Re: Training ideas needed

  • tbird558trng
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
      Good point, Jamie, exactly what I was thinking.

      John,

      The course introduction reads:

      "This course is to be offered to all unit leaders, district staff,
      and council staff. All leaders should receive this training every
      two years. The council health and safety committee and/or risk
      management committee, with the consent of the Scout executive, has
      the responsibility to appoint persons who are qualified to instruct
      the BSA Health and Safety Training Course. This course is to be
      conducted in concert with the district/council training plan."

      This course seems to have been one of Scouting's best kept secrets
      in our neck of the woods. The syllabus is a bin item, btw, 19-
      100A. If you want to offer this and can't get it in time for your
      RT, please let me know.

      YIS,
      Jim Eddy
      Training Chair
      Thunderbird District
      Chickasaw Council
      Memphis, TN
    • Garry McLeary
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
        Try talking to the Cubs about Pack camping, safty wear to go etc. Boy Scouts might need some training on Merit Badge Coucilers.
        yis
        Garry

        John Halter <john@...> wrote:
        I need some ideas for a training that can be put together without too
        much trouble and that would be interesting to both Boy Scouts and Cub
        Scouts. We typically offer a training of some sort for our June
        Roundtable and in the past have offered Youth Protection Training,
        Safety Afloat/Safe Swim Defense, etc. I'm looking for something a
        little different, especially since the previous listed training is
        available online now. Any ideas?

        Thank you,

        John Halter
        District Commissioner
        Wekiwa District
        Central FL Council, B.S.A.
        www.wekiwa.org
        "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
        ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

      • Chad C. Cooper
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
          I like Jamie's Health & Safety suggestion.

          We usually take one of our Roundtables with a joint Boy/Cub audience to
          cover Webelos transition. How to form partnerships between Troop/Pack
          units, planning, cooperation, recruiting, etc. Basically, best
          practices as identified by our training and commissioner core. However,
          I'm not sure that June is the best time to present this. We tend to
          tackle this in October or November.

          - Chad
          Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council

        • tomb@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
            June is a good month for a roundtable training outdoor BBQ.
            This gives the opportunity for outdoor hands-on training in nature skills that readily encompass both the boy scout and cub sides.
            Borrow some animal feet from a local nature preserve (if you don't already have access to a cast foot selection on your own). First make some tracks, provide a track id handout and break up the group into dens/patrols for id competition. Then have plaster of paris on hand so everyone can cast their own tracks.
            Plant/tree Id/scavenger hunt including leaf and bark tracings.
            If you have a suitable site, add a campfire demo of ceremonial firelighting skills, campfire etiquette, showman songs and skits. Make it fun and full audience participation.
            Tom Brenner
            Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner