Re: [Scouter_T] Re: New Cub Basic Training Program

  • Frank Maynard
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 5, 2007
      On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Brant Lippincott wrote:

      > What I'd like to see is the elimination of watching the same videos
      > for 5 different classes.

      What we do for Cub LST is run the first part, up through Outdoor Program,
      jointly, including the videos. We mainly use the Den Leader section but we
      are sure to cover the parts of the other 4 that aren't in Den Leader.
      For instance, I've taken the slides and intermixed them (e.g. the slides
      for Leadership Skills for Den Leaders, Webelos Leaders and Cubmasters are
      presented together in sequence) so that everything is covered. Then, by
      that time on a Saturday it's lunchtime, so we break for about 15 minutes
      to get food (we provide lunch) and go to the 5 breakouts. This way we can
      do a 90 minute breakout and everyone seems happy. Re-trainees just come
      for the breakout, and don't have to sit through a repeat of the joint
      part.

      This is all bound to be bent a bit, since now that YPT is required in
      order to be considered Trained, we are going to start including that in
      the day of Cub Basic. As long as NLE stays the same, we're going to have
      to start a half-hour earlier, try to compress things even more (urgh), and
      fit YPT in between NLE and Cub LST.

      > On the idea of NLE as an online course, I think that NLE should be
      > more than just reading the slides - on the part of the participant.

      I agree, for the same reason that I feel everyone should take YPT in a
      live instructor-led session, at least once (they can renew their training
      online, that's fine). NLE, at present, is the first training most leaders
      get, and they are likely to remember more if it's presented by a group of
      experienced trainers in person than if they sit and click through slides
      and answer questions.

      I actually like the concept that is supposed to be on the way, where NLE
      would be an optional module after LST. While it's good to give them an
      overview of the Scouting program, what they really want from training is
      to be able to get up and running and put on a successful
      den/pack/committee meeting. The essential stuff, like Where do I get help?
      and How do I keep Scouts safe? should be rolled into LST, and the rest
      (pack finances, youth grow and develop, aims & methods, etc) can be saved
      for a later time.

      As for the new syllabus, I'm told they are supposed to be sending copies
      out to the councils toward the end of September.

      Frank Maynard, NF8M
      CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
      Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council
    • Frank Maynard
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 13, 2007
        On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Gerry Moon wrote:

        > I've seen the same thing - last minute shows that push start times
        > back.

        A couple years ago I'd routinely wait until 9:05 before starting, but for
        the last year we have gotten going right on time. Even if there is only
        one person in the room. It's only fair to those who were thoughtful
        enough to arrive on time.

        > I have long thought that an ideal 13th point to the Scout Law should
        > be "A Scout is Punctual"

        As others stated, it falls under #5. #13 is Hungry.