Re: [Scouter_T] BALOO schedule

  • Sean Scott
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
      Dianne asked: How many people have people had at their Baloo training? We
      are doing a first shot at it and I think I will be lucky to have 6 this time
      (we have about 25 packs, a bunch are LDS and there is a father son event
      that weekend, and it is Webelos Woods) I was going to do it with the help
      of my son a Life scout. The Round Robin seems like something we will modify
      to more like a rapid fire as we move as a whole group. I plan to set
      everything up ahead.

      Dianne,

      We had 25 at our training last month. We had a staff of ten, which included
      my son and daughter (they set up the un-model campsite). I would really
      suggest that you get at least a handful of people for staff for a couple
      reasons:

      1. Lots of material--you'll be hoarse after a few hours of talking.
      2. No matter how good a presenter you are, people will get tired of you
      after a while.
      3. We brought--no kidding--five truckloads of equipment, props, costumes and
      materials. And there were barbeque pits at the training site. It took the
      ten of us a full two hours to set up the room, the campfire demonstration,
      A/V equipment, our outdoor demonstration areas, etc. Over the course of the
      day, we spent additional time tweaking things. And as one person was doing
      their presentation, we had extra folks to take care of the unexpected--like
      getting food for a vegetarian meal. Tear down took about 90 minutes after
      the participants left. That's a lot of work for you and your son.
      4. There's a campfire demonstration that you'll need at least a few people
      to pull off, if you let staff present it.
      5. Lots of material. Preparing it all on your own will leave you brain-dead!

      I like the idea of using Boy Scouts as session leaders. Call your local
      troops and see if they can provide some boys to run the cooking, safety and
      sanitation, and equipment segments. That will free you up to just handle the
      program specific segments.

      It was a fun class to present, but very intensive to prepare for, even more
      so than Webelos Leader Outdoor training. I have a newfound (or should I say
      increased) respect for my Wood Badge course directors!

      YiS,
      Sean
      --
      Sean Scott
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

      WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2001
        We had 6 sign up and got 4. Actually it's probably easier
        with a small group the first time. Just remember to tell
        your 6 attendees that they will make up the next staff ;-).

        Pete Mullaney
        Bobwhite NE-II-92

        > ----------
        > From: Dianne Marshall
        > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] BALOO schedule
        >
        > > Thanks for sharing the alternative schedule for BALOO.
        >
        > How many people have people had at their Baloo training? We are doing a
        > first shot at it and I think I will be lucky to have 6 this time (we have
        > about 25 packs, a bunch are LDS and there is a father son event that
        > weekend,
        > and it is Webelos Woods) I was going to do it with the help of my son a
        > Life
        > scout. The Round Robin seems like something we will modify to more like a
        > rapid fire as we move as a whole group. I plan to set everything up
        > ahead.
        >
        > Any suggestions.
        >
        > Dianne Marshall
        > I used to be a Bobwhite
        > W1-610-00

      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2001
          Sean has excellent points, when I first replied I didn't
          get that Dianne was planning on running the event with a staff of
          two. No offense, but I don't think you could pull it off with
          just two people. Our people broke down the campsites during
          breaks so we didn't have a 90 minute break down afterwards.

          Pete Mullaney

        • Dianne Marshall
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2001
            I will let them know afterwards! I have rounded up a few more staff and will
            access to some more boy scouts to help set up and take down. I still have no
            one signed up but I plan on a all out sign up Thurs day at Roundtable/Youth
            Protection Trainig.

            Dianne Marshall
            I used to be a Bobwhite W1-610-00
            (I get my beads tomorrow night!)

            "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]" wrote:

            > We had 6 sign up and got 4. Actually it's probably easier
            > with a small group the first time. Just remember to tell
            > your 6 attendees that they will make up the next staff ;-).
            >
            > Pete Mullaney
            > Bobwhite NE-II-92
            >
            > > ----------
            > > From: Dianne Marshall
            > > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] BALOO schedule
            > >
            > > > Thanks for sharing the alternative schedule for BALOO.
            > >
            > > How many people have people had at their Baloo training? We are doing a
            > > first shot at it and I think I will be lucky to have 6 this time (we have
            > > about 25 packs, a bunch are LDS and there is a father son event that
            > > weekend,
            > > and it is Webelos Woods) I was going to do it with the help of my son a
            > > Life
            > > scout. The Round Robin seems like something we will modify to more like a
            > > rapid fire as we move as a whole group. I plan to set everything up
            > > ahead.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions.
            > >
            > > Dianne Marshall
            > > I used to be a Bobwhite