Re: [Scouter_T] Training ideas needed

  • Garry McLeary
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
      Try talking to the Cubs about Pack camping, safty wear to go etc. Boy Scouts might need some training on Merit Badge Coucilers.
      yis
      Garry

      John Halter <john@...> wrote:
      I need some ideas for a training that can be put together without too
      much trouble and that would be interesting to both Boy Scouts and Cub
      Scouts. We typically offer a training of some sort for our June
      Roundtable and in the past have offered Youth Protection Training,
      Safety Afloat/Safe Swim Defense, etc. I'm looking for something a
      little different, especially since the previous listed training is
      available online now. Any ideas?

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      District Commissioner
      Wekiwa District
      Central FL Council, B.S.A.
      www.wekiwa.org
      "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

    • Chad C. Cooper
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
        I like Jamie's Health & Safety suggestion.

        We usually take one of our Roundtables with a joint Boy/Cub audience to
        cover Webelos transition. How to form partnerships between Troop/Pack
        units, planning, cooperation, recruiting, etc. Basically, best
        practices as identified by our training and commissioner core. However,
        I'm not sure that June is the best time to present this. We tend to
        tackle this in October or November.

        - Chad
        Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council

      • tomb@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
          June is a good month for a roundtable training outdoor BBQ.
          This gives the opportunity for outdoor hands-on training in nature skills that readily encompass both the boy scout and cub sides.
          Borrow some animal feet from a local nature preserve (if you don't already have access to a cast foot selection on your own). First make some tracks, provide a track id handout and break up the group into dens/patrols for id competition. Then have plaster of paris on hand so everyone can cast their own tracks.
          Plant/tree Id/scavenger hunt including leaf and bark tracings.
          If you have a suitable site, add a campfire demo of ceremonial firelighting skills, campfire etiquette, showman songs and skits. Make it fun and full audience participation.
          Tom Brenner
          Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner