Re: Breaking news from Philmont - Training

  • Mikedunne@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 9, 2007
      additionally, here's a recent Scouting Magazine article on NAYLE

      _http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=Scouuting+Magazine_
      (http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=Scouuting+Magazine)

      Scouting's take on NYLT

      _http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=Scouuting+Magazine_
      (http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=Scouuting+Magazine)

      YiS
      Mike Dunne

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 9, 2007
        I am very excited to tell you all that my son is attending NAYLE in July!! I am so proud of him. He was chosen by the Scoutmater to go. He is 17 has staffed NYLT for 3 years and will staff next spring as an ASM............

        Mikedunne@... wrote: A couple of things regarding the news from PTC:
        NAYLE replaces the old NJLIC, or National Junior Leader Instructor Camp (or
        maybe Conference). Instead of focusing on presentation skills, the idea is
        NAYLE let's participants "live" the concepts taught in the Council-level
        National Youth Leadership Training conference.

        The youth leadership training continium now is:
        Troop Leadership Training (TLT), obviously the troop-level youth leader
        training conducted by SM and SPL
        NYLT -- council level
        NAYLE -- national level (at Philmont Rocky Mountain Scout Camp and the scout
        ranch in general)

        By now, Wood Badge is using the same terminology and concepts as NYLT/TLT
        and NAYLE.

        If your council and troop aren't taking advantage of these new programs, you
        should (I am biased).

        They are simple and effective and track modern team leadership training.
        Like many things, there are still many who are not happy with change but the
        train has left the station.

        Yours in Scouting,

        Mike Dunne
        Vice-chair for program, Istrouma Area Council, Baton Rouge
        National Youth Leadership Training Task Force member and syllabus design
        team member
        Southern Region Wood Badge Committee, SR-1 area coordinator
        old training geezer

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        connie

      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2007
          Fixing Mike's typos :-):

          http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0601/a-lern.html
          http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0703/a-scou.html

          http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0410/a-anew.html%c2%a0(note this is from a very early stage of NYLT development, when they were still calling it JLT)

          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Pack Trainer
          Pack 512, Blaine/Coon Rapids Minnesota
          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          3 Rivers District

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 11, 2007
            In a message dated 6/9/07 2:43:43 PM, cknie23100@... writes:

            > He was chosen by the Scoutmater to go.

            Congratulations. However, there is no particular selection for NAYLE.
            It is open to any Scout who has completed NYLT in their local council.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton