Training ideas needed

  • John Halter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
      I need some ideas for a training that can be put together without too
      much trouble and that would be interesting to both Boy Scouts and Cub
      Scouts. We typically offer a training of some sort for our June
      Roundtable and in the past have offered Youth Protection Training,
      Safety Afloat/Safe Swim Defense, etc. I'm looking for something a
      little different, especially since the previous listed training is
      available online now. Any ideas?

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      District Commissioner
      Wekiwa District
      Central FL Council, B.S.A.
      www.wekiwa.org
      "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
    • JNDunnMN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
        John - Have you done the Health & Safety training - it take about 1.5 hrs, but would be useful to both groups, and is often something they've never been exposed to.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer
        Pack 512, Blaine/Coon Rapids Minnesota
        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        3 Rivers District

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
          Good point, Jamie, exactly what I was thinking.

          John,

          The course introduction reads:

          "This course is to be offered to all unit leaders, district staff,
          and council staff. All leaders should receive this training every
          two years. The council health and safety committee and/or risk
          management committee, with the consent of the Scout executive, has
          the responsibility to appoint persons who are qualified to instruct
          the BSA Health and Safety Training Course. This course is to be
          conducted in concert with the district/council training plan."

          This course seems to have been one of Scouting's best kept secrets
          in our neck of the woods. The syllabus is a bin item, btw, 19-
          100A. If you want to offer this and can't get it in time for your
          RT, please let me know.

          YIS,
          Jim Eddy
          Training Chair
          Thunderbird District
          Chickasaw Council
          Memphis, TN
        • Garry McLeary
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
            Try talking to the Cubs about Pack camping, safty wear to go etc. Boy Scouts might need some training on Merit Badge Coucilers.
            yis
            Garry

            John Halter <john@...> wrote:
            I need some ideas for a training that can be put together without too
            much trouble and that would be interesting to both Boy Scouts and Cub
            Scouts. We typically offer a training of some sort for our June
            Roundtable and in the past have offered Youth Protection Training,
            Safety Afloat/Safe Swim Defense, etc. I'm looking for something a
            little different, especially since the previous listed training is
            available online now. Any ideas?

            Thank you,

            John Halter
            District Commissioner
            Wekiwa District
            Central FL Council, B.S.A.
            www.wekiwa.org
            "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
            ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

          • Chad C. Cooper
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
              I like Jamie's Health & Safety suggestion.

              We usually take one of our Roundtables with a joint Boy/Cub audience to
              cover Webelos transition. How to form partnerships between Troop/Pack
              units, planning, cooperation, recruiting, etc. Basically, best
              practices as identified by our training and commissioner core. However,
              I'm not sure that June is the best time to present this. We tend to
              tackle this in October or November.

              - Chad
              Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council

            • tomb@optonline.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
                June is a good month for a roundtable training outdoor BBQ.
                This gives the opportunity for outdoor hands-on training in nature skills that readily encompass both the boy scout and cub sides.
                Borrow some animal feet from a local nature preserve (if you don't already have access to a cast foot selection on your own). First make some tracks, provide a track id handout and break up the group into dens/patrols for id competition. Then have plaster of paris on hand so everyone can cast their own tracks.
                Plant/tree Id/scavenger hunt including leaf and bark tracings.
                If you have a suitable site, add a campfire demo of ceremonial firelighting skills, campfire etiquette, showman songs and skits. Make it fun and full audience participation.
                Tom Brenner
                Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner