A Scout is Punctual

  • Warren Kraft
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 11, 2007
      I copied a note from our colleagues at Gamehaven Council (Rochester MN area) which runs an annual planning conference program in December. In the registration materials, it clearly states that the training will begin promptly at 9AM because of the staff's promise to end the program promptly at 12:30PM The form talks about courtesy and respect to others and clearly advises participants to leave 15 minutes early, etc. I was in Minneapolis overnight and rose early enough to drive through road construction, to locate the site, to do my things, and to meet/greet my mentors in plenty of time to avoid interfering with their registration process.

      I don't have it with me right now. when we ran the training program in our district a few years ago and used that admonition, one of the recurring feedback themes was thanks for starting/staying/ending on time. Some people had to travel 60 minutes to reach our training site. Somehow, a scout is Courteous doesn't convey the same message as "punctual"

      Might be worth a try folks. By the way, coming from a high school drama coach who believed in running our shows just like Broadway, I discovered a pet peeve in local theater--delaying curtain time five minutes to let the latecomers find their seats. But at church, we start on time or the parishioners raise holy xxxx with the pastor.

      salute'

      Yours In Scouting,
      wpkraft, Chaplain
      Twin Lakes District, Bay-Lakes Council
      Troop 615, Oshkosh
      http://www.troop615.0catch.com
      Bobwhite, C-09-02

      I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.
      I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

      Abraham Lincoln

    • Frank Maynard
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 13, 2007
        On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Gerry Moon wrote:

        > I've seen the same thing - last minute shows that push start times
        > back.

        A couple years ago I'd routinely wait until 9:05 before starting, but for
        the last year we have gotten going right on time. Even if there is only
        one person in the room. It's only fair to those who were thoughtful
        enough to arrive on time.

        > I have long thought that an ideal 13th point to the Scout Law should
        > be "A Scout is Punctual"

        As others stated, it falls under #5. #13 is Hungry.

        Frank Maynard, NF8M
        CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
        Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council