Weird Email

  • Scouting Phreak
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2007
      I am writing to apologize (out of extreme embarrassment) to everyone who
      might have gotten a surprise email from this account
      "SCOUTPHREAK@..."...I
      know I was quite surprised when I opened my gmail and was alerted from a
      couple of you that you had received a strange email from me.

      I am not really sure how gmail did that (I thought it was relatively safe).
      If you've opened the email, I might recommend that you scan your PC incase
      there was/is something attached to it however and where ever it came from.

      My appologies...

      Jeff

    • Brant Lippincott
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2007
        Hi Jeff,

        I don't think it made it through to the Scouter_t list....

        But here's how this happens. Somehow, somewhere, a spammer got ahold of your address. (Try googling yourself - you might find your email.) They have thousands of legit email addresses they use supposedly in the FROM address. They send out the email. I get email all the time that has "john smith" as the name, but MY email. If I'm not careful when I mark it as spam, it put's my email in my banned addresses list and then when I try and BCC myself on email I send out, it is not delivered. Then I have to go reset it.

        There are new technologies happening "as we speak" that will verify the IP address against the "from" address - if it's not right, it's spam. So, if Yahoo's registered mail server was 123.123.123.123 and mail came from me@..., but the IP was 124.124.124.124, it would be marked as spam.

        YiS,
        Brant