Webelos at PowWow

  • S. Kelly Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      For PowWow here in Grand Canyon Council, we have offered a
      Webelos section for a number of years. Each hour is broken out to
      cover a different group of badges, offering materials and ideas on
      where to go and do different activities for the pins.
      One technique that a friend who has led 4 or 5 Webelos Dens (he
      has 3 boys and loves Webelos) is to DELEGATE the pins to parents. At
      the first parent meeting, when the guys are in 4th Grade, they divide
      out who will cover what pin over the next 18 months. They also attend
      the Webelos experiences at the Council camps, and hike the local
      parks. The key is to insist on help and don't accept No for an
      answer.
      Just about every pin can include a field trip. We have a local
      Mineral Museum that does all of Geologist. Get an EMT at a fire
      station to help with Readyman. Use the facilities at the local YMCA
      for Athlete. A person with little or no experience can make phone
      calls and set things like this up. In addition, the boy can be proud
      that it was HIS Mom or Dad who set up this great activity.
      Scouting doesn't have to be boring. It just has to focus on what
      boys want, need, and like to do.

      Kelly Parker
      Pueblo District Training Chair and UC
      Grand Canyon Council, Phoenix, AZ
      "I used to be a Bobwhite, an Eagle, a Cubmaster, a Scoutmaster, a
      Committee Chairman, a husband, a father, a son...and some other stuff"