Re: committee challenge

  • joe parajecki
    Message 1 of 9 , May 18, 2007
      This trraining class was just offered in my ajoining district this
      week. The way I understand it is it is offered during leader specific
      training to anyone who signs up for it all you have to do is ask.
      Joe Parajecki
      Fox River District
      Training Chair
      Southeast Wisconsin Council
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...>
      wrote:

      > 1. BSA National, Boy Scout division stated that they had run out of
      stock and decided not to print any more and if you want this training
      you must go on line at BSA.org and take this training there.

      > 2. I asked about leaders who didn't own a computer, they had no
      answer except to take it on line.

      > Yours In Scouting
      > Mike Crothers
      >
      > Assistant District Commissioner
      > Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
      > Spanish Trails District
      > Catalina Council

      > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

      Challenge

      > 33643 was discontinued and not available. I know there is an
      online

      > version. But does this mean classroom training is not to be
      available

      > any more?
      >

      > Any one have more information on this?
      >

      > Yours in Scouting
      >
      > Henry Landry
      >
      > Allohak District, GRC

      > <!--

      sans-serif;}
      clean, sans-serif;}
      > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
      > #ygrp-text{
      > font-family:Georgia;
      > }
      > #ygrp-text p{
      > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
      > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
      > font-family:Arial;
      > clear:both;}
      > #ygrp-vitnav{
      > #ygrp-vitnav a{
      > padding:0 1px;}
      > #ygrp-actbar{
      align:right;}
      > #ygrp-actbar .left{
      > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
      > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
      > #ygrp-grft{
      > #ygrp-ft{
      > padding:5px 0;
      > }
      > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
      > padding-bottom:10px;}
      >
      > #ygrp-vital{
      > #ygrp-vital #vithd{
      transform:uppercase;}
      > #ygrp-vital ul{
      > padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
      > #ygrp-vital ul li{
      > }
      > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
      align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
      > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
      > font-weight:bold;}
      > #ygrp-vital a {
      > text-decoration:none;}
      >
      > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
      > text-decoration:underline;}
      >
      > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
      > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
      > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
      > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
      > padding:8px 0;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
      size:100%;line-height:122%;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
      > text-decoration:none;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
      > text-decoration:underline;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
      > margin:0;}
      > o {font-size:0;}
      > .MsoNormal {
      > margin:0 0 0 0;}
      > #ygrp-text tt{
      > font-size:120%;}
      > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
      > .replbq {margin:4;}
      > -->

    • Sandra Martens
      Message 2 of 9 , May 18, 2007
        any district or council who has the training kits still has the troop
        committee challenge. I myself think the online training just doesn't
        cut it. Who's there to answer questions? Who's there to clarify points?
        Who's there to help you make it unit specific? Who's there to give you
        the one-on-one human contact that makes training fun?

        this putting all the training on line is taking away from scouting the
        one on one, the feeling of togetherness, the feeling of family, the
        networking within units, districts, and councils. it's turning the
        scouting family into little single units who "don't need anyone" to help
        them. they think they don't need district or council help. they start
        doing the program the way they want, not the program set up by National.

        Sandy OWL

        joe parajecki <salmonman@...> wrote: This trraining class was just offered in my ajoining district this
        wrote:

        > 1. BSA National, Boy Scout division stated that they had run out of
        stock and decided not to print any more and if you want this training
        you must go on line at BSA.org and take this training there.

        > 2. I asked about leaders who didn't own a computer, they had no
        answer except to take it on line.

        > Yours In Scouting
        > Mike Crothers
        >
        > Assistant District Commissioner
        > Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
        > Spanish Trails District
        > Catalina Council

        > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

      • Dan Kurtenbach
        Message 3 of 9 , May 18, 2007
          We really need to stop thinking in terms of either/or. What we have to do
          -- by every means possible, at every opportunity we have to interact with
          leaders -- is:

          (a) Create the view (and orient others to it) that "training" is a
          continuous process that happens every time two or more Scouters meet and
          talk about Scouting, and every time a Scouter picks up a BSA publication or
          watches a video. Training is not just a particular course; training is
          every (correct) thing we learn about Scouting, regardless of the how, when,
          or where. Training is all around us, all the time.

          (b) Promote an atmosphere and attitude that puts a high value on continuous
          learning, continuous development of knowledge, skill, and experience. All
          too often we hear Scouters disparage training, or the need for more training
          -- and they get away with it. We want an environment in which neglecting
          training is socially unacceptable, and in which training -- by any and every
          means -- is recognized and rewarded.

          Dan Kurtenbach
          Fairfax, VA
        • Robert Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 23, 2007
            On 5/18/07, Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:

            > At some point, however, BSA is going to have to make a decision as
            > to hom much training it's going to put on the web for "self study".
            > While tose courses make the material availab eto a wider number of
            > people, they also have the disadvantage of no interaction with
            > others. So, you can't ask the instructor exactly what he/she meant,
            > and no one else in the class can help interpret the answers to you,
            > if you don't "get it" right off.

            The online training works for self study. They should figure out how to
            provide a place to ask questions and FAQs. Maybe the questions could be
            directed to the local council via email. Where it needs to go from here is
            towards a more interactive format. For example, wouldn't it be great if the
            best Troop Committee Challenge instructor on the planet was available over
            the Internet for an interactive course? The course could have bidirectional
            conversations, slide shows, videos, Instant Messaging, and about any other
            type services available on the net. This current revision of training seems
            to be a small step toward what could be more and better/more consistently
            trained leaders. Would this be as intimate as a classroom, no, but it would
            allow for the interaction that the current technique lacks.

            Robert

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
              My scout shop has two in stock plus my troop has one. as well...