RE: [Scouter_T] Department of De fense—United States Military Out standing Volunteer Service Medal

  • John W. Spahr
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2007
      Requirements for MOVSM are specified in DoD 1348.33-M, September 1996, Chapter 6, Para C6.10, which suggests a sample format in Figure C6.F1. My own experience has been that each service has it's own way of going about awarding this honor AND has different levels of approval authority.

      When I was assigned at Travis AFB, the approval authority was delegated to the Group Commanders (Operations, Support, Medical, and Maintenance -- typically O-6 Colonels). When I was assigned at US Pacific Command (PACOM) approval authority was delegated down the the various directorates (J1, J2, etc. -- generally "flag rank" officers).

      Formats are different yet similar in each location. Typically the folks who assemble "Awards and Dec's" are very knowledgeable about the MOVSM and can assist in documenting the basic, qualifying facts.

      The GREAT thing about award of the MOVSM for Scouters is that a Scouting recipient is eligible to also receive the BSA Community Organization Award (see http://usscouts.org/awards/community_org.html and http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-582.html). An MOVSM recipient need only send proof of award to the BSA National Office, ATTN: Relationships Division, 1325 West Walnut Hill Lane, P. O. Box 152079, Irving, TX 75015-2079, along with $1.50 per knot emblem to receive a distinctive purple and gold patch.

      Good luck and Godspeed,

      JOHN W. SPAHR, Colonel, USAFR
      Deputy Chief, Engineering Div, USNORTHCOM
      Scoutmaster, Troop 200, Lafayette, CA
      Cub Leader Training Chair, Aklan District
      (and some other stuff)
      Mt. Diablo Silverado Council