committee challenge

  • landry11111
    Message 1 of 9 , May 18, 2007
      Hello all,

      Today I was told by national supply that the Troop Committee Challenge
      33643 was discontinued and not available. I know there is an online
      version. But does this mean classroom training is not to be available
      any more?

      Any one have more information on this?

      Yours in Scouting
      Henry Landry
      Allohak District, GRC
    • Michael Crothers
      Message 2 of 9 , May 18, 2007
        1. BSA National, Boy Scout division stated that they had run out of stock and decided not to print any more and if you want this training you must go on line at BSA.org and take this training there.

        2. I asked about leaders who didn't own a computer, they had no answer except to take it on line.

        Yours In Scouting
        Mike Crothers

        Assistant District Commissioner
        Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
        Spanish Trails District
        Catalina Council

        and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
        and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

        Today I was told by national supply that the Troop Committee Challenge

        33643 was discontinued and not available. I know there is an online

        version. But does this mean classroom training is not to be available

        any more?

        Any one have more information on this?

        Yours in Scouting

        Henry Landry

        Allohak District, GRC

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o {font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal {
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq {margin:4;}
        -->

        Message 3 of 9 , May 18, 2007
          In a message dated 5/18/07 1:08:01 PM, hlandry@... writes:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > Today I was told by national supply that the Troop Committee Challenge
          > 33643 was discontinued and not available. I know there is an online
          > version. But does this mean classroom training is not to be available
          > any more?
          >
          > Any one have more information on this?
          >
          > Yours in Scouting
          > Henry Landry
          > Allohak District, GRC
          >
          > Hello Henry,

          I believe that the board game will no longer be available as you have found.
          Apparently, it was very expensive to produce and very, very few copies were
          being sold.

          When I asked, I was told that the options are:

          1) Project the on-line game on a screen or wall and us it for the
          classroom training
          2) Find one of the remaining game boards and use that (When last I
          checked, there was one for sale on EBay. I personally have one.)
          3) Conduct the training without the game board.

          Best wishes,

          Neil Lupton

        • Scouter Chuck
          Message 4 of 9 , May 18, 2007
            This brings out a problem that I have seen with most BSA trainings
            that have been offerred: Not enough time is allotted to get the
            whole training in, so something ends up inevetably being cut.
            Whether that part is important or not is up to debate.

            From my point of view, having given that training, the game adds
            little real substance to the content of the course. What it _does_
            do is reenforce what has alread been learned in the previous portion
            of the course. This reenforcement is where the real value of the
            game lies.

            At some point, however, BSA is going to have to make a decision as
            to hom much training it's going to put on the web for "self study".
            While tose courses make the material availab eto a wider number of
            people, they also have the disadvantage of no interaction with
            others. So, you can't ask the instructor exactly what he/she meant,
            and no one else in the class can help interpret the answers to you,
            if you don't "get it" right off.

            To me, all we're doing is swapping the 3 hours of class time for 2-3
            hours of PC time on the Internet. Neither one is adding to the
            quality time of inteacting with the family. The in-person course at
            a specific location can be justified as training time to the family.
            Sitting in fron of the PC is not likely to be considered justified
            by other members of the family, when all you're doing is "playing
            on the PC".

            That's been my unfortunate experience...

            I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
            District Committee Member at Large
            -- Stephen R. Covey
          • joe parajecki
            Message 5 of 9 , May 18, 2007
              This trraining class was just offered in my ajoining district this
              week. The way I understand it is it is offered during leader specific
              training to anyone who signs up for it all you have to do is ask.
              Joe Parajecki
              Fox River District
              Training Chair
              Southeast Wisconsin Council
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...>
              wrote:

              > 1. BSA National, Boy Scout division stated that they had run out of
              stock and decided not to print any more and if you want this training
              you must go on line at BSA.org and take this training there.

              > 2. I asked about leaders who didn't own a computer, they had no
              answer except to take it on line.

