Re: [Scouter_T] Re: New Cub Basic Training Program

  • Frank Maynard
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 6, 2007
      On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Kathy Bourassa wrote:

      > Time and time again, it has been brought to my attention that NLE does
      > not tell you how to deal with those 8 cub scouts who are swinging off
      > your ceiling fan,

      The two things that we keep seeing on evaluation forms are low marks on
      the "I feel I can handle discipline in my den and pack" question along
      with written comments about how NLE is too broad and big-picture, and they
      want more specific info and examples. While we can address the discipline
      and hands-on help, we really can't do away with the big-picture aspect
      with the current NLE syllabus.

      > Some have suggested that NLE should be a course leaders take after
      > they take their specific-

      The true "essentials" need to be integrated into what they learn on day
      one. The rest can easily be taught as a one-hour University of Scouting
      class or put online.

      Frank Maynard, NF8M
      CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
      Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council
    • Frank Maynard
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 13, 2007
        On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Gerry Moon wrote:

        > I've seen the same thing - last minute shows that push start times
        > back.

        A couple years ago I'd routinely wait until 9:05 before starting, but for
        the last year we have gotten going right on time. Even if there is only
        one person in the room. It's only fair to those who were thoughtful
        enough to arrive on time.

        > I have long thought that an ideal 13th point to the Scout Law should
        > be "A Scout is Punctual"

        As others stated, it falls under #5. #13 is Hungry.