council NYLT.just need the troop version.
              > Thanks, Steve

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Steven Powell
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
                Thank you.Steve

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
                  Thanks for the offer Doc but I've got all that I need currently (that's the
                  beauty of this List, Arrow-L, Scouts-L, Jewish-L, Patch-L and many others).
                  When you need something quick you can always count on the Resources at your
                  disposal (Using Your Resources).

                  Always in Service & Brotherhood,

                  Steve

                  --- Steven Powell <collshow@... <mailto:collshow%40frii.com> > wrote:

                  > Can someone provide me with the latest troop NYLT
                  > syllabus? Ida, where are
                  > you? I have the week long council NYLT.just need
                  > the troop version.
                  > Thanks, Steve

                  > removed]

                • Warren Kraft
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
                    the cards are $3.99 at the Scout Shop
                    http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=products&c2=BOOKS_LIT&C3=LDRS_TRAINING&C4=&LV=3&item=30521

                    Troop 10 [Leawood / Overland Park, Kansas] offers its own version
                    http://bsatroop10.org/POR.htm#1
                    and some intereste Leadership Resource Tools
                    http://bsatroop10.org/Tools.htm

                    A peak on the Youth Leader Training Contiuum from Troop 26 [Foresthill CA]
                    http://www.troop26foresthill.org/index.aspx?page=training
                    Sagamore Copuncil has the same page up on its Pine Tree NYLT page
                    http://www.pinetreenylt.com/Form_Folder/Youth%20Leadership%20Continuum.pdf

                    Yours In Scouting,
                    wpkraft, Chaplain
                    Twin Lakes District, Bay-Lakes Council
                    Troop 615, Oshkosh
                    http://www.troop615.0catch.com
                    Bobwhite, C-09-02

                    I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.
                    I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

                    Abraham Lincoln

                  • Michael Dotson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                      The TLT course material is quite thin. I am looking for something more substantial to offer to Scoutmasters to help them with providing TLT themselves.

                    • Mike B.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
                        Michael,

                        I just completed Wood Badge, and one of my Ticket Goals is to find a way to make the TLT session more interested (FUN). As a Scoutmaster, I found that using syllabus as-is and using the Powerpoint presentation from Scouting.org was like a too-long classroom session for the Scouts. My ticket is to SUPPLEMENT the official TLT syllabus and introduce some team-building games, and any other games which I can find to reinforce the training content. I expect that this will make the session go the full day, but I would rather spend a day having fun with the Scouts than save a few hours.

                        Another change is that I plan on taking it outdoors, since I am blessed with reasonably dry weather year-round and a multitude of parks and wilderness areas nearby. I did this for the last session (due to a schedule conflict at the Troop's regular meeting place). I used a flipchart (with the powerpoint slides reformatted and printed at a 11"x17" size) rather than my projector and laptop. It was still dry, but the SPL was able to "revive" the Scouts at the break-times with games.

                        Specifically, I am looking to steal some ideas from a PDF of the old Scoutmasters JLT Kit. Section II is on "Building the Team", and has some games and outdoor activities which I plan to borrow. I dowloaded this from the Baltimore-Arrowhead Training site; check posting #9057 on this YahooGroup for details as to how to download this and other resources.

                        I hope that this helps. Best of luck on your project; my experience and observations are that TLT is a opportunity to rapidly bring together a cohesive PLC that most Scoutmasters do not utilize.

                        Michael Brown
                        Scoutmaster, Troop 84
                        San Ramon, CA

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dotson <michaeldotson@...> wrote:

                        > The TLT course material is quite thin. I am looking for something more substantial to offer to Scoutmasters to help them with providing TLT themselves.
                        >
                        > ______________
                        > Michael Dotson
                        > Golden Gate District Training Chair
                        > San Francisco Bay Area Council

                      • Brian Duane
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
                          Hi Michael,

                          When I first looked at TLT last year, I too found it to be a bit thin. So I
                          looked to the older JLT information for ideas on how to supplement the
                          information in TLT. I drew information from the section on team building
                          games and exercises.

                          We held the TLT sessions outside and when we needed to sit and talk, we
                          gathered around the campfire. So we really did not do the powerpoint sort
                          of presentation.

                          We spent a lot of time just talking about how they wanted to do in
                          fulfilling their positions as well as the Scoutmaster's view of what
                          fulfilling their positions would entail.

                          I think that this year I would like to extend the session by an hour or two
                          and include some cooking and eating together to help build the team a bit
                          more.

                          Just a few thoughts.

                          Yours in Scouting,

                          Brian J. Duane

                          "...I'm going to work my ticket if I can" - Bobwhite NE-1-261

                          "Never do for a Scout what he can do for himself."
                          Robert Baden-Powell