Why Webelos Act the way they do

  • S. Kelly Parker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2007
      Margo--
      Sounds like you're on your way to some great times at Pack Meetings.
      The mystery hunt is a great idea.
      Think about "Ages and Stages" for a moment. During the first eight
      years of a child's life, they are mainly learning about the world and
      how to decode the information in it--they are learning to read, write,
      use numbers and symbols. Somewhere in there, for most children, the
      magic happens and they are able to use those skills to actually learn
      new things--facts and figures, names and places, and to create their
      own ideas. Just as your perception of distance changes when you change
      modes of transportation (from walking to driving, for example) the
      child's perception of ideas begins to change, and include "doing his
      own thing with his friends". For a nine-year-old, that is a new tool,
      and he just has to take it out and bang on things with it!
      All kinds of things begin to drop into place at this age--and Webelos
      is a rowdy age! The key is to understand that and keep the action
      going. They can be the Cubmaster's best ally in making fantastic Pack
      Meetings, but you have to work at it.
      Don't worry--you'll do great!

      Kelly Parker
      Pueblo Training Chair
      Dad to two college kids,
      and lots of other things too numerous to use in a signature line
    • Margo Mead
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2007
        Thanks Kelly. I may be a hopeless case after wondering this for 4 years as
        Cubmaster now, but I'll try to do better for the next year and a half that
        I'll be Cubmaster still. :-)

        Regards--

        Margo Mead

        Portland, Oregon