Re: [Scouter_T] committee challenge

  • NeilLup@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 18, 2007
      In a message dated 5/18/07 1:08:01 PM, hlandry@... writes:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > Today I was told by national supply that the Troop Committee Challenge
      > 33643 was discontinued and not available. I know there is an online
      > version. But does this mean classroom training is not to be available
      > any more?
      >
      > Any one have more information on this?
      >
      > Yours in Scouting
      > Henry Landry
      > Allohak District, GRC
      >
      > Hello Henry,

      I believe that the board game will no longer be available as you have found.
      Apparently, it was very expensive to produce and very, very few copies were
      being sold.

      When I asked, I was told that the options are:

      1) Project the on-line game on a screen or wall and us it for the
      classroom training
      2) Find one of the remaining game boards and use that (When last I
      checked, there was one for sale on EBay. I personally have one.)
      3) Conduct the training without the game board.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton

    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 9 , May 18, 2007
        This brings out a problem that I have seen with most BSA trainings
        that have been offerred: Not enough time is allotted to get the
        whole training in, so something ends up inevetably being cut.
        Whether that part is important or not is up to debate.

        From my point of view, having given that training, the game adds
        little real substance to the content of the course. What it _does_
        do is reenforce what has alread been learned in the previous portion
        of the course. This reenforcement is where the real value of the
        game lies.

        At some point, however, BSA is going to have to make a decision as
        to hom much training it's going to put on the web for "self study".
        While tose courses make the material availab eto a wider number of
        people, they also have the disadvantage of no interaction with
        others. So, you can't ask the instructor exactly what he/she meant,
        and no one else in the class can help interpret the answers to you,
        if you don't "get it" right off.

        To me, all we're doing is swapping the 3 hours of class time for 2-3
        hours of PC time on the Internet. Neither one is adding to the
        quality time of inteacting with the family. The in-person course at
        a specific location can be justified as training time to the family.
        Sitting in fron of the PC is not likely to be considered justified
        by other members of the family, when all you're doing is "playing
        on the PC".

        That's been my unfortunate experience...

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        District Committee Member at Large
        -- Stephen R. Covey
      • joe parajecki
        Message 3 of 9 , May 18, 2007
          This trraining class was just offered in my ajoining district this
          week. The way I understand it is it is offered during leader specific
          training to anyone who signs up for it all you have to do is ask.
          Joe Parajecki
          Fox River District
          Training Chair
          Southeast Wisconsin Council
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...>
          wrote:

          > 1. BSA National, Boy Scout division stated that they had run out of
          stock and decided not to print any more and if you want this training
          you must go on line at BSA.org and take this training there.

          > 2. I asked about leaders who didn't own a computer, they had no
          answer except to take it on line.

          > Yours In Scouting
          > Mike Crothers
          >
          > Assistant District Commissioner
          > Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
          > Spanish Trails District
          > Catalina Council

          > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

          align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
          > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          > font-weight:bold;}
          > #ygrp-vital a {
          > text-decoration:none;}
          >
          > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          > text-decoration:underline;}
          >
          > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          > padding:8px 0;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          size:100%;line-height:122%;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          > text-decoration:none;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          > text-decoration:underline;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          > margin:0;}
          > o {font-size:0;}
          > .MsoNormal {
          > margin:0 0 0 0;}
          > #ygrp-text tt{
          > font-size:120%;}
          > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          > .replbq {margin:4;}
          > -->

        • Sandra Martens
          Message 4 of 9 , May 18, 2007
            any district or council who has the training kits still has the troop
            committee challenge. I myself think the online training just doesn't
            cut it. Who's there to answer questions? Who's there to clarify points?
            Who's there to help you make it unit specific? Who's there to give you
            the one-on-one human contact that makes training fun?

            this putting all the training on line is taking away from scouting the
            one on one, the feeling of togetherness, the feeling of family, the
            networking within units, districts, and councils. it's turning the
            scouting family into little single units who "don't need anyone" to help
            them. they think they don't need district or council help. they start
            doing the program the way they want, not the program set up by National.

            Sandy OWL

            joe parajecki <salmonman@...> wrote: This trraining class was just offered in my ajoining district this
            wrote:

            > 1. BSA National, Boy Scout division stated that they had run out of
            stock and decided not to print any more and if you want this training
            you must go on line at BSA.org and take this training there.

            > 2. I asked about leaders who didn't own a computer, they had no
            answer except to take it on line.

            > Yours In Scouting
            > Mike Crothers
            >
            > Assistant District Commissioner
            > Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
            > Spanish Trails District
            > Catalina Council

            > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

          • Dan Kurtenbach
            Message 5 of 9 , May 18, 2007
              We really need to stop thinking in terms of either/or. What we have to do
              -- by every means possible, at every opportunity we have to interact with
              leaders -- is:

              (a) Create the view (and orient others to it) that "training" is a
              continuous process that happens every time two or more Scouters meet and
              talk about Scouting, and every time a Scouter picks up a BSA publication or
              watches a video. Training is not just a particular course; training is
              every (correct) thing we learn about Scouting, regardless of the how, when,
              or where. Training is all around us, all the time.

              (b) Promote an atmosphere and attitude that puts a high value on continuous
              learning, continuous development of knowledge, skill, and experience. All
              too often we hear Scouters disparage training, or the need for more training
              -- and they get away with it. We want an environment in which neglecting
              training is socially unacceptable, and in which training -- by any and every
              means -- is recognized and rewarded.

              Dan Kurtenbach
              Fairfax, VA
            • Robert Wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 23, 2007
                On 5/18/07, Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:

                > At some point, however, BSA is going to have to make a decision as
                > to hom much training it's going to put on the web for "self study".
                > While tose courses make the material availab eto a wider number of
                > people, they also have the disadvantage of no interaction with
                > others. So, you can't ask the instructor exactly what he/she meant,
                > and no one else in the class can help interpret the answers to you,
                > if you don't "get it" right off.

                The online training works for self study. They should figure out how to
                provide a place to ask questions and FAQs. Maybe the questions could be
                directed to the local council via email. Where it needs to go from here is
                towards a more interactive format. For example, wouldn't it be great if the
                best Troop Committee Challenge instructor on the planet was available over
                the Internet for an interactive course? The course could have bidirectional
                conversations, slide shows, videos, Instant Messaging, and about any other
                type services available on the net. This current revision of training seems
                to be a small step toward what could be more and better/more consistently
                trained leaders. Would this be as intimate as a classroom, no, but it would
                allow for the interaction that the current technique lacks.

                Robert

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                  My scout shop has two in stock plus my troop has one. as well...