RE: [Scouter_T] Wild Webelos and Activities

  • Dan Kurtenbach
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
      Kelly, Bravo! Great message about how a Pack "Meeting" should work. I
      really don't like the term "Meeting" -- it's really a show! A variety show,
      with funny parts (jokes, run-ons), musical parts (songs), theatrical parts
      (skits), rousing parts (cheers), dramatic parts (awards ceremonies) and even
      serious parts (flag ceremonies, demonstration of a skill or accomplishment,
      Cubmaster minute). Kelly has laid it out well -- short segments, keep it
      moving, find a flow (don't immediately jump from funny to serious; time the
      loudest, craziest part for about 2/3 of the way through). Please, please,
      use dramatic ceremonies that tell a story -- don't stand up there and just
      hand out envelopes with the boys' badges in them. Finally, have at least
      one high-energy adult to be the clown, cheerleader, and person of many
      costumes who has a grasp of the "fun meter" and is always ready to jump in
      with a joke or silly song when needed. It doesn't have to be the Cubmaster
      -- a "sidekick" will do just fine.

      Dan Kurtenbach
      Fairfax, VA
    • Margo Mead
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
        You have some good suggestions. I just wish I could figure out why they're
        better-behaved when they're younger and then when they hit Webelos age, seem
        to think that it's ok to run around before pack meetings whooping and
        hollering, that they should be able to sit in their seats and make random
        annoying noises while I'm trying to do ceremonies, that they don't need to
        look in all my stuff to see what ceremony I'm going to do and discover the
        secret to the color-changing water ceremony, etc. I've been a Cubmaster for
        4 years now and it's always the Webelos who suddenly become like this.

        At this last pack meeting we had a mystery. We sent the boys out for a few
        minutes and told the parents what we were doing, then we called the boys
        back in and sent one of them to go get the guessing jar-and it was missing!
        There were clues to be found on the items (hats, ties, books, and
        newspapers) that we had given out to the parents and siblings. While I was
        trying to give instruction to the group about how they needed to show their
        badges and ask the "suspects" nicely to see the item to see if it was the
        one they were searching for, I had to shush about 3 Webelos scouts, not
        because they were talking, but because they were trying to be Bobby
        McFerrin. I think they're feeding off each other.

        We're working on getting the Webelos to actually have something to
        demonstrate every month. I've been dealing in the past with a Webelos leader
        who rarely communicated with us and often didn't even show up to pack
        meetings, much less have his den prepare something to demonstrate. We got a
        new Webelos leader to help the other one, and the new one's wife is my
        assistant Cubmaster, so things are improving.

        Regards--

        Margo Mead

        Portland, Oregon

        meadclan@...