Re: [Scouter_T] Training ideas needed

  • Chad C. Cooper
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
      I like Jamie's Health & Safety suggestion.

      We usually take one of our Roundtables with a joint Boy/Cub audience to
      cover Webelos transition. How to form partnerships between Troop/Pack
      units, planning, cooperation, recruiting, etc. Basically, best
      practices as identified by our training and commissioner core. However,
      I'm not sure that June is the best time to present this. We tend to
      tackle this in October or November.

      - Chad
      Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council

    • tomb@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
        June is a good month for a roundtable training outdoor BBQ.
        This gives the opportunity for outdoor hands-on training in nature skills that readily encompass both the boy scout and cub sides.
        Borrow some animal feet from a local nature preserve (if you don't already have access to a cast foot selection on your own). First make some tracks, provide a track id handout and break up the group into dens/patrols for id competition. Then have plaster of paris on hand so everyone can cast their own tracks.
        Plant/tree Id/scavenger hunt including leaf and bark tracings.
        If you have a suitable site, add a campfire demo of ceremonial firelighting skills, campfire etiquette, showman songs and skits. Make it fun and full audience participation.
        Tom Brenner
        Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner