Electronic course evaluations

  • JNDunnMN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2007
      Good morning every one,

      First I'd like to welcome all the new members. 10 new people have joined the group in the past week! Quite a growth spurt.

      I had a question about course evaluations. There must have been something in the water last month when we ran BALOO and OWLS. We had evaluations all printed, in fact we took special trouble to print them. BUT, both the BALOO course director and I forgot to distribute them. However, we'd still like feedback from the courses. I considered mailing the forms, but didn't think I'd get a very high return.

      Has anyone used a service like Survey Monkey (www.surveymonkey.com) to conduct a course evaluation or for another Scouting questionnaire? I have e-mail addresses for 90% of the participants, so I should be able to get the questions out with no trouble. My boss recently taught a training session for an online database product, and the vendor used Survey Monkey to distribute the questions. They tabulate the responses, and summarize everything (including all the written comments). I am planning to use this method, but thought I'd see if anyone had experience doing this before I send the questionnaire.

      Pack Trainer
      Pack 512, Blaine/Coon Rapids Minnesota
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      3 Rivers District

    • Warren Kraft
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2007
        Jamie
        Our national (professional) association used this resource when surveying the membership about the recently concluded mid-year seminar in DC and the up-and-coming annual conference in Nashville. Sitting on the program planning committee, I found the results quite useful as we shifted our focus "slightly" to accomdoate some great suggestions for this fall's get-toogether. We acheived about 30% return using only e-mail solicitation.

        Left "stuff" behind, didchya? Hmmm: scoutmaster left the photocpies of the Monthly Program Themes at his office when the PLC held its annual planning conference. My son had to bring me my ceremonies notebook a couple weekends ago for Spring Conference; it was sitting right next to my water bottle.

        salute'

        Yours In Scouting,
        wpkraft, Chaplain
        Twin Lakes District, Bay-Lakes Council
        Troop 615, Oshkosh
        http://www.troop615.0catch.com
        Bobwhite, C-09-02

        I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.
        I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

        Abraham Lincoln

      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2007
          Survey Monkey seems to be a decent service.

          There is also the ability to use the Yahoo Groups "Poll" feature
          for some of the items, but I don't know how extensive that is.
          However, it may be limited to only one question. :/

          Sorry I can't help more.

          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
          District Committee Member at Large
          -- Stephen R. Covey
        • Robert Wilson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2007
            On 6/19/07, JNDunnMN@... <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

            > Good morning every one,
            >

            > Has anyone used a service like Survey Monkey (www.surveymonkey.com) to
            > conduct a course evaluation or for another Scouting questionnaire? I have
            > e-mail addresses for 90% of the participants, so I should be able to get the
            > questions out with no trouble. My boss

            The folks at the school I work use this for faculty and student surveys.
            Unfortunately (or fortunately), I don't know much about it other than they
            use it on a regular basis and it seems to work.

            Robert

          • scoutaboutpack26
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2007
              We have used if for camp-out planning to see preferences of location
              before we scheduled a camp-out

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Wilson" <fishnscout@...>