Re: New Cub Basic Training Program

  • Fred Goodwin, CMA
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 7, 2007
      > Posted by: "nuts4scouts" nuts4scouts@...
      > Date: Thu Sep 6, 2007 6:57 pm ((PDT))
      >
      > They said on the Cubcast that the whole point is to answer the
      > question that newly "trained" leaders often ask - what do I do
      > now?

      As a Cub trainer, I hear that question a lot. Everytime I hear it, I
      ask the trainee if they've watched the Fast Start video (or DVD) for
      their position.

      Invariably, the answer is "No" or "What's that?" or "I meant to but I
      haven't had time", etc. ad nauseam . . .

      Fast Start tells DLs exactly what to do to run a den meeting. The
      in-person training is meant to expand on that, not to re-teach it.

      Certainly it was never the point of NLE to be a "how-to" course. NLE
      introduces Scouting to new leaders who may have never been involved
      with Scouting before and so know next to nothing about it. It hits the
      hi-lites with emphasis on child development ("ages and stages") as well
      as some key policies (YP, no one-on-one, etc.).

      If I could change anything about the current syllabus as a result of
      this continuing criticism, it would be to assume that no one has seen
      the Fast Start training, and simply begin each position-specific
      break-out with the Fast Start for that position.

      If anyone then leaves the expanded course not knowing what to do next,
      then they haven't been paying attention!

      Fred Goodwin
      former district training chairman
    • Frank Maynard
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 13, 2007
        On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Gerry Moon wrote:

        > I've seen the same thing - last minute shows that push start times
        > back.

        A couple years ago I'd routinely wait until 9:05 before starting, but for
        the last year we have gotten going right on time. Even if there is only
        one person in the room. It's only fair to those who were thoughtful
        enough to arrive on time.

        > I have long thought that an ideal 13th point to the Scout Law should
        > be "A Scout is Punctual"

        As others stated, it falls under #5. #13 is Hungry.

        Frank Maynard, NF8M
        CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
        Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council