Re: Cub Scout Achievements and Arrow Points

  • Margo Mead
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2007
      > This changed, I believe, with the 2003 advancement changes. Prior
      to that,
      > _any_ Bear "Requirement" (one element of an "Achievement") that
      was not
      > counted for earning Bear rank could be counted toward Arrow
      Points. With
      > the 2003 changes, only Requirements from _Achievements_ not counted
      for
      > earning Bear rank could be counted toward Arrow Points.

      I'm not so sure that it *changed* as much as got clarified. Looking
      in an old Bear book, in the section on Arrow Points, it is stated two
      different ways, one seems to say you can use any part of an
      achievement to count as an arrow point, but then later it mentions
      that it should only be from achievements you didn't use toward rank.
      My theory is that BSA realized this was confusing and decided to make
      it more clear.

      > Cub Scout rank advancement is unnecessarily complicated, to an
      almost
      > ridiculous level. Putting such complicated rules onto volunteer
      Den
      > Leaders -- who have plenty of other things to worry about -- is
      dumb.
      > Having such complicated rules FOR THIRD GRADERS (and their parents)
      is
      > bewildering.

      I really don't find them that complicated. In fact now that they can
      only count the parts of unused achievements as arrow points, it might
      even be simpler. You used that achievement for rank? Then you're done
      worrying about anything else in that achievement.

      If they use software to track the boys' progress, it should calculate
      things for them automatically and they shouldn't even have to worry
      about it. A caution, though, if they're using the free TRAX programs
      (which are excel files)--They need to make sure they don't type "E"
      on the extra parts of achievements that are used for rank, or the
      TRAX program will calculate it as an elective.

      If it's really too complicated, then maybe BSA should just decide
      that only electives get arrow point credit, period. Then you won't
      have to worry about whether it was a totally unused achievement or
      unused part of an achievement used toward rank.

      Margo Mead
      Portland, OR