Closing Activities

  • Dee Dee
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 7:26 AM
      As trainers, do you have any favorite ways to close your training
      events? Activities or ceremonies that capture the topic of what you
      were teaching.

      Dee Dee
    • John Unger
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 10:14 AM
        I like the quote by Abraham Lincoln that is included at the end of
        the Venturing Leader Basic.

        In Venturing Leader training, I also have a little speech I like to
        give where I point out that one of methods of Venturing is the _voluntary_
        association of the youth members with the adults. I go one to say that this
        means that the youth voluntarily come to us to learn how to become adults,
        they place on our shoulders the mantle of responsibility to be their friends
        and their mentors, to show by our every word and deed how to behave as
        adults. They are asking us to guide them, and are trusting us to not lead
        them astray.
        We are trainers not just when we are teaching them skills for a
        merit badge or Venturing recognition, but every day in every way.
        We, therefore, have the responsibility to watch ourselves, how we
        act, how we speak, how we react to others. They have come to us in trust,
        they in effect say to us "I want to learn to be like you."
        We dare not fail them. We dare not betray their trust.

        Of course, this is true for Cubs and Boy Scouts, also. The Cubs look
        up to us as a matter of course, and trust us unquestioningly. The Boy Scout
        age youth scrutinize us more, and make the choice to accept or reject the
        Scout Ideals based on what they see in us. The Venturers still scrutinize
        us, but have chosen to accept what we teach.
        Therefore, we have a great burden placed upon us; the responsibility
        to ensure our every word and action does not betray the trust of these young
        people, but instead shows them how to grow up to be respectable adults. We
        need to scrutinize ourselves to see where we fall short, and work to live up
        to our Ideals in every way. We also need to confess honestly when we fail,
        so they can see that we, too, are still learning how to "Run the 12."
        YIS,
        John Unger