              > Yours In Scouting
              > Mike Crothers
              >
              > Assistant District Commissioner
              > Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
              > Spanish Trails District
              > Catalina Council

              > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

              align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              > font-weight:bold;}
              > #ygrp-vital a {
              > text-decoration:none;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              > text-decoration:underline;}
              >
              > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              > padding:8px 0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              size:100%;line-height:122%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              > text-decoration:none;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              > text-decoration:underline;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              > margin:0;}
              > o {font-size:0;}
              > .MsoNormal {
              > margin:0 0 0 0;}
              > #ygrp-text tt{
              > font-size:120%;}
              > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              > .replbq {margin:4;}
              > -->

            • Sandra Martens
              Message 6 of 9 , May 18, 2007
                any district or council who has the training kits still has the troop
                committee challenge. I myself think the online training just doesn't
                cut it. Who's there to answer questions? Who's there to clarify points?
                Who's there to help you make it unit specific? Who's there to give you
                the one-on-one human contact that makes training fun?

                this putting all the training on line is taking away from scouting the
                one on one, the feeling of togetherness, the feeling of family, the
                networking within units, districts, and councils. it's turning the
                scouting family into little single units who "don't need anyone" to help
                them. they think they don't need district or council help. they start
                doing the program the way they want, not the program set up by National.

                Sandy OWL

                joe parajecki <salmonman@...> wrote: This trraining class was just offered in my ajoining district this
                wrote:

                > 1. BSA National, Boy Scout division stated that they had run out of
                stock and decided not to print any more and if you want this training
                you must go on line at BSA.org and take this training there.

                > 2. I asked about leaders who didn't own a computer, they had no
                answer except to take it on line.

                > Yours In Scouting
                > Mike Crothers
                >
                > Assistant District Commissioner
                > Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
                > Spanish Trails District
                > Catalina Council

                > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

              • Dan Kurtenbach
                Message 7 of 9 , May 18, 2007
                  We really need to stop thinking in terms of either/or. What we have to do
                  -- by every means possible, at every opportunity we have to interact with
                  leaders -- is:

                  (a) Create the view (and orient others to it) that "training" is a
                  continuous process that happens every time two or more Scouters meet and
                  talk about Scouting, and every time a Scouter picks up a BSA publication or
                  watches a video. Training is not just a particular course; training is
                  every (correct) thing we learn about Scouting, regardless of the how, when,
                  or where. Training is all around us, all the time.

                  (b) Promote an atmosphere and attitude that puts a high value on continuous
                  learning, continuous development of knowledge, skill, and experience. All
                  too often we hear Scouters disparage training, or the need for more training
                  -- and they get away with it. We want an environment in which neglecting
                  training is socially unacceptable, and in which training -- by any and every
                  means -- is recognized and rewarded.

                  Dan Kurtenbach
                  Fairfax, VA
                • Robert Wilson
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 23, 2007
                    On 5/18/07, Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:

                    > At some point, however, BSA is going to have to make a decision as
                    > to hom much training it's going to put on the web for "self study".
                    > While tose courses make the material availab eto a wider number of
                    > people, they also have the disadvantage of no interaction with
                    > others. So, you can't ask the instructor exactly what he/she meant,
                    > and no one else in the class can help interpret the answers to you,
                    > if you don't "get it" right off.

                    The online training works for self study. They should figure out how to
                    provide a place to ask questions and FAQs. Maybe the questions could be
                    directed to the local council via email. Where it needs to go from here is
                    towards a more interactive format. For example, wouldn't it be great if the
                    best Troop Committee Challenge instructor on the planet was available over
                    the Internet for an interactive course? The course could have bidirectional
                    conversations, slide shows, videos, Instant Messaging, and about any other
                    type services available on the net. This current revision of training seems
                    to be a small step toward what could be more and better/more consistently
                    trained leaders. Would this be as intimate as a classroom, no, but it would
                    allow for the interaction that the current technique lacks.

                    Robert

                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                      My scout shop has two in stock plus my troop has one. as well...