Re: New Cub Basic Training Program

  • Anna Sturdivant
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 14, 2007
      I attended the Training Management seminar at Philmont at the end of
      June. Our class was told about the upcoming Cub Scout training
      revisions, which will be rolled out at the Top Hands meeting for high
      level executives, which is at the end of August. It will be available
      online right after that. I understand it is broken into modules - two
      introductory moules, then six position-specific, each about 1.5-2.5
      hours. The training path would be: YPT, these new modules, NLE. The
      course developers have focused on providing skills for leader success,
      reducing overlap in training, and presenting the training in a den (or
      pack or committe) meeting format in order to provide hands on resources.

      If you're like me, and your district's calendar is already in place,
      it's a challenge to consider waiting until a couple or three weeks
      before Cub Scout Leader training to get a new syllabus and trainers
      willing to present it. Talk to your trainers and prepare them - it
      would be worse to prepare to the prior syllabus and then decide to
      present the new one. We've decided to give the schedule until
      September 7 to have the new syllabus for our September 22 training, or
      we'll have to fall back to the old one. Hopefully, it won't be a problem.

      I hope this helps!
    • Frank Maynard
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 13, 2007
        On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Gerry Moon wrote:

        > I've seen the same thing - last minute shows that push start times
        > back.

        A couple years ago I'd routinely wait until 9:05 before starting, but for
        the last year we have gotten going right on time. Even if there is only
        one person in the room. It's only fair to those who were thoughtful
        enough to arrive on time.

        > I have long thought that an ideal 13th point to the Scout Law should
        > be "A Scout is Punctual"

        As others stated, it falls under #5. #13 is Hungry.

        Frank Maynard, NF8M
        CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
        Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council