Re: New Cub Basic Training Program

  • nuts4scouts
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 6, 2007
      According to what is on the Oct Cubcast on the National web site and
      what I have been hearing, in the new Cub Scout Training Modules, NLE
      will be coming last in the order.

      First will be Fast Start, then the Focus on the specific position,
      then Youth Protection, then NLE. They also said somthing about a
      module on the history of Cub Scouting and a module on Cub Scout
      Programing.

      They said on the Cubcast that the whole point is to answer the
      question that newly "trained" leaders often ask - what do I do now?

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Frank Maynard <scouter@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Kathy Bourassa wrote:
      >
      > > Time and time again, it has been brought to my attention that NLE
      does
      > > not tell you how to deal with those 8 cub scouts who are swinging
      off
      > > your ceiling fan,
      >
      > The two things that we keep seeing on evaluation forms are low
      marks on
      > the "I feel I can handle discipline in my den and pack" question
      along
      > with written comments about how NLE is too broad and big-picture,
      and they
      > want more specific info and examples. While we can address the
      discipline
      > and hands-on help, we really can't do away with the big-picture
      aspect
      > with the current NLE syllabus.
      >
      > > Some have suggested that NLE should be a course leaders take after
      > > they take their specific-
      >
      > The true "essentials" need to be integrated into what they learn on
      day
      > one. The rest can easily be taught as a one-hour University of
      Scouting
      > class or put online.
      >
      > --
      > Yours in Scouting,
      > Frank Maynard, NF8M
      > CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
      > Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council
      > Trustee, WB8BSA ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)

    • Frank Maynard
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 13, 2007
        On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Gerry Moon wrote:

        > I've seen the same thing - last minute shows that push start times
        > back.

        A couple years ago I'd routinely wait until 9:05 before starting, but for
        the last year we have gotten going right on time. Even if there is only
        one person in the room. It's only fair to those who were thoughtful
        enough to arrive on time.

        > I have long thought that an ideal 13th point to the Scout Law should
        > be "A Scout is Punctual"

        As others stated, it falls under #5. #13 is Hungry.