RE: [Scouter_T] Wild Webelos and Activities

  • Margo Mead
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
      You have some good suggestions. I just wish I could figure out why they're
      better-behaved when they're younger and then when they hit Webelos age, seem
      to think that it's ok to run around before pack meetings whooping and
      hollering, that they should be able to sit in their seats and make random
      annoying noises while I'm trying to do ceremonies, that they don't need to
      look in all my stuff to see what ceremony I'm going to do and discover the
      secret to the color-changing water ceremony, etc. I've been a Cubmaster for
      4 years now and it's always the Webelos who suddenly become like this.

      At this last pack meeting we had a mystery. We sent the boys out for a few
      minutes and told the parents what we were doing, then we called the boys
      back in and sent one of them to go get the guessing jar-and it was missing!
      There were clues to be found on the items (hats, ties, books, and
      newspapers) that we had given out to the parents and siblings. While I was
      trying to give instruction to the group about how they needed to show their
      badges and ask the "suspects" nicely to see the item to see if it was the
      one they were searching for, I had to shush about 3 Webelos scouts, not
      because they were talking, but because they were trying to be Bobby
      McFerrin. I think they're feeding off each other.

      We're working on getting the Webelos to actually have something to
      demonstrate every month. I've been dealing in the past with a Webelos leader
      who rarely communicated with us and often didn't even show up to pack
      meetings, much less have his den prepare something to demonstrate. We got a
      new Webelos leader to help the other one, and the new one's wife is my
      assistant Cubmaster, so things are improving.

      Regards--

      Margo Mead

      Portland, Oregon

      meadclan@